Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
boysangur

Should Lost&Damned perform like this on my laptop??

Hi internet,
So I seem to get seriously stank fps with this game. Now my laptop is not exactly skynet but I feel that I should be getting better than 12 fps on medium settings.

Off the top of my head, the specs for my XPS 1647:
Screen 1600x900
Intel core i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz
4GB RAM
500GB 7200RPM HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4670
Umm... black

Resource Usage shows something like 350/1018 on high settings and highest benchmark usage number was System Memory Usage at 70%, the rest were in 40s and 50s, yet it runs like crap at 11 fps. Turning everything way down and offing shadows gives me 1 or 2 extra fps...
I decided to go down to 720 from the native resolution and that increased my fps to 20 but the various settings still seem to do nothing but change Resource Usage digits. I looked around and noticed people with crappier systems get better results. Any advice very appreciated.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
geist28

I pretty much have your exact same laptop. Dell Studio XPS 1647, just instead of the Radeon 4670, I have the 5730, and 8 gigs of RAM. Now, I have yet to play lost & Damned, but from my experiences, with BOGT and the regular GTA IV, the game runs like a pig on our laptop (and most other PCs from what I hear). I do a little better than you, FPS wise, I clock about 16-20 ish. With Low-Med settings. I also noticed that changing settings does very little FPS wise. I would assume its your graphics card. I'm not an expert, but it may be something to do with the DirectX capability of the card. Otherwise the only thing it might be is throttling by you PC to reduce the stress load. I notice it happens on mine when I play GTA IV after about 1-1 1/2 hours, generally my framerate will then tank 8-9 FPS. What you might try and what I found to be helpful for gaming on the laptop in general is to keep the vents as free of dust as possible. I vacuum them every 3-4 weeks. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..
geist28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
spyrochaete

Yes, unfortunately your laptops are quite underpowered for this game. Your processor and memory are close to the minimum requirements for this game and your video card is mid-range. Short of an upgrade or playing at lower settings there's not much you can do to make the game perform better with what you've got.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series