Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum

Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Elrundir

At my wits' end: BmLauncher.exe

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get this game to work for a while now with absolutely no luck. Whenever I try to open the game--no matter how I do it, whether it's through Steam or by clicking on the files in the actual game folder--I get a "BmLauncher has stopped working" error. That's it. The Launcher never opens, and I never get an error report of any kind. Windows claims to be searching for solutions to the problem, but it never finds any. That makes two of us.

I've been Googling this issue since Tuesday, and then yesterday I finally cracked and tried contacting third-party support for various solutions. What I've come up with so far:

1) Running the files as an Administrator
2) Updating video/sound drivers, DirectX, .NET framework, GFWL
3) Turning down Sound Acceleration (apparently my card doesn't allow it anyway)
4) Running the files in Compatibility Mode
5) Reinstalling the game (painful, since it's not exactly a small file and I have limited bandwidth)
6) ...maybe other things that I've forgotten, but I'll let you know if I happen to remember.

Nothing has even changed the error that I get. And after all of this, their tech support responded to my e-mails by saying, "Please note that the program is not tested or supported in Windows 7. You *may* be able to run the program using compatibility mode in Windows 7, but we cannot guarantee the program will function properly in this new operating system."

I know this isn't a tech support forum, but I'm at my wits' end here and I'm hoping that someone here has some idea of how to fix this. It can't just be a Windows 7 problem! I'll try anything at this point!

EDIT: Oh, and in case you want my system specs (though they definitely meet all the requirements):

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Sound Card: SPDIF Interface (TX1) (VIA High Definition Audio)

(I can paste the full DxDiag report if anyone thinks that will be useful.)

Last edited by Elrundir: 04-26-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
globo

I apologize in advance for any "grammar errors", I don't speak english fluently.

I had, like many others, the same problem a few days ago when I bought the game through STEAM. And in the end it wasn't GFWL, Securom, DirectX, various drivers or any other stuff that usually comes up first in topics about that problem.

It was simply a font linked somehow to .NET Framework 2.0, apparently used by the launcher menu, that was "corrupted" or something : 'Iskoola Pota'. I downloaded it and didn't had any other problems since.

To verify that, you can check Windows errors log. I would have a hard time explaining how to get there since my Windows (7) version is not in english but I think others might help you there if you don't already know how to.

Got the idea from a tech support guy on Eidos forums if I remember correctly that was talking about editing the aspnet.config file used by net framework 2.0. I can't find it now, it's burried under hundreds of almost identical and mostly useless other threads, sorry.

I really hope that it will do the trick. I spent days searching for informations, uninstalling and installing all kinds of stuff and since this thread is fairly recent, I couldn't just walk away.

Last edited by globo: 04-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.
globo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
remoteman213

I have a very similar system (only amd 955 instead) and I had problems as well. Try this:

1. Get revo uninstaller and ccleaner
2. Download this driver: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/43883
3. Uninstall you're graphics drivers and delete the NVIDIA folder on the C:/ drive.
4. Run the registry cleaner in ccleaner.
5. Restart and install the driver you downloaded
6. Try the game
7. If this doesn't work, uninstall the game
8. Restart
9. run revo uninstaller and registry cleaner in ccleaner to remove all traces of Batman
10. Reinstall.

Hope it works!
remoteman213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Dlf

Had the same thing, cept I KNOW I have gotten the system to run the game although it's a Acer 11" laptop. Uinstalled and reinstalled (5+ god damn hours on my connection) and it still crashed . . . . .
Dlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
BoClucky14

Quote:
Originally Posted by globo View Post
I apologize in advance for any "grammar errors", I don't speak english fluently.

I had, like many others, the same problem a few days ago when I bought the game through STEAM. And in the end it wasn't GFWL, Securom, DirectX, various drivers or any other stuff that usually comes up first in topics about that problem.

It was simply a font linked somehow to .NET Framework 2.0, apparently used by the launcher menu, that was "corrupted" or something : 'Iskoola Pota'. I downloaded it and didn't had any other problems since.

To verify that, you can check Windows errors log. I would have a hard time explaining how to get there since my Windows (7) version is not in english but I think others might help you there if you don't already know how to.

Got the idea from a tech support guy on Eidos forums if I remember correctly that was talking about editing the aspnet.config file used by net framework 2.0. I can't find it now, it's burried under hundreds of almost identical and mostly useless other threads, sorry.

I really hope that it will do the trick. I spent days searching for informations, uninstalling and installing all kinds of stuff and since this thread is fairly recent, I couldn't just walk away.
To look at the Error Log, go to the start menu and type "Event Viewer". Press Enter. This should bring up the Event Viewer window.

On the main page, titled "Overview and Summary", look for the section called "Summary of Administrative Events" - You can minimize the others (by clicking on them). Right click on "Errors" and select "View all Instance of this Event".

At that point, your going to have the go through it unless you know the event ID, Task Category, etc. Luckily, they're organized from the latest (on the top), to the oldest (on the bottom) by default. To refresh, be sure to click refresh on the right-hand side!
BoClucky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Alienware Gamer

Game needs securom activation no copy/paste works so unless your securom has been activated/validated as legal it will not work this way!
Alienware Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
globo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoClucky14 View Post
To look at the Error Log, go to the start menu and type "Event Viewer". Press Enter. This should bring up the Event Viewer window.

On the main page, titled "Overview and Summary", look for the section called "Summary of Administrative Events" - You can minimize the others (by clicking on them). Right click on "Errors" and select "View all Instance of this Event".

At that point, your going to have the go through it unless you know the event ID, Task Category, etc. Luckily, they're organized from the latest (on the top), to the oldest (on the bottom) by default. To refresh, be sure to click refresh on the right-hand side!

I found the errors concerning BmLauncher in the "Application" category, might save some time. Since the log is made right away, unless something else happens while you're looking, the BmLauncher should be at the top of the list anyway.
globo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Purduecoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrundir View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get this game to work for a while now with absolutely no luck. Whenever I try to open the game--no matter how I do it, whether it's through Steam or by clicking on the files in the actual game folder--I get a "BmLauncher has stopped working" error. That's it. The Launcher never opens, and I never get an error report of any kind. Windows claims to be searching for solutions to the problem, but it never finds any. That makes two of us.
Sorry, but the only thing I can add to this is "me too." I have a Radeon HD 5850 and similar specs otherwise. I've tried everything - even down to uninstalling my Realtek audio card per some posts I found via Google. Eidos/Square/whoever has been no help. I was escalated to second tier support 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything since.

To anyone on the fence about buying the game (Arkham Asylum), I recommend caution. This is a pretty widespream problem with no apparent solution.
Purduecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Dlf

Thumbs up

I solved my case:

• Install revouninstaller
  • Remove some crap programs (and I think Games For Windows Live)
  • Install Soluto [probably unneeded]
  • Clean boot
  • Check Update Checker (picture of hippo's head)
  • Download (I think) an update for GFWL - install
  • Let steam finish downloading BAA (took god damn hours with my connection)
  • It surprisingly played.
Dlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Marcin313

I had the same problem, but menaged to find a solution.
I just installed VC++ 2012 Redistributable (in my case it was x64) and it worked!
Marcin313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum