Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Runespell Overture

Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
armaankhan

I bought the game day one on a whim. Didn't even play the demo. I read the description, loved Sword&Poker on the iPhone, and took a risk.

I'm going to have to say that for full price, it's not worth it. The gameplay is unique and interesting at first, but the battles get tiring and frustrating toward the end. There's a huge difficulty spike in the last ten or so battles, and while these do force you to try strategies other than just spamming Full House attacks, they also teach you that success inevitably comes down to luck more than anything else. The power cards are an interesting idea, but they take way too long to charge up and, with the exception of maybe the Fate and Fear cards, don't make enough of an impact on the battle to make them worth bothering with.

Basically, the game has a lot of potential, but that potential hasn't been realised just yet. Maybe it'll be worth the full ten bucks once the promised content updates (with Casual mode!) start coming out, but for now I'd say either wait on it, or buy it at half-price.
armaankhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Craig234

This thread is relevant with today's sale.

I did not buy this game before, because it just seemed sort of terribly gratuitous to abuse rhe RPG genre pasting it over a card game.

But sometimes an ugly design might still be fun, Puzzlequest did it with 'gem games' and fantasy, and the posts are sounding like they like it.
Craig234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Losse

I played this game when it first came out and finished it with a lot of the achievements. It totally rocked and it makes me sad there isn't a runespell 2 or some sort of DLC.

Its a must play imo. I really like the quality, everything has the well thought out good chunky meaty quality feeling to it. From the game mechanics to the graphics and sound. Some of the sounds are awesome.
Losse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
ronin_19

It's an addictive little game. You could easily spend a few hours playing it. Easy to jump into and the tutorial at the start is iirc very good at bringing newbies up to speed with the card mechanics of the game. It can get a tiny bit monotonous after a while, but still a good game

Only €2.24 (or whatever's your currency equivalent)...worth the purchase imo.
ronin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
TheVentilator

I was gonna buy it, but the store said i already owned it.
My backlog of unplayed Steam games is so big that its hard to keep track.
TheVentilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
DyvimTvar

Concerning the 'is it worth it' question, I'd recommend getting RO while it's on sale. Not that I think the normal price is too high.
I had a lot of fun with it.
DyvimTvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
Joshyjess

Hmm, there's something missing with this thread - Oh, I know.

How could you ask such a dumb question. Just look it up on Metacritic, and that's all you need to know.

OK, now that we've got that in, I feel better.

As for the game itself, I just picked it up and installed it (thanks to some of the comments on this "worthless" thread), and so far it seems pretty good. Obviously my strategy is going to have to improve, but I finished the first 3 battles (the tutorial ones), and it looks like this game is going to offer a lot of great challenges. I really like unique card games (Faerie Solitaire / Golf Solitaire) as well as games that add RPG elements (Sequence /Puzzle Quest / Puzzle Kingdoms) so I'm looking forward to spending more time with this game.

So, thanks for starting this totally unnecessary and worthless thread. It helped me to decided to go ahead and give this game a try.
Joshyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Drutten

I'm playing the demo atm, so far it has been fun, think i'll give it a try, even if i believe it can get a bit repetitive, but yeah it's well worth the 2.24€
Drutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
chilkat

Can you skip the RPG elements in this game easily or all together?

Because I love the card part but can't stand the RPG parts, like in Puzzle Quest.
(In which you walk around with this little figure through villages and so on just to find the next fight )
chilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
metz10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkat View Post

Because I love the card part but can't stand the RPG parts, like in Puzzle Quest.
(In which you walk around with this little figure through villages and so on just to find the next fight )
You can literally skip entire conversations but still pickup quests/items with no penalty.

Has there been any more talk about adding multiplayer to the game? I see some talk of it a few months ago, is it still being developed?
metz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #26
Anslem

No multi-player? In a card game? And with a quest that can be completed in just a few short hours? Umm, not worth it.
Anslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Mariox

For the price it is a good game.
Mariox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Levi

Wasn't bad. Not sure why it had so many spell types that all did pretty much the same thing though. Especially when all you really need is fate cards.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
lishkaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkat View Post

Hello Chilkat and others, we currently have a Runespell spin off in development which is built around score attacks and integrating the Power Cards in the playing field. This game will have immersion, but much less textparts in it. The battles are the journey. Please watch this forum or the gamesite (yes I know it should get an update) and within several weeks I will start informing outside world.

Tx again for the kind words in this thread, we really appreciate this.
lishkaal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Runespell Overture