Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Niscimble

An idea I just had

While playing Fall of the Samurai today, I was comparing the upkeep of various units and I had an idea pop into my head:

What if you could change the amount of money that you pay your army? I imagined it as a slider in your clan management tab, sort of like the tax sliders. It would default to the middle setting, which would be par with the other Total War games. To prevent abuse of the system, it would have to remain on that setting for at least two turns to affect the units. In other words, if you turned it down to the lowest setting and ended your turn, you would get (n+2) turns of negative effects. On the flip side, in order to get benefits from the high setting, it would have to be on that setting for at least two turns. This is so you can't just turn it up right before a battle to get the benefits, and then turn it down right afterwards.

On the lowest setting, your units would undergo attrition, be more likely to defect to the enemy side during battle, and have lower morale in battle. In a pinch this could save you from bankruptcy, although obviously you wouldn't want to do this long term.

On the highest setting, your troops would replenish slightly faster, have slightly higher morale, and have resistance to enemy agents.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Mr_Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niscimble View Post
While playing Fall of the Samurai today, I was comparing the upkeep of various units and I had an idea pop into my head:

What if you could change the amount of money that you pay your army? I imagined it as a slider in your clan management tab, sort of like the tax sliders. It would default to the middle setting, which would be par with the other Total War games. To prevent abuse of the system, it would have to remain on that setting for at least two turns to affect the units. In other words, if you turned it down to the lowest setting and ended your turn, you would get (n+2) turns of negative effects. On the flip side, in order to get benefits from the high setting, it would have to be on that setting for at least two turns. This is so you can't just turn it up right before a battle to get the benefits, and then turn it down right afterwards.

On the lowest setting, your units would undergo attrition, be more likely to defect to the enemy side during battle, and have lower morale in battle. In a pinch this could save you from bankruptcy, although obviously you wouldn't want to do this long term.

On the highest setting, your troops would replenish slightly faster, have slightly higher morale, and have resistance to enemy agents.
To be more realistic the upkeep on units should be almost non-existent in Garrison during peacetime and jump up sharply when a unit travels a long distance or participates in fighting.
Mr_Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Niscimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eon View Post
To be more realistic the upkeep on units should be almost non-existent in Garrison during peacetime and jump up sharply when a unit travels a long distance or participates in fighting.
Yeah that's true. They had something like this in Medieval 2, where garrisoned units had no upkeep based on the size of the casle/town.
Niscimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2