Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Settlers series, The

Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #316
xguild

I bought it

I'm not a fan of DRM's and I approach them cautiously but I did buy this game because I trust Steam explicity, so my sense of it was if they will force a DRM as long as it happens through steam and the account is associated with steam I'm less concerned.

So far I haven't had any problems but this discussion did prompt me to write an article on my blog about it (Here it is if your interested).

The jist of it is however that the concept of fighting piracy through restrictive and complicated DRM's does little but promote piracy even further simply because a DRM is nothing more than a public challenge to hackers. I think most of us aren't pirates, we have steam, which I think is the definitive answer to piracy. As a gamer I see piracy the same way I see a speed limit sign, I know its against the law, I know I might get caught but I do it anyway on occassion when Im in a hurry. Steam has changed that because I can get my games faster through steam than I can through pirate bay. The cost of games is a problem in some cases as I believe people do often charge too much for games, but on steam I buy games on sale 90% of the time so it really is the answer to my desire to get games quickly, digitaly and for a reasonable price. Since I got my steam account I have purchased over a dozen games and frankly haven't pirated software in over a year. The first time I seriously considered it was with Settlers 7 simply because I have gotten screwed on a DRM before (Spore), which I ultimatly downloaded a pirated version despite having purchased it just because the stupid DRM eventually locked me out of my purchase.

I think Valve has to be careful with DRM software on their site, if I purchase it and get screwed on the DRM my complaint will be to Valve/Steam and not to UBI Soft because I paid for it here, as far as Im concerned they are responsible to ensure my game is secure and I can play it.
xguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #317
gustone

i bought settlers7 on gamersgate a year ago and bought it again on steam because it should be in my library. for those who like management games its an amazing game, there arent many games like this anymore.(i would very much like the caesar and zeus games to be remastered, would be day1 purchase for me).
regardless of drm and all those (i think ubisoft is improving there with last releases), i hope it was a success for the company because i want the next settlers game to be developed soon.
and i didnt have any problems with drm so far, although i hate it too
gustone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #318
Grifta

If you wanted to play this February then you would have run into problems.
Grifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #319
stinkypantsr

I take it the 'always on' drm is still in place?
stinkypantsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #320
spetsdod

Add me to the list of "always on" DRM detractors. Ubisoft occasionally gets around to removing these useless DRM schemes on their games, so until then I will wait.

Another question, for anyone who has already bought this game (ON STEAM specifically)... When you launch the game to play, do you have to log into the Ubisoft Launcher or does it just play straight from Steam?

Another problem I have with so many games on Steam is the requirement to use an unrelated launcher to get into the game. (Ubisoft, Games for Windows Live, etc). Some of the games I own already require you to play them through another launcher and I detest that. I'm not talking about just games that have a patcher and launcher for the game itself, but more like a competing interface to Steam that requires you to have a separate account specific to that launcher, etc.
spetsdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #321
Mr SmokesAlot

Banned
With or without drm, the victory point system completely ruins the game for me. You have to rush through every level like a crazy person so there's no taking your time and building a nice looking and functioning city, no no.

Don't waste your cash folks.
Mr SmokesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #322
scorch213

The Victory Point system was a bummer for me aswell. But you can edit the victory conditions of the maps, even remove it completely, so the only way to win would be to take the enemy castle. Eventually after playing the campaign i got used to them and kinda started to like them and start using the preset victory points conditions again.
scorch213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #323
parliament

This game looks pretty cool. Instantly lost interest when I saw

Quote:
Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.
parliament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #324
parliament

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguild View Post
I'm not a fan of DRM's and I approach them cautiously but I did buy this game because I trust Steam explicity, so my sense of it was if they will force a DRM as long as it happens through steam and the account is associated with steam I'm less concerned.

So far I haven't had any problems but this discussion did prompt me to write an article on my blog about it (Here it is if your interested).

The jist of it is however that the concept of fighting piracy through restrictive and complicated DRM's does little but promote piracy even further simply because a DRM is nothing more than a public challenge to hackers. I think most of us aren't pirates, we have steam, which I think is the definitive answer to piracy. As a gamer I see piracy the same way I see a speed limit sign, I know its against the law, I know I might get caught but I do it anyway on occassion when Im in a hurry. Steam has changed that because I can get my games faster through steam than I can through pirate bay. The cost of games is a problem in some cases as I believe people do often charge too much for games, but on steam I buy games on sale 90% of the time so it really is the answer to my desire to get games quickly, digitaly and for a reasonable price. Since I got my steam account I have purchased over a dozen games and frankly haven't pirated software in over a year. The first time I seriously considered it was with Settlers 7 simply because I have gotten screwed on a DRM before (Spore), which I ultimatly downloaded a pirated version despite having purchased it just because the stupid DRM eventually locked me out of my purchase.

I think Valve has to be careful with DRM software on their site, if I purchase it and get screwed on the DRM my complaint will be to Valve/Steam and not to UBI Soft because I paid for it here, as far as Im concerned they are responsible to ensure my game is secure and I can play it.
Just so you know, Valve won't refund your money if Ubisoft's DRM dies or you run out of activations. Your trust is misplaced; all they have to do is put a 3rd party DRM notice on the store page and Valve's involvement ends.
parliament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #325
retrox

Hm, was looking to buy a fun sim game tonight. Just wanted to pop in and let Ubi know they lost another sale to their DRM.
retrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #326
cylon

To be fair, since i bought it i've only ran into a DRM problem once.

I think i was downloading something at top speed and because it was throttling the connection, the game thought i was disconnected for a few seconds.

But i can see how it can be annoying :P
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #327
bogd

+1 here.

Played the Settlers series since its beginning (and I think I must've spent hundreds of hours of my life in Settlers 3 ).

However, I just cannot bring myself to buy Settlers 7, not even with the current discount.

The worst part was reading this (on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_7 ):
"The protection was quickly defeated by the cracking scene, meaning the DRM restrictions and the need to connect to the Internet only affects legitimate purchasers of the game. Cracked copies have no such requirement [...] Settlers 7 remains the only Ubisoft PC game to still have the DRM system in place, with all other DRM -implemented titles such as Assassin's Creed 2, From Dust and Splinter Cell: Conviction all have had their DRM protection officially removed via recent patches."

Great job, Ubisoft - way to punish the people who actually want to _buy_ the games they like!
bogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #328
wiidad

I wanted this game, but not with DRM

Not buying game until DRM is removed, Period. I refuse to ever buy a game i cant play when and where I want to play it. who would buy a game they can lose access to permanently when the DRM server goes offline? Answer: only a child, who doesn't know they shouldn't be treated this way...
wiidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #329
nbonini

I have to add my "me too" here.

nbonini
nbonini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #330
Shihoudani

I bought it despite the DRM issue. To me it isn't a problem. My internet connection is always on, and if it isn't then I'm to busy then with work to care.

I heard Settlers 7 was a good game and I couldn't just pass up on this sale.
Shihoudani is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Settlers series, The