Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
nrnoble

Request: Suspend updates when HDD space is low. Do not use all HDD space

Today it took me about 2 hours to track down that Steam was eating up all my HDD space as it attempted to download updates.

I would delete files to free up HDD space and within 1-2 minutes all free space was gone, and my system and applications were having significant problems because Steam kept downloading updates and eating up all possible disk space. For 2 hours I didn't know it was Steam that was causing the problem, all I knew was something kept using all the free space as I deleted files. It was very frustrating because there was no information being provided that Steam was continuing to use up all possible free space.

Steam shouldn't take the HDD space down to zero. It should check HDD space, and and if the space is less than 2% (or some other reasonable amount) it should suspend downloading and inform the user that download has been suspended until there is more HDD space.

Honestly, Steam was behaving like a virus, using up all free space without any hint\suggestion that Steam would continue to use all free space as it became available.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas