Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #46
edytibi

Thank you for this mod,it is awesome.I wish I had it when I first played Dead Island.
I observed several things:
1.The sun raises from the left mountain range (as you look from the beach to the prison) and sets behind the right mountain range,but the moon moves in the opposite direction (raises from right and sets on left).
2.I get a strange glow in the sky like a lens flare positioned always at 11 o'clock (where the sun used to be when the mod wasn't installed) before I'm able to see the sun disc appearing behind the mountains,and it's stationary all day long.
3.That beautiful change of tint from sunset and sunrise has no effect on the environment map (the cubic map that surrounds the island).

I love your mod and hope to see something similar for Jungle and Lab.
edytibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #47
dead-deadisland

Hi glad you enjoyed it
answers ..
moon moves in the opposite direction answer ..the resort has a hard-code glow for the ocean bests place to cover that ...

2.I get a strange glow in the sky like a lens flare .. that's the sky box carnt stop that's techland... made that sky box Abandoned the moving sun idea
3.That beautiful change of tint from sunset and sunrise has no effect on the environment map...i could never work that out, i can make it dark/light , but not change colour ...may be you can ? let me know if you do

Last edited by dead-deadisland: 03-18-2012 at 05:27 AM.
dead-deadisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #48
edytibi

Checked the shaders

I used "Chrome extractor" and checked the materials and textures for "ACT1_PC.rpack".I found the skybox and a map for ocean reflection.You are right,the lensflare is drawn on the skybox.I can remove that and I can create alternate skyboxes for dawn and sunset to match the tint.The question is how to load them without inserting them into the rpack and how to morph between them.
I also had a look at the shaders extracted by Chrome extractor.There are 4 folders,shaders for NVidia High and Low quality and also for ATI High/Low.Unfortunately the shaders are merged in a big file and compiled and I don't know how to separate them.
In the shader file I found the material for the Ocean - "act1a_water_ocean.mat" which uses:
"water_waves_n.dds" a normal map for the waves
"act1a_ocean_rfl.dds" the reflection map with some brown and a lot of blue
"water_foam_b.dds" which is pure white including a mask
"noise_b.dds" couldn't find it,probably another normal map

The glow of the ocean I suppose is due to the shaders for ocean.I dumped a scene with 3D Ripper DX.I found the disassembled shader for the ocean.
======= Disassembled shader =======
//
// Generated by Microsoft (R) HLSL Shader Compiler 9.29.952.3111
//
// Parameters:
//
// float4 INVVIEW_XFORM[4];
// float4 INV_FRUSTUM[2];
// float4 RENDER_TARGET_PARAMS_BIAS;
// float4 STEREO_PARAM;
// sampler2D s_caustics;
// sampler2D s_depth;
// samplerCUBE s_env; ---- samples the skybox
// sampler2D s_foam;
// sampler2D s_nrm;
// sampler2D s_nrm_waves;
// sampler2D s_stereo;
// float4 vSunColor;
// float3 vSunDir;
I wish I knew what that code means and after modification if can be recompiled with "FXC".It seems that the ocean will reflect the skybox even if you hide it.
I turned to black the map responsible for ocean reflection but I have no means to insert it back into the "rpack" file.

I also found this description for ocean reflection multiplier (varlist_descriptions_ocean.scd)

Description("f_reflection_step", "f:EDIT;e:EDIT|SPINNER|SHOW_DESCRIPTION;m:0;s:0.1; c:Ocean;d:Reflection step multiplier [m];" )

I hope that turning the multiplier to 0 will stop the ocean glow.I need some training to understand the scripts before I start the experiments.

PS.One more observation - the sun is rendered in front of the clouds instead of behind them,because the clouds are part of the skybox.I can isolate the clouds as separate layers on a clear skybox if that helps.

Last edited by edytibi: 03-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
edytibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
dead-deadisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by edytibi View Post
I used "Chrome extractor" and checked the materials and textures for "ACT1_PC.rpack".I found the skybox and a map for ocean reflection.You are right,the lensflare is drawn on the skybox.I can remove that and I can create alternate skyboxes for dawn and sunset to match the tint.The question is how to load them without inserting them into the rpack and how to morph between them.
I also had a look at the shaders extracted by Chrome extractor.There are 4 folders,shaders for NVidia High and Low quality and also for ATI High/Low.Unfortunately the shaders are merged in a big file and compiled and I don't know how to separate them.
In the shader file I found the material for the Ocean - "act1a_water_ocean.mat" which uses:
"water_waves_n.dds" a normal map for the waves
"act1a_ocean_rfl.dds" the reflection map with some brown and a lot of blue
"water_foam_b.dds" which is pure white including a mask
"noise_b.dds" couldn't find it,probably another normal map

The glow of the ocean I suppose is due to the shaders for ocean.I dumped a scene with 3D Ripper DX.I found the disassembled shader for the ocean.
======= Disassembled shader =======
//
// Generated by Microsoft (R) HLSL Shader Compiler 9.29.952.3111
//
// Parameters:
//
// float4 INVVIEW_XFORM[4];
// float4 INV_FRUSTUM[2];
// float4 RENDER_TARGET_PARAMS_BIAS;
// float4 STEREO_PARAM;
// sampler2D s_caustics;
// sampler2D s_depth;
// samplerCUBE s_env; ---- samples the skybox
// sampler2D s_foam;
// sampler2D s_nrm;
// sampler2D s_nrm_waves;
// sampler2D s_stereo;
// float4 vSunColor;
// float3 vSunDir;
I wish I knew what that code means and after modification if can be recompiled with "FXC".It seems that the ocean will reflect the skybox even if you hide it.
I turned to black the map responsible for ocean reflection but I have no means to insert it back into the "rpack" file.

I also found this description for ocean reflection multiplier (varlist_descriptions_ocean.scd)

Description("f_reflection_step", "f:EDIT;e:EDIT|SPINNER|SHOW_DESCRIPTION;m:0;s:0.1; c:Ocean;d:Reflection step multiplier [m];" )

I hope that turning the multiplier to 0 will stop the ocean glow.I need some training to understand the scripts before I start the experiments.

PS.One more observation - the sun is rendered in front of the clouds instead of behind them,because the clouds are part of the skybox.I can isolate the clouds as separate layers on a clear skybox if that helps.
Hi
first off id just like to thank you, for the info an time an work you have put in for this ill look into the information you supplied over the weekend thanks again you tube link to find me

Last edited by dead-deadisland: 04-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
dead-deadisland

Hi all
links are fixed now,the should be no more problems, with downloads
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #51
garrett2408

I love this mod it gets kinda boring with the same weather over and over though, but still way better than blazing sun all day.

Also the storm makes the trees do a really funky dance.

http://youtu.be/YsJy44YvTOc
garrett2408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #52
Rugaal

Nice, mod!
Rugaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #53
Feruga

nice information.
Feruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #54
dead-deadisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett2408 View Post
I love this mod it gets kinda boring with the same weather over and over though, but still way better than blazing sun all day.

Also the storm makes the trees do a really funky dance.

http://youtu.be/YsJy44YvTOc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugaal View Post
Nice, mod!
Thanks guys glad you enjoyed it , don't forget to add my car headlights mod to it for night time driving
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #55
dead-deadisland

Hi all update news
iv worked out how to slow down the weather cycles so the day an night pass slowly similar to real time .they will be more realistic an close to a real time day an night .
ill release new versions when completed
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
garrett2408

I think it is fine how it is, with limited flash light night time in real time is gonna be really annoying.
maybe just double or triple the present time?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #57
dead-deadisland

Quote:
I think it is fine how it is, with limited flash light night time in real time is gonna be really annoying.
maybe just double or triple the present time?
valid point but ..dont worry its not going to be 24hr s to run the cycle it means you can add more in the time window if i wanted too ..this will be a new version brand new script the night time is going to be more like this one in the other mod im making so flash light is not such a issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmY8vXgQCw
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #58
garrett2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead-deadisland View Post
valid point but ..dont worry its not going to be 24hr s to run the cycle it means you can add more in the time window if i wanted too ..this will be a new version brand new script the night time is going to be more like this one in the other mod im making so flash light is not such a issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmY8vXgQCw
That mod has nice darkness, i suggest 2 or 3 times longer with that lighting. That would work well.
Also is it possible to double the zombies at night?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #59
dead-deadisland

Quote:
That mod has nice darkness, i suggest 2 or 3 times longer with that lighting. That would work well.
Also is it possible to double the zombies at night?
read the notes in video on that mod

Last edited by dead-deadisland: 04-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #60
garrett2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead-deadisland View Post
read the notes in video on that mod
Alright, I cannot wait. A separate mod for weather and double zombies only though?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island