Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Void

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
travail

Key Map Problem For Mouse-Kybd Users

There seems to be a problem for Dark Void PC gamers if you want to use Keyboard and Mouse. You can successfully map most of the XBOX Gamepad buttons etc. onto the Keyboard and Mouse ...EXCEPT for use with the action sequences, like losing your grip on ledges or fighting the Archons! In those cases, some of the keyboard keys you mapped the A-B-Y-X buttons to won't respond, so you can't accomplish the task (catch your grip or mount the Archon, etc).

The "Y" can be mapped OK, but not the "X" ...so if you see "PRESS Y" then you'll probably succeed, but if "PRESS X" comes up, then you can't get a game response for your mapped key and you're out of luck! For multiple sequences, like mounting the Archon and opening the hatches, then fighting the demon, you'll never be able to get the right combination of usable keys. At least I haven't, so I cannot get past this spot in the game.

For all other primary functions in the game, X-Y-A-B, as well as all the other XBOX Gamepad mapped buttons work fine, but not for the special action stuff!

Anybody figured out a way around this to play with Keyboard and Mouse?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
LordGurciullo

Just got done playing demo.

Horrendous. Laughably horrible. For me controls are what make a game. The controls for mouse and keyboard are horrendously nightmarish. People who say "Use an xbox controller"... please stop telling me that. If I was 11 years old and didn't care about gaming at all then I might use an xbox controller... but then why wouldn't I just buy *ask my parents to buy* an xbox?...

Releasing a game that plays better with a controller is pathetic and should not be allowed. A game properly built with mouse and keyboard always offers infinitely better gameplay and control which equals fun. and that is WHY I PLAY ON PC! If people choose to play with a controller that's there business but having a PC game play BETTER with a controller (with the controller being so horrible in the first place) is totally unacceptable.
If this game did have proper keyboard control .. *NEVER (*@#$ing steer with mouse)!!! and proper control in general it would have been a decent game.

The problem is ... so many casual gamers are accepting console garbage with controller crap controls where it takes forever to turn your thoughts into action... So few people willing to spend the time it takes to learn to use the keyboard and buy a quality keyboard/mouse/pad etc.

I will admit the learning curve is higher, but I can hit damn near 100 keys (including shift-key and alt-key) in an instant and 5 of them at once while having perfect mouse control. The ceiling for potential is supremely high as opposed to ANY other control input. Been playing for 17 years on mouse and keyboard and still getting better.

In any event. Oh well.
LordGurciullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Syncourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGurciullo View Post
Just got done playing demo.

Horrendous. Laughably horrible. For me controls are what make a game. The controls for mouse and keyboard are horrendously nightmarish. People who say "Use an xbox controller"... please stop telling me that. If I was 11 years old and didn't care about gaming at all then I might use an xbox controller... but then why wouldn't I just buy *ask my parents to buy* an xbox?...

Releasing a game that plays better with a controller is pathetic and should not be allowed. A game properly built with mouse and keyboard always offers infinitely better gameplay and control which equals fun. and that is WHY I PLAY ON PC! If people choose to play with a controller that's there business but having a PC game play BETTER with a controller (with the controller being so horrible in the first place) is totally unacceptable.
If this game did have proper keyboard control .. *NEVER (*@#$ing steer with mouse)!!! and proper control in general it would have been a decent game.

The problem is ... so many casual gamers are accepting console garbage with controller crap controls where it takes forever to turn your thoughts into action... So few people willing to spend the time it takes to learn to use the keyboard and buy a quality keyboard/mouse/pad etc.

I will admit the learning curve is higher, but I can hit damn near 100 keys (including shift-key and alt-key) in an instant and 5 of them at once while having perfect mouse control. The ceiling for potential is supremely high as opposed to ANY other control input. Been playing for 17 years on mouse and keyboard and still getting better.

In any event. Oh well.
I have no idea what you area talking about, I play on mouse and keyboard and the controls are very smooth. Though I don't use the standard configuration, there is almost ALWAYS a better configuration than what they default on keyboard. I have left/right arrow as roll left/right, up down is speed boost/brake. Most importantly if you want to control easily you must always roll so that your pitching up and down instead of left and right.

And never forget that you can easily turn off your jetpack mid flight and hover, look around and acquire your target, then turn jetpack on again and zoom after them which is a lot more useful than the 180 degree maneuver action.

The keyboard/mouse controls are perfectly fine if you have a comfortable key setup and a lot more smooth and responsive than what most other flight games are. I would never use my xbox control for this game.

@travail, I don't know exactly what you mean. You refer to wanting to use keyboard/mouse but that the issues are to do with controller buttons X, Y ect. (when I play on keyboard and mouse it displays 'up' 'down' 'numpad 1' ect.)

Last edited by Syncourt: 06-11-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Syncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Capt_Obvious

tell me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by travail View Post
...can't accomplish the task (catch your grip or mount the Archon, etc) ...like mounting the Archon and opening the hatches
No input on this from anyone? Damn. Now I'm limited to hating this POS up to the Archon, would prefer to hate it in it's entirety.

But seriously, wtf. Properly porting controls for a PC release is too expensive or something? How many man-days of billable time can it possibly take? Cripes. This atrocity of a game is graphically shiny enough that positive word-of-mouth would surely have covered any related costs. But no.
Capt_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Syncourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Obvious View Post
No input on this from anyone?
I stated at the end of my last post that I don't know what he means because it doesn't do that for me at all. Any keys I bind work as they are intended to and I've used 2 different keyboards with it.

Must be hardware/driver related as I experience nothing like it.

You are actually spamming the buttons for recovering grip and ripping off hatches ect yes?

Last edited by Syncourt: 02-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Syncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
alx222000

If the game detects that you have a controller plugged in, it will show controller prompts.
You need to remove any controllers to get the keyboard prompts.

If you would rather leave the controller in, the keyboard uses:
WASD instead of XYBA when there is a bar on screen, which is when something is trying to shake you off.
LR Mouse buttons instead of analogue stick when you are grappling with a creature.
alx222000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Void