Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Sminky

A Question (screen Size), and a crituqe

After discovering that you need to disable your secound monitor to get a native resoloution, the game scren still seems 'zoomed in'

As in The Sonic Sprite. rings etc.. seem far to large, and much larger then classic Sonic games from what i remember. Is this a big or just a stylistic choice?

Now for a slight Grrrrrr moment. It's great that they have finally gone back to the 2D platforming in entirity, but they seem to have forgoten the improvments made early on in the Sonic Series. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 (hell even Sonic CD) have far better mechanics, and much better level design (well perhaps not Sonic CD). then this one.

It seems so close to getting it right in so many ways but falls short on nearly all accounts.

and dear god the music, how did they mange to make better tunes on a 4 bit sound chip for the Megadrive, the music is just horrid.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
ezodagrom

Well, Sonic 4 Episode 1 was mostly made by Dimps, which made the Sonic Advance series for the Gameboy Advance and the Sonic Rush series for the Nintendo DS. When it comes to controls/handling and level design, Episode 1 was some similarities to the Sonic Rush series, with the exception that Sonic doesn't have the boost in Episode 1.

My guess is that they thought that fans only wanted a 2D Sonic game, and with the success of the Rush series, they kinda based Episode 1 a bit on them, without really paying attention to what made the Genesis/Mega Drive classics so great.

While far from perfect, Sonic Team did a much better job at classic styled gameplay and level design in Sonic Generations than Dimps in Sonic 4 Episode 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEiPq_6gOU
ezodagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Sminky

ahh that explains a lot i did play the gba ones, and they also had a slightly airy movment, and emptyish level design.

I traded Sonic Generations away due to between this and having Sonic CD i figiured i had enough (especially as i dont really care for the 3D ones). Guess i shouldnt have done, poo.

So is the 'zoomed' in screen normal then?
Sminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
ezodagrom

The game looks like this for me:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7...3220323530.jpg

Note that I'm using a modified texture for Sonic, and I'm also forcing anti-aliasing through the graphics drivers (which apparently only works for AMD/ATI cards at 1280x720).
ezodagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
J.Power

You can see more of the screen if you use a wide screen resolution.

1280 x 720/800 etc etc.

Playing sonic then was much better.
J.Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Sminky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezodagrom View Post
The game looks like this for me:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7...3220323530.jpg

Note that I'm using a modified texture for Sonic, and I'm also forcing anti-aliasing through the graphics drivers (which apparently only works for AMD/ATI cards at 1280x720).
thanks for the pic, yup mine seems slightly enlarged how odd, playing at 1980 by 1080
Sminky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic the Hedgehog 4