Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
MmmBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron86v View Post
Since you guys are talking about wireless and ethernet, custom build rigs don't have a wireless connection right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
You could either get a usb dongle or a pci card.
Additionally, some motherboards will have an adapter built-in or a mPCIe slot for an adapter.

Examples:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500064
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157312
MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
Bad_Motha

Banned
If you go wireless, I'd go USB, but not a cheap/small dongle. Get one that has a physical antenna on it for best results/coverage.

HomePlugs is a great way to expand as well. As you'll get the full wired speed, without running lengthy cable all over your floors.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #18
Longbow 81

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I have a netgear DGND3300 v2 with latest firmware. Is this ok for gaming? It's supposed to be....but then we all know marketing is vastly different to the truth .

I think I'll pick up a cable and a dongle. If I end up using the cable for my main rig then I can still use the dongle for my fiance's laptop.

Homeplugs look nice but are quite pricey (£79.99 or US$130 for a pair), especially compared to £10 for a wire or £40 for a dongle. Plus I'd want to know how well they work irl and how using my home wiring could effect latency etc.

Thanks again for the info .
Longbow 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
MmmBacon

@Longbow 81 If you aren't too far from the router then a dongle should be fine. Other than that, you should definitely do some testing an see for yourself and off of that choose.

As for your router, the specs on it seem fine. I've used very little from Netgear and what I have used worked as it should.

Powerline networking seemed ideal a few years ago, but I have yet to try any of it seeing as Wireless is cheap and efficient right now. Good luck on getting your network together.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Longbow 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmBacon View Post
@Longbow 81

1)If you aren't too far from the router then a dongle should be fine. Other than that, you should definitely do some testing an see for yourself and off of that choose.

2)As for your router, the specs on it seem fine. I've used very little from Netgear and what I have used worked as it should.

3)Powerline networking seemed ideal a few years ago, but I have yet to try any of it seeing as Wireless is cheap and efficient right now. Good luck on getting your network together.
In reply....

1) Well it would be in the same room. My lounge is a large reversed L shape (vertical symmetry? ,,,just move the vertical line to the other end of the horizantal one). My phone line comes into my master socket at the top right corner and my router is situated there. My PC is on the north (if we assume basic fps compass mechanics) wall of the horizontal part of the L. It's just stud wall inbetween but I was planning on a usb dongle with either a directional or omnidirectional aerial (probably plugged into my 3m extension), situated on my desk, wall or shelf in an ideal position. Max distance would be about 13 feet. Only problem would be interference from the neighbour's (and half the streets) wireless, but I think most of them operate on G rated networks.

2) It's my second Netgear, the first I paid for. It's basically an upgrade of the same router I had before (DG834G?? I think...been awhile since I actually used it). I wanted to get an N rated unit as my fiance uses her laptop all over the house (I get a lot less earache now she can get signal upstairs, though she still complains of dropouts and slow connection using our current G dongle),plus I was already familiar with the interface for the router. Saying that, I still have this other router, would it be worth setting up a repeater to then run a cable from? Would there be any benefit to this? I know it can be done but am ignorant to any practical advantage other than signal coverage over a wider area...which I don't really require.

3)I know next to nothing about it. I've seen them advertised but I know my home wiring has been done by the lowest bidder :/.I get an A on pingtest.net, but that could mean anything...at my old address I had a C+ and had faster download transfer rates (same upload but my ISP only do the one speed, they're not really an ISP for hosting your own ftp/email/web server on either) and lower latency as well. The price ,compared to my actual needs, is the main prohibitive factor here.

I think I will get both the cable and the dongle and do some testing. If I get within 10ms difference in the latency between the two, then I will probably just opt for the wireless and keep the cable as a backup.
Longbow 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #21
MmmBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow 81 View Post
In reply....
1. You should get a perfect signal.
2. Testing is the only way to figure out where the dropouts are coming from.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems