Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Old 04-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Goodtwist

Question Tactic against infantry in settlements?

First, I'm 4h into this game and I consider it splendid. Clearly a major improvement against RUSE.

Now, what I'd like to hear from you is what do you deem to be the best tactic against enemy infantry in settlements.

If I send armory into "infantry infested" towns, my units get wasted. If, however I send my infantry to fight the enemy, the count/ratio between my and hostile forces is roughly 1:1.
Also, my choppers get wasted even quicker than armory in such instances.

Any idea what to do?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Malteh

Quite easy. Attack somewhere else. there is no need for attacking enemy strongpoints in this game.
Malteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Goodtwist

Heh, that's avoiding the problem. Not solving it.

Currently, I'm in the "Airfield" mission (the 3rd or 4th). If I parked a commanding unit into an enemy controlled town (infantry in a settlement) the enemy would snipe it dead fairly quickly.
Goodtwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Argel_Tal

"artillery gives an ugly brawl some dignity"
Argel_Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
FericJaggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtwist View Post

Currently, I'm in the "Airfield" mission (the 3rd or 4th). If I parked a commanding unit into an enemy controlled town (infantry in a settlement) the enemy would snipe it dead fairly quickly.
Just finished this mission. As someone said, it's not an obligation to clean some towns, but if you want, you should consider buying a mortar carrier

http://www.wargame-wiki.com/M106A2

It works wonder against that pesky infantry.
FericJaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
PuppyFiddler

A flame-thrower should work. I haven't tried it yet but I imagine it'd get taken out before it gets a shot off, although I watched someone use it on tanks hiding in a forest and they got seriously stunned.
Artillery seems to hit every building except the one you want destroyed.

The game should have sniper teams but maybe it unbalances it.
PuppyFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
cheese2134

If the Infantry are on the edges of the village but you cannot see them you could always get your tankks to 'fire pos' at the buildings or blast them to bits with arty and when their stunned a massive infantry charge through the settlement supported by tanks.
aAlso i have tried a Flamethrower but in my experience infantry in buildings doont get affected by the flames.
cheese2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Remair

Arty is the best bet imho, you can get a corrected shot and just wipe the area, keep tanks around to pick off routing units. If you lack arty/flamethrowers you can just methodically attack pos with tanks, smash the buildings apart one at a time then sweep through with infantry.

Oh, I also found if you are sending in infantry put tanks around near the edge of their range. As infantry detect the enemy they get quick HE fire support, helps put the loss ratio in your favor.
Remair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
danuker

Flamers in indirect fire mode works awesome once you know where they are.

I don't think they are available in the first campaign though, so you have to use manual fire on position at suspected hostile zones and then throw infantry into the grinder to mop them up.
danuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
RevolverAce

Use scout infantry coupeld with armor and other infantry. buring down the town first is a good tactic before sending infantry.
RevolverAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Malteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtwist View Post

ah, thought you were talking mutiplayer. in mp avoiding the problem equals solving it
Malteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Hidden Gunman

Artillery, and other infantry. Take it slow, and cover flanks.
Hidden Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
cheese2134

"Flamers in indirect fire mode works awesome once you know where they are." I have tried them against infantry hidden in buildings and the flames did not affect them.
Maybe it was just me though.:S
cheese2134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation