Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
BensonTito

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrom4niac View Post
I'd rather pay £6.99 for this than £49.99 for another big name moneysucker. Not trying to sound pretentious or such, but this felt much more appropriately priced. And as for watching it on youtube - when they pitched this game to indie funders, they initially disliked from videos, but once they played it their opinion drastically changed. This game requires you to experience it and use your own mind to piece together the parts of the puzzle it gives you - plus, it takes several plays to fully understand the story.
You do realise that Dear Esther was profitable within six hours? Not that many people even bought it at the time, so it clearly suggests that the price point was not reflective of the development costs.
BensonTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Saijin_Naib

Foreign Legion: BoB forum
Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, and 55k is nothing for game production. Hell, most records cost more than that to write, record, mix, master, and produce.

They sold 16k units to recover the Indie Fund's investment of 55k USD. I don't see the problem there, I honestly think the value proposition there is fairly strong. I also have my suspicion that part of the fund recoup comes from sales of the OST, something I've already purchased while the game I've yet to buy.
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
BensonTito

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant666 View Post
Says somebody who wasn't emotionally mature enough to enjoy the game, so decides to lambast it in a nonsensical and rather stupid manner.

Well done. Have a cigar.
Jumping to conclusions at its finest.
BensonTito is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther