Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series

Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
En Ex

I sincerely thought this thread had to do with a different Twilight.

I played half the GDI campaign, but never bothered with NOD...oh wait, I'm thinking of C&C 3. But I was pretty disillusioned with the series at that point, so I never even bothered with 4. Judging from this thread, it doesn't sound like I'm missing much.
En Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
lazy6pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stwasted View Post
Then it's no longer C&C.
CnC Sole Survivor had neither of those things, and yet was considered CnC.
lazy6pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
the1stwasted

Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor is a multiplayer spinoff of the original Command & Conquer game. It features deathmatch-style play in which each player controls a unit of the original Command & Conquer game and travels around the game arena collecting crates to increase the unit's firepower, armor, speed, attack range, and reloading speed. Sole Survivor was compared to a first-person shooter, played with a top-down perspective of the arena. It does not have a single-player mode; the multiplayer mode has no hints of a storyline, and was omitted from inclusion in the Command & Conquer: The First Decade compilation pack.
the1stwasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
lazy6pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stwasted View Post
Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor is a multiplayer spinoff of the original Command & Conquer game. It features deathmatch-style play in which each player controls a unit of the original Command & Conquer game and travels around the game arena collecting crates to increase the unit's firepower, armor, speed, attack range, and reloading speed. Sole Survivor was compared to a first-person shooter, played with a top-down perspective of the arena. It does not have a single-player mode; the multiplayer mode has no hints of a storyline, and was omitted from inclusion in the Command & Conquer: The First Decade compilation pack.

You can copy Wikipedia...congratulations are in order, I guess. Any true CnC fan wouldn't need to copy anything about it, as it's always been the litmus test of sorts. However, it was still titled a CnC game and thus considered as a CnC franchise game regardless of spin-off or not. By the same token CnC4 was slated to become a spin-off entitled CnC Arena.
lazy6pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
the1stwasted

Why type that much when one can simply copy what has already been written? It is also quite common to copy from other sources when posting on forums.

The article was simply to point out that: it was a spinoff;, did not have a SP mode; had no hints of a story line. So, to compair it to the other C&C games is, IMO, wrong.

In any case, it is IMO, not C&C without base building and resorce gathering, and BTW, I have been playing C&C since the very 1st one came out in 1995, and I have been making Maps and mods for quite some years now for Red Alert and Tib Sun.

A true fan does not simply accept anything that a studio throws out. True fans are normaly quite protective when it comes to core game issues. Casual gamers on the other hand are normaly the ones that will buy and defend any piece of crap produced simply because it bares the same name, and a fraction of content from the original, such as Sole Survivor.
They are also a big part of the reason that games have gone to crap, as they will buy pretty much anything put in front of them.

In the case of Twilight, I believe the pathetic sales, massive hatred, and poor reviews speak volumes about the fans opinion, especially when one considers that the 2 main complaints were in fact the lack of Base building and resource gathering.

As I said in an earlier post:
Quote:
C&C without Base building and Resorce gathering is like: Dues Ex without Augs; STALKER without scavenging, Radiation, Artifacts, etc; FEAR without scary things; Killing Floor without Mutants.
Twilight was not even supposed to be the last installment. It was supposed to be a spinoff for the Asian Pro gamer market.
The original devs behind C&C had several more games in mind that would have brought all of the story lines from the previous games to a conclusion. But do to problems, conflicts and ♥. (mentaly challanged) MBAs, the series died a premature death.

Last edited by the1stwasted: 04-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
kitekrazy

I'm a big CnC fans but when this game was on sale for $5 I still passed on it.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
Mogh

It's a Command & Conquer game with no base building or resource gathering. I'll never understand how that idea was conceived, let alone greenlighted.
Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
kitekrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogh View Post
It's a Command & Conquer game with no base building or resource gathering. I'll never understand how that idea was conceived, let alone greenlighted.
After Generals you started to see the games go down hill. The fighting aliens thing is kinda boring. I started to play RA3. While it's prettier and the weapons are more interesting, I prefer the old school C&C. Generals was probably the last that resembled the traditional games.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
the1stwasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogh View Post

look 2 posts above yours.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
Psycold

Anyone else play Renegade back in the day? I was such a big CC fan back in the day, I was willing to try pretty much any spin-off. The C&C4 demo however was the worst thing I ever played.
Psycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
kitekrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycold View Post
Anyone else play Renegade back in the day? I was such a big CC fan back in the day, I was willing to try pretty much any spin-off. The C&C4 demo however was the worst thing I ever played.
Renegade is the one I don't have. How is it?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Xantheonite

They tried to make the game look like SC2, but it ended up worst then SC2.
Xantheonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
lonefalcon

if they used a other IP for the game other then CnC it mite of worked but CnC background of gameplay just don't fit this gameplay mechanics it feels more like it mite of worked with a other game franchise first step into RTS from a other game type
lonefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #29
Nuclearshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantheonite View Post
They tried to make the game look like SC2, but it ended up worst then SC2.
If by SC2 you mean StarCraft 2, you do realize every single one one the more recent C&C games released pre-date Starcraft 2, right?
Nuclearshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
kaorimoch

I can only re-iterate what others have said - this game threw out everything that made Command and Conquer a great franchise and left the most dumbed down game ever. All you do to win is crank out units from your walker .... and thats it. The units follow a paper/rock/scissors mentality which is as complicated as it gets. The only interesting thing about this game are the cutscenes and you can use youtube to look at those.

When I look at the price, I think that they should pay me to play this turd rather than me pay them. I'm not even going to sully my steam game collection by adding this to the list.
kaorimoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series