Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Nation Red

Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
niqht

Possible to bind both players in local coop to keyboard?

For mame cab use.
I checked the manual and it doesn't seem like it..

Actually, to clarify more, I've been looking around for indie games usable on my cab. Is this workable as a dual stick shooter with 8 way sticks?

Last edited by niqht: 04-25-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht View Post
For mame cab use.
I checked the manual and it doesn't seem like it..

Actually, to clarify more, I've been looking around for indie games usable on my cab. Is this workable as a dual stick shooter with 8 way sticks?
Hello niqht,

Hmm.. because Nation Red supports up to 4 local players, never really considered allowing multiple people to use the same keyboard. I do remember a long time ago someone asked about the same thing though.

I suppose the keyboard part is possible for two players (player #1 WASD and player #2 direction arrows), but then you would still need to be able to shoot/aim which means 2 mice connected to the same pc or two sticks per player on a Mame cabinet.

Adding the keyboard part is easy, I can do that through a console command line to test out; but not sure about two mice input. I'll check into it. How does your cabinet get input for the twin sticks?
SnowBrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
niqht

It's a four player cab, so oldies like Smash TV are a given.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ttt/cab/cd.jpg

Input is with an IPAC. No limitations on number of simultaneous key presses.

Two mice is unusable, but if the game difficulty doesn't become insane only being able to shoot 8 directions then it could work well.
niqht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
So basically you have one stick per player + 6 buttons?

Shooting in the movement direction only (like SmashTV) won't be usuable with Nation Red, it's simply not accurate enough and you won't survive. Almost all the time you'll need to move independently from your firing direction.

It really requires two sticks per player, one movement and one directional firing.

To sum up, the 2-player keyboard binding can be added no problem but without 2 mice or two seperate (thumb)sticks you still won't be able to play effectively. So unless I'm misunderstanding, it's the binding to the sticks that will be the problem (if you can use the keyboard for movement).

Last edited by SnowBrigade: 04-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
niqht

No, that would be 2 sticks per person. Maybe I'm showing my age, but Smash TV is just that.. shooting direction is independent of movement direction.
I'm not trying for 4 player.

As for binding, all sticks and buttons use the IPAC, which in turn is assigned a keyboard key.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht View Post
As for binding, all sticks and buttons use the IPAC, which in turn is assigned a keyboard key.
Got it So the only problem we'll still be up against is that the game requires 360 degree accuracy when aiming, and your cab preferably would want up to 8 directions.

If so, there's no quick way around it. Playing Nation Red on a Mame cabinet would require a game rewrite where a set number of firing directions would suffice.

It is interesting to do. Getting the game to work on a 2 player cab would be nice, but no guarantees
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
niqht

Not a big deal. I am very impressed with your support and talking about such a unique thing. I may yet pick the game up anyway at some point, this has just been a search through TotalBiscuits indie videos looking for games workable with the cab. There are 49way sticks, but they are not so good for fighting games and I'm not up to swapping them out at random.

Buuuuuttt, if you really wanna go nuts.. I have light guns for the cab too

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Nation Red