Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Felidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYankee View Post
No matter what the dev says I still think the drop is WAY overdone. A round shouldn't be dropping six inches at 100m. It should still be rising in its parabolic arc. There could have been plenty of challenge in letting people figure out whether to aim low or high to get kill shots.
I have to say I totally agree with your statement. And if it is just a sniping "game" and not a sniping simulator why would you advertise it

quote:
Sniping Simulation - Sniper Elite V2 features detailed sniping simulation with advanced ballistics, taking into account gravity, wind, velocity, bullet penetration, aim stability and more. Guaranteed to provide players with the most realistic simulation of military sharpshooting yet available.

like that?

Anyhow I'm sure it will still be fun and at least there is the option to tinker it to have a more realistic bullet drop for the distances in the game.

What I am more interested in is how the bullet drop option is incorporated in the Multiplayer part.

Are MP settings global (everyone gets bulletdrop) or is it dependent on the individual players settings? Or maybe server specific?
Felidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
GameholicNL

Bullet drop is actually pretty severe, the more wind it catches the faster it goes and when your aiming above the horizon the bullet drop increases exponentially. For instance shooting someone at 800 meters who is 3 floors above you is a much harder drop then 800 straight shot, seeing as the shot needs to 'climb' and there for gravity has a greater effect.

Don't forget that rifling, that is the the groves in the barrel that cause the bullet to spin giving it stability and there for its accuracy, in 194* era wasn't as efficient as it is today.

Oh yeah, and its a game.
GameholicNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
witekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrknox View Post
I wouldn't say that. There might be a good amount of long shots for certain specific missions, but no one would play a game where every shot was 500-800 meters. Not even including the fact that it creates way too much walk time for the player. The only way to eliminate that would be create targets that didn't actually aggress on you. What could people with submachine guns do from 600 meters, since they only have an effective range of 1/6th of that? There'd be no challenge, nor a compelling game. Unless the entire goal was to kill enemy snipers which I could only fear would be like crawling everywhere; killing one person every 10 minutes; or being bombarded with 5 snipers and no way to get up.

In short, a lot more goes into a game, than you give it credit for.
Don't say no one - I would like to play with shots over 500m. For example: target is 2000m from start point, and you have to find the position to shot, do one shot and try to escape. And I don't mean all soldiers are in one place and don't have chance to hit you - there are everywhere on a huge map (it would nice to have something similar to Thief series but with a sniper)
witekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Vasily Zaytsev

Vasily wants Realism, Rebellion you are one step away from historical sales if you get this right.

At least give the option on servers?
I care not for the singleplayer game, just multi.

Thanks.
Vasily Zaytsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
ferrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEV2Community View Post
And, ultimately, this is a sniping game rather than a sniping simulator. We have to balance realism with rewarding gameplay. No bullet drop would be 100% accurate, but not a lot of fun for what should be a challenging and interesting game.

Quote:
Key features:
Sniping Simulation - Sniper Elite V2 features detailed sniping simulation with advanced ballistics, taking into account gravity, wind, velocity, bullet penetration, aim stability and more. Guaranteed to provide players with the most realistic simulation of military sharpshooting yet available.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/63380/
ferrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
Darrknox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrit View Post
Simulation=Simulator

lrn2English
Darrknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Monolyth

Distance isn't everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xO0k9LcIU&hd=1
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
jimrad1

I can understand the need for game play, and being a long time Sniper Elite fan, I have to agree that the exaggerated bullet drop really takes away from the immersion. A lot of immersion was added for realism sake, so going the opposite direction with bullet drop doesnt make a lot of sense. I certainly dont want laser shots, but fairly realistic ballistics at range would of been welcome. I think to compensate for game play, the developers should of considered just making the shots longer, or harder to hit. Have the AI take more advantage of cover rather than partially cover themselves. This would of made up for game play without the addition of exaggerated bullet drop in my opinion. I know historically speaking engagements were of shorter range, but historically they also found better ways of seeking cover. Just my 2 centavos.
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
SLowrAM

I appreciate the customization settings Rebellion offers (and showing that off in the demo as well - if only Diablo 3 could be harder..). I don't know why you wouldn't be satisfied with turning bullet drop off in the custom setting and you can still make the enemies elite etc. Doing so makes the game a lot easier (and more realistic from the point of your bullet hitting target when aimed) but still if you stay in open long you'll die much quicker. I kinda figure if it were a simulation then the sniper would be a pro and have the scope calibrated properly 90+% of the time anyhow .
SLowrAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #25
ferrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrknox View Post
Simulation=Simulator

lrn2English
Troll or Thick?
ferrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Darrknox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrit View Post
Troll or Thick?
lol, nice projecting
Darrknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
RevolverAce

I think il just play this game as a simulation. So no bullet drop for me.
RevolverAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #28
rFcsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYankee View Post
No matter what the dev says I still think the drop is WAY overdone. A round shouldn't be dropping six inches at 100m. It should still be rising in its parabolic arc. There could have been plenty of challenge in letting people figure out whether to aim low or high to get kill shots.
This. If they don't implement this option ever, I hope someone makes a mod.
rFcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
tyrwith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameholicNL View Post
Bullet drop is actually pretty severe, the more wind it catches the faster it goes and when your aiming above the horizon the bullet drop increases exponentially. For instance shooting someone at 800 meters who is 3 floors above you is a much harder drop then 800 straight shot, seeing as the shot needs to 'climb' and there for gravity has a greater effect.

Don't forget that rifling, that is the the groves in the barrel that cause the bullet to spin giving it stability and there for its accuracy, in 194* era wasn't as efficient as it is today.

Oh yeah, and its a game.
Actually, it's counter-intuitive at first, but your bullet will land higher when shooting EITHER uphill or downhill compared to shooting level.

"(a) Gravity acts on a bullet only during the horizontal component of its flight (the distance from the shooter to the target measured as if they were both at the same level). Since the horizontal component will always be less than the slanted range, gravity will not pull the bullet down as far as it would if the range were level."

Source:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...3-22-9/c05.htm
tyrwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEV2Community View Post
And, ultimately, this is a sniping game rather than a sniping simulator. We have to balance realism with rewarding gameplay. No bullet drop would be 100% accurate, but not a lot of fun for what should be a challenging and interesting game.

The whole issue here though is not the bullet drop of the sniper rifles, but there is none with SMG or Pistol. Instead those two weapons types simply have a limited range instead. This is complete BS though because you could have AI standing 200m away and hit you dead on with an MP40. Yea OK!!!
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2