Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
bowmoq

Banned
Unhappy My external HD fell on the floor.

So, I dropped my WD HD. When I tried to boot it I heard it trying to spin but it just "clicked" and stopped. I put it in the freezer, now the click sound disappeared and instead I hear a smooth "scratching" and it just gives up spinning. Is there something else I should try?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
TeKraken

I have heard (urban legend?) the freezer trick (what you tried) and percussive maintenance working for stuck read arm/head.

What you have sounds terminal. Actual physical damage to head or platter by a 'head crash'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-disk_failure#Causes

I maybe wrong but I think it's new hdd time.

TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
A-spase

just put in the garbage.drunk crash my laptop in the sharp wall corner.motherboard like skii elipse try didnt work.the hdd work 100% play games was like spear part.survival than kind of crash.so yours not revivable unless you have free time and do some research how crashet hdd live after life.
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
bowmoq

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
I have heard (urban legend?) the freezer trick (what you tried) and percussive maintenance working for stuck read arm/head.

What you have sounds terminal. Actual physical damage to head or platter by a 'head crash'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-disk_failure#Causes

I maybe wrong but I think it's new hdd time.

Thanks for being honest.....It's a sad day.....1TB of information stored over 3 years...so many memories....this got to be the saddest day of my life so far .....and everything because of a silly stumble on the usb cable.....One thing is granted: I'll be so much more careful from now on
bowmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Xebec

If you really need the data on there you could try a data recovery service, but they are insanely expensive and there's no guarantee they will be able to get anything back.
Xebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Bad_Motha

Banned
This is why u should make backups of your backups.
I use an ext. 3TB drive for such reasons. But this drive I don't move around much or take with me on trips, etc. I use it as a way to backup my internal backup HDD, then I store the 3TB drive away in my gun-safe.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-spase View Post
ye i like that. people u now my car born, shoot.what kind of car. its old .so dont wory ,u get brand new .ye ,this car was antique ,just one build.just dont gave TO NASA LABARATORIES recover YOUR DATA cause, Bill gona be with 4numbers long.if seriuos google and candys can fix that.

^^what??

Yeah it sound like its had it! Best to take it apart and make something fun with it. Search youtube for Hard drive clocks and such. Quite intuitive, sits on my desk and guests always ask where i bought such a clock!

On another note, DO NOT throw away the external case! Take out the broken HDD from the case and keep the actual case or the connectors really. That way you can just buy a new HDD as they are quite cheap these days anyway. The connectors have a little microchip that allows power and data transfer from a normal HDD via USB, giving u the ability to use any drive as an external HDD without the hassle.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
Yes those external enclosures can come in handy and should work with basically any drive that has the same internal interface.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Franky123

Data recovery will be close to $1000. For 3 years of stuff and if this really IS the worst day of your life; I'd say it's worth just throwing money at this problem to make it go away and LEARN from this VERY expensive mistake. Making backups to DVD/Blue-ray of the most important stuff may be a good idea for the future because discs only deteriorate (very slowly) they don't have moving parts to break or get fried. Send it to a good clean room, they WILL be able to save your stuff.
Franky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Aulex

You can try this, but you have to check if your bios is detecting the drive
http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how...ve-is-damaged/
Aulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Zodiark1593

One of my teachers says data never exists unless it's backed up to 3 different mediums.

If data transferred faster, I'd probably bother with making backup DVDs.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Pho Dac Biet

Wow, that sucks. Hope you find a way to get all data back.
Pho Dac Biet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Bad_Motha

Banned
As far as smaller, yet important files go, maybe want to invest in a 32 or 64GB USB Flash Drive.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
One of my teachers says data never exists unless it's backed up to 3 different mediums.
Smart teacher.

For important data I abide by the triangle of storage rule as well.

1) Drive - Working Copy, On access retrieval.
2) External - stored in safe except when backing up.
3) Optical - stored offsite, in case of catastrophic event (fire, etc).
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfade View Post
Smart teacher.

For important data I abide by the triangle of storage rule as well.

1) Drive - Working Copy, On access retrieval.
2) External - stored in safe except when backing up.
3) Optical - stored offsite, in case of catastrophic event (fire, etc).
Thing is all the data you have can be regained from the internet, the largest data storage in the World. I personally do not have a lot of things that are valuable on my PC, and those that are are kept on DVD's and flash disks. Things like my work. Everything else can be retrieved, although a hassle. And still I keep a backup drive.

Off topic. Did anyone see Google offering 5GB cloud storage for free? And 1TB for a price?
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems