Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
FreemanForPrez

A good wireless gaming router?

Can anyone recommend me a good, powerful wireless gaming router?

I'm getting a new ISP in a couple weeks and they're setting this place up for a wireless home network. I don't know what kind of router they'll be bringing with them, or if it's a modem/router combination, but I was thinking about buying a high quality router suitable for gaming before they get here.

I don't do MP that much, but it would be nice too be able to do it without any problems from the wireless. As it is, the cable comes in downstairs where my secondary PC is, but my gaming rig is upstairs and there's no way to get a new line up there without doing some major surgery on the walls, so I have to go wireless. :/

I'm not concerned about cost, I just want something that's going to work well. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
F10

why don't you invest in wireless repeaters? then you can plug in a cable to your PC upstairs.

On subject: I use a D-link DIR 635 and the wireless signal is mostly good, when you consider i am 2 floors above my router. As for MP playing, I do not notice so much Lag but when i plug in a cable the ping reduces by 15-20 ms. If you are into competitive multi player then its a difference that would matter, otherwise you wont even notice.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
MeStinkBAD

Unless you plan on spending huge amounts for a high end commercial grade wireless solution, go with an Airport Extreme.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
DieVerboten

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
Can anyone recommend me a good, powerful wireless gaming router?

I'm getting a new ISP in a couple weeks and they're setting this place up for a wireless home network. I don't know what kind of router they'll be bringing with them, or if it's a modem/router combination, but I was thinking about buying a high quality router suitable for gaming before they get here.

I don't do MP that much, but it would be nice too be able to do it without any problems from the wireless. As it is, the cable comes in downstairs where my secondary PC is, but my gaming rig is upstairs and there's no way to get a new line up there without doing some major surgery on the walls, so I have to go wireless. :/

I'm not concerned about cost, I just want something that's going to work well. Thanks for any suggestions.
Given a choice, wired is ALWAYS better than wireless. It's faster, cheaper and has none of the drawbacks of wireless, at all.

With that said, just about any commercially available consumer N routers and adapters will do the job just fine. They all have to (or rather, are SUPPOSED TO) conform to the same standards. Just stay away from any that have severely poor reviews (keeping in mind that people tend to be more likely to complain on the internet than praise).

Personally, I tend to stick with the higher end Linksys routers, but I'd be happy with anything that I could reflash to 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt, tomato, etc. imo they're far superior to Linksys's firmware)
DieVerboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
FreemanForPrez

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

It's Bright House Networks I'm changing my ISP to. They claim their routers are high powered wireless and plenty good enough, but I'm going to wait and see if I need to get something better, after they come here in another week.

Going wired is definitely out of the question. There's absolutely no way to get a line upstairs without piping it down the outside of the house which I don't want to do. Or just running it through the house on the floor or tacked to the walls which is also a no-go.

And I don't want to move my game PC down to the little den where the cable comes in because the room is too small and that's where my work PC is and fax, and it all needs to stay that way. I do very little multiplayer anyway - I'm just concerned about having a good enough signal for downloading and basic internet stuff. But if their router isn't good enough I'll get something better.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!
FreemanForPrez is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems