Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Entrena

Smile Upgrade achievement system please

Hi, Steam It´s my favourite platform for gaming but I think It needs a more polished achievement system. To put It simple, add numeric values for each achievement like Blizzard´s or Xbox´s so players can compare overall progress. I know many people don´t see the point of this, but the ones who like It, well, we really enjoy this feature, if you don´t like It please just ignore It.
I hope Valve upgrades this feature and then I could say Steam It´s the ultimate home of gamers.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
alexanderswang

This has been called for a thousand times.
alexanderswang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
stevethepocket

They don't want to do this because it's hard enough to properly judge how much certain achievements are "worth" compared to others within one game, let alone compared to every achievement in every other game in the world.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Burekman

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderswang View Post
This has been called for a thousand times.
And it's going to be requested a thousand times more, until Valve either do something or make a statement regarding this request. It's obvious a lot of people (me included) want a metagame associated with achievements. It doesn't really need to be a score, just... something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepocket View Post
They don't want to do this because it's hard enough to properly judge how much certain achievements are "worth" compared to others within one game, let alone compared to every achievement in every other game in the world.
This hasn't stopped devs on consoles from doing it. And very few people have problems with achievements not having a "fair" points distribution, which they do 90% of the time. So I doubt that issue is what's keeping them from upgrading their achievement system.
Burekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Smokindan50

It would be easy enough just to assign some kind of points system to a percentage factor as that's already calculated. Maybe compare the rarity of the achievement, also, as that's also done.

I don't mind either way.
Smokindan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
slazer2k5

There are a few third party websites giving you a score based on your achievements. Check out this thread for example.
slazer2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
xYorYx

Exclamation

The best one I found is this: http://steamachievementhunters.com/ It also have guides for every achievement, global and country rankings and some other useful stuff.
xYorYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
seseorang

Steam is not a platform. It's just DRM
"Upgrading" with numerical values for people to compare their e-peen, is not good. This would be bad and hence a downgrade, or lesser quality
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
CurbDog

If you want a meta game simply add up the number of achievements you have. Or is it that you want a promoted meta game so it has more value to you?

Assigning points or trophies or whatever is just going to require developers to adhere to limits which ultimately impacts their freedom to do what they want with their achievements. It'd also going to require them to invest more time and probably more oversight by Valve to ensure everything is "fair".

I know people find this appealing but frankly I enjoy the system exactly as it is, take it or leave it, minimal emphasis.
CurbDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
hat

The arbitrary, in-your-face "gamer points" is one thing I dislike about Xbox's achievements. The idea itself is fine, but it makes players just go way out of hand with them. Of course, now that it's happened I don't think it should be removed from Xbox, nor do I think achievement point hunters are bad people, I just wouldn't want to see it on Steam.

A way to better integrate achievements into profiles would be nice, though. Perhaps just displaying the total amount and the last achievement earned (or the user can submit his or her favorite achievement? That might be too complicated). Since some people hate achievements, I'd say it should be put on the sidebar near the screenshots, and give users the option in their profile to disable displaying achievements, and maybe even disable viewing other peoples' achievements.
hat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion