Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
taylis

Need some help

This is an unusual plea for help as it's not gameplay related but player related. I keep making new characters only to wonder what would have it been like if I'd made this class/race combo instead of what I'm playing. Back to tutorial I go, then rinse, lather, repeat.

Any advice on how to stop this altitus?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
NWN DM

Just play the game?
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
taylis

That's one of those things that's easy to say but hard for me to do.

My first play attempt was a fighter but watching Amie got me curious about spells, so I made a mage, but Neeshka got me curious about rogues, so I made a rogue but then realized my favorite NPC was pretty unneeded at that point, and so on. I've tried forcing myself to continue with a given character but the more the disconnect happened the less fun I was having.

Same thing happens to me in MMOs. In that culture, it happens so often to people that it has a term, "altitus".
taylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
naraki

Personally i prefer druids. shapeshift for animal forms for good melee combat and a wide veriaty of spells makes it an intresting class to play. Multiclassing is good but choose carfully as you can suffer penaltys.
naraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Anoddhermit

I've played the first 6-7 levels of the game about 10 times due this same tendency.

This site -
http://nwn2db.com/

May either help or hinder, but you can plan your build in detail and use it to keep track of everything so you don't make mistakes leveling up. Or you can find others' builds by various criteria. Make sure you check whether they're PvM and playable 1-30, some of the PvP builds have brutal ECL and experience penalties along with level splits that will gimp you early on.

You can also use the console to de-level and re-level from level 1, and there are some character editors as well.

Personally I ended up going back to my standard since old 2e games like BGII and IWD, I just like the play style of the wizard - with a splash of rogue2/shadowdancer1 for skills and evasion and HiPs, and of course 7 ASoC levels for improved empower and maximize. <3 3.5's multiclass system. Sorcerer doesn't get enough variety or skill points, cleric spends too much time buffing, druids have an annoyingly specific alignment restriction etc.

Really comes down to how you like to play though. Wizards are my just my thing because I get to play around with the largest variety of spells, and having high int lets you take tons of skills too.

You might tell us what sort of play style appeals to you most if you want suggestions. If you want a jack of all trades though, bard builds are good for this.

Last edited by Anoddhermit: 04-08-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Anoddhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
kamalktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoddhermit View Post
Personally I ended up going back to my standard since old 2e games like BGII and IWD,
Icewind Dale recreated in nwn2.
http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/31/

Baldur's Gate 1 is being worked on as well.
kamalktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
taylis

Normally, in RPGs, I like characters that take some strategic thought to fully use. This makes me think rogue/mage could work decently, a playthrough I've tried. It was fun until I realized that it made Neeshka much less useful, and as a huge fan of hers, that was disappointing.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Anoddhermit

IMO take a wizard with a pale master level at 6, pick up 2 shadowdancer levels later on(level 16 probably) for HiPs and evasion, and 3-7 ASoC levels for better metamagic(improved empower is great, improved maximize is overrated IMO but some like it).

You'll get hide and move silently with HiPs, evasion, you'll be an almost pure caster, you'll get a basically free AC boost early on from Pale Master level without slowing your caster progression.

Neeshka will still handle traps and locks, you'll just gain some extra defense and utility for your PC from HiPs and evasion.

Pale Master requires non-good alignment, but it's only one level early on, so you could start as neutral or evil and as long as you're neutral or evil @ level 5, after that you can become good with no penalty.

You'll only be taking 1 base class so you can take any race, I'd recommend sun elf(+int -con), human(bonus feat, skills), or tiefling(+int and dex) though. Drow is good too but it's a higher ECL so it'll be a bit weak at low levels, but best at high levels.

I just made this quickly to give a rough idea -
http://nwn2db.com/build/?100432

Last edited by Anoddhermit: 04-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Anoddhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
taylis

I've found a character that I'm enjoying, a Bard/Fighter I plan to take Arcane Archer. I know it may not be the most efficient way of getting there as my Bard and Fighter levels are pretty much balanced, but I'm not really caring about efficiency as much as fun of play.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2