Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hexen series

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Jacques Krige

UQE Hexen II v1.15 Released!

Hi Everyone!
I finally got around registering on the steam forums.

I spent the last few months doing some more updates to UQE and I'm happy to let you Hexen II fans out there know that the next version of UQE Hexen II has been released!

UQE Hexen II v1.15 Released!

The documentation has been moved online. If you find anything unclear about how to get stuff done when using the documentation, please let me know about it.

Last edited by Jacques Krige: 09-01-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Amran

My favorite source port for the game. Thank you for continuing development on this!
Amran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Krevedko012

What are the main differences between UQE and Hammer of Thyrion?
Krevedko012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
LZZ

UQE Hexen II Bugs

Hi there. I haven't tried yet "Hammer of Thyrion", but I finished Hexen II using the UQE engine (v1.15) few days ago. I can tell you that is a good port (even if it doesn't have all the graphical improvements seen, for example, in ports like "DarkPlaces") BUT it suffers from 2 serious BUG:

1)In the level "Pyramid of Anubis" you have to press a button in order to lower the Dark Pharaoh's Scepter (see this link for more details: http://www.raven-games.com/hex2walk/anubis.php). However, when you press this button, the scepter simply disappears: the player is forced to cheat (fly before pressing the button) to get the scepter

2)In the level "Temple of Nefertum", in the "Wheel of Time" room, you have to shoot to a sign on the wall (see http://www.raven-games.com/hex2walk/nefertum.php) in order to open a door. But, if the player shoots or tries to press this sign nothing happens. The player has to use the "NOCLIP" cheat.

I would appreciate if someone else could verify these 2 bugs, which I consider quite "Serious" because they don't allow the player to complete the game without cheating.

Last edited by LZZ: 08-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.
LZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Jacques Krige

Try running UQE in "portals" mode if you have portals installed.
If you have portals, move your savegames to the portals folder, then start the game without the "-standardprogs" argument. It should fix the issues.

I haven't tracked them down yet, but it seems to be related to the old (original) gamecode. It will be great if I can have confirmation on these two problems if you are running the game in portals mode by default.

The "-standardprogs" switch is a fallback if you don't own the mission pack.

Last edited by Jacques Krige: 08-03-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Jacques Krige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
LZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Krige View Post
Try running UQE in "portals" mode if you have portals installed.
If you have portals, move your savegames to the portals folder, then start the game without the "-standardprogs" argument. It should fix the issues.

I haven't tracked them down yet, but it seems to be related to the old (original) gamecode. It will be great if I can have confirmation on these two problems if you are running the game in portals mode by default.

The "-standardprogs" switch is a fallback if you don't own the mission pack.
I have "Portal of Praevus" installed. First of all I moved my savegames in the "Portals" folder. Then I started the game with this parameters: "UQE-Hexen2.exe -width 1024 -height 768": unfortunately the two bugs are still here. I also tried to run the game in this way: "UQE-Hexen2.exe -portals -width 1280 -height 1024 -crosshair 1". Even in this way if I load my savegames the bugs are not fixed.
If you want to test I can send you the 2 savegames.
LZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Jacques Krige

I've sent you a PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Jacques Krige

I've done some updating on the code to minimize/eliminate the "Dark Pharaoh's Scepter" bug. The fix will be available in the coming release.

The second bug you described is not a bug at all. You are missing the "Scarab of Time" artifact.

Here's how to get the "Scarab of Time":

The room with three red teleporters and an ankh on the floor. Go through the red teleporter on the left, entering the Palace of the Pharaoh.

You will see a flight of stairs in front of you, flanked by 2 gray tubes. Go to the tube on the right and hit the gray button there, opening the bars. Go down the tube and fall into the water.

Along the left wall you will see a Krater of Might and a chest. Smash the chest to get the Scarab of Time. Retrace your steps back through the tube and enter the red teleporter to the Temple of Horus.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Jacques Krige

An update to UQE Hexen II are available. Fixed an issue with ATI Radeon HD 5770 and improved 2D scaling logic for widescreens and other bugs including the "Dark Pharaoh's Scepter". It should be harder for it to get stuck inside the wall.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Rehevkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Krige View Post
An update to UQE Hexen II are available. Fixed an issue with ATI Radeon HD 5770 and improved 2D scaling logic for widescreens and other bugs including the "Dark Pharaoh's Scepter". It should be harder for it to get stuck inside the wall.
When will this update be available? I can only find 1.15 on your website, which I already have.

In my save, the Dark Pharaoh's Scepter is simply gone. It never appeared when I hit the switch and I can't find it when using no clip to look through the wall. I also can't find any way to simply give myself the item via console, so I have no idea how to progress at this point.
Rehevkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Jacques Krige

Its just a tiny tweak so I did not update the version number. You may download the zip from my website again. All you need to do is replace the EXE and the PAK files from the zip to your game folders.

Remember to make a backup (just in case).

Theres only one problem: the update will not be able to use the fixed position of the scepter if you already made any savegames on the level where it occurs. If you have a savegame before you pushed the button the only way would be to first use noclip and get the scepter before you push the button.

One way to bypass the savegame issue is to replay the Egypt hub.

Alternatively you could hack your savegame.
Make a backup before attempting this:

Open folder for the savegame slot for your last savegame.
Find the file "egypt5.gip"
Open it using notepad or notepad++.

Search for the entry "strength".
Close to this you should find an entry "puzzle_inv1".
If you don't have any puzzle pieces you wont find any entries starting with "puzzle_inv".

If you don't have any puzzle pieces:
"puzzle_inv1" "scept"
add directly below the line that reads "strength" and then save the GIP file and load the savegame. The scepter will then show up in the first slot.

If you have puzzle pieces already, use any available slot number by changing the number in "puzzle_inv1" to the appropriate number.

Last edited by Jacques Krige: 08-14-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Jacques Krige

If you would firstly like to test if the fix works for you, start a new game and use "map egypt5" on the console and use noclip to get to the scepter room and push the button and see if you are capable of pickup up the scepter.

I've tested this multiple times on my own machine with success, but it will be great to have some more confirmations if the fix works properly for everyone.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Rehevkor

Thanks, the save game hack worked.
Rehevkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
Jacques Krige

Excellent!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
Jacques Krige

The website just got updated, I'm not sure if the new DNS updates propagated everywhere yet, but here's the new links.

http://www.korvinkorax.com/news/2012...v1-15-released
http://www.korvinkorax.com/games/ultimate-quake-engine

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hexen series