Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind

Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Zeraan

How to read the minimap?

In the tutorial, it says that the bottom right minimap shows room information for each room. I hover over different rooms, and was able to see different stuff about each room. What I don't get is how the minimap correlates with the level? Do I match the door's name with the room's name in minimap?

I got lost in the first dungeon, but eventually made my way out. I just couldn't wrap my mind around how the minimap works. Are the entrances/exits on a level physically ordered? As in, left door goes to left room in minimap?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
paul1290

The "minimap" is usually what we call the chunk map in the upper left hand corner. What you are referring to in the lower right is what we usually call the "dungeon map".'
I'm not trying to be annoying about it, but I'm going to use those names so we don't confuse anyone reading this.

The dungeon map is a graph-like map rather than a more typical map. It doesn't actually show the sizes of rooms, it shows how the rooms connect with each other. Larger rooms have more doors leading to them.

The room you are in is indicated by a gem. Whenever you stand in front of a door, the smaller gem appears in the room that room connects to.

The rooms are color coded according to important types. Light blue rooms are ordinary rooms. Darker Blue rooms are stairways and ladder rooms. Black rooms are destroyed rooms, which never contain anything and only exist to fill in empty spaces in the building. Yellow rooms are stash rooms, which are the rooms most likely to contain supplies.

The white lines indicate rooms that have vents, tunnels, or alternative non-door entrances to them. They usually connect to rooms with white lines

Whenever you enter a room, you reveal the connecting rooms on the dungeon map. This means when exploring rooms you can have a good idea of what the surrounding rooms contain without actually entering them without entering each and every room.
This is important because most of the time entering each and every room is a waste of time and you'll want to figure out which rooms you want to enter to get what you want.

I hope that helps.
paul1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
FAButzke

This should clear all your doubts:

http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/...se_maps_for%3F
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Zeraan

Those were very helpful tips, rep to you guys! Now I understand how the maps work, thanks!
Zeraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
NanostrikeX

Once you understand the maps, the game gets a TON easier.

I do wish you could make the Dungeon Map slightly bigger, though. You can change the Chunk Map's size, but not the dungeon one, and it gets really, really hard to read in some larger areas.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
TentacleMayor

One of my few gripes so far is on the minimap, red/green dots for doorways can be very hard to see on larger maps.
TentacleMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
tigersfan

Arcen Games, LLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanostrikeX View Post
Once you understand the maps, the game gets a TON easier.

I do wish you could make the Dungeon Map slightly bigger, though. You can change the Chunk Map's size, but not the dungeon one, and it gets really, really hard to read in some larger areas.
This is coming soon. Maybe in the next patch.
tigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersfan View Post
This is coming soon. Maybe in the next patch.
Hey tiger, you are from Arcen, right?
Perhaps you should speak with Valve about giving you admin status for these forums

By the way: Love the game.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeraan View Post
Those were very helpful tips, rep to you guys! Now I understand how the maps work, thanks!
No problem, man.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
tigersfan

Arcen Games, LLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAButzke View Post
Hey tiger, you are from Arcen, right?
Perhaps you should speak with Valve about giving you admin status for these forums

By the way: Love the game.
I am indeed, and we've already sent the request. We're just waiting on Valve. Thanks though!
tigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Kimori

Sweet. I actually dig the minimap pretty well - it's new, innovative and easy to interpret once you figure out how.

Only issue is that sometimes the dungeon or surface map will end up shifted far out of the corner when both are present. The offset from the corner will be about as large as the map itself. (Beta 1.001, I will take screenshots next time I'm at the machine with AVWW installed.)

...Also, I should probably use the Arcen bugtracker for this.
Kimori is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind