Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Recettear

Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
RaranTroff

Second payment?

How in the hell do you get past that? I tried crawling for loot, buying loot, and everything I can but it seems the cheapass old men and little girls are bound and determined to run me out of business, and they do it every time. Anything more than a 10% increase and they won't buy. 10% just doesn't cut it. Is there a way I can totally just tell them to jarate off so I can sell stuff at the normal 30% to normal customers?

The ruin trying to get the 30000 credits I need to advance the game.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Parzec

There's several strategies to get enough money. What I do is run a dungeon 'til I get a full inventory of goods to sell and then head back to open up shop. As for what percentages to aim for I usually go for just a small mark up (usually around 105%) so I can level up the merchant level a lot faster and, maybe more importantly, the friendship level with the customers. If they get good deals you can see a heart above their head from time to time and that means they've increased their budget and now can afford more expensive items.

To be able to run dungeons efficiently try to sell equipment to the adventurer of your choice so you don't have to bring them yourself and thereby occupying valuable loot space.
Parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
RaranTroff

I read in a guide how lower % markups is actually better after I made this post. Not sure why the game says 30% as that fails more than it works. It sets one up for failure. Just messing around with using no more than 10% mark up I made tons more cash just through increased sales.
RaranTroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Parzec

Indeed, the 30% mark up can be a (short) trip to ruin; or in this case a cardboard box. It's also worthwhile to learn the subtleties on how, when and why them time-slices are consumed if you're not already familiar with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
option.iv

After several restarts and attempts. I made the most money off buying and selling (like most). There is little money to be had in the adventuring part of the game (at least in the beginning).

What you want to do is focus on getting to the goal first. Try to sell as much as you can keeping in mind the usual cheapskates (gramps and little girl >:|). For most everyone you want to push the 125% mark. For the lady and Louie, you might want to be around 110-120%. For the gramps and the girl, you most likely want to sell around 100-110%.

Only until you have a safe amount to pay off the weekly payment should you consider exp building instead selling at 100-105% to build those hearts. You're going to need the larger transactions later.

Also later, when you start to get news, you generally want to focus on price increases. Buy at least 2-3 o the higher end pink items at the Market/Guild. Then sell those at 200-280% depending on customer. Eventually you'll build enough from this that you'll have a good enough cushion and go back to focusing on exp and selling at 100-105% once more.

I know it doesn't make sense. Normally you want to buy low and sell when prices go back up. But considering the weekly payments and how long it may take for an item to go from blue to red, this strat is not plausible.
option.iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Parzec

Buying items that are blue (reduced value) and shoving them into a vender is good though. The venders always sell for base price regardless of price ups and downs.

Adventuring can yield good monetary value for time spent but it kinda requires somewhat more dedication. Like going lots of floors in one go and only keeping expensive items. It's a hassle to do 30 floors since you can't save but it enables quick progress to the more profitable dungeons and also levels your hero of choice. Biggest problem is selling equipment to them in a quick enough pace though.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Goilveig

Quote:
Originally Posted by option.iv View Post
What you want to do is focus on getting to the goal first. Try to sell as much as you can keeping in mind the usual cheapskates (gramps and little girl >:|). For most everyone you want to push the 125% mark. For the lady and Louie, you might want to be around 110-120%. For the gramps and the girl, you most likely want to sell around 100-110%.

Only until you have a safe amount to pay off the weekly payment should you consider exp building instead selling at 100-105% to build those hearts. You're going to need the larger transactions later.
I tend to disagree - I think on the first days you should build the NearPins (sell at 104-105%) to build levels for yourself and wallets for your customers. Nearing the end of a week, if you're low on cash, you can aim higher, but the quicker you get better items at the guild/market, and people who can afford them, the easier things are.

Quote:
Also later, when you start to get news, you generally want to focus on price increases. Buy at least 2-3 o the higher end pink items at the Market/Guild. Then sell those at 200-280% depending on customer. Eventually you'll build enough from this that you'll have a good enough cushion and go back to focusing on exp and selling at 100-105% once more.

I know it doesn't make sense. Normally you want to buy low and sell when prices go back up. But considering the weekly payments and how long it may take for an item to go from blue to red, this strat is not plausible.
Once you have vending machines, buying blues and popping them in those is a good strategy too, but yes - buying and selling reds is very much worth it. It's a 20% increase in your cost for a 100% increase in your revenue. Also if something becomes popular, and it's a category that has things worth selling, put a lot out for sale - you can turn those quickly. Plus it's funny to see a store packed with clones.

Overall, my advice for people struggling on weekly payments:

1. NearPin as much as you can.
2. Buy each morning from the market/guild until you're broke, then spend three periods selling. (Alternately you can spend three periods selling, then buy from guild, but you won't get any market gear this way.) Only if you can't sell items fast enough should you let money accumulate, and then you should spend on useful shop enhancements (expansions, vendors, and atmosphere).
3. Atmosphere near the center gives a lot more sales than the more extreme decor.
4. Always go for the best price on all red items; this is the one time NearPins aren't important.
Goilveig is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Recettear