Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
BraidFan

Thumbs down why most of the new G4WL games region locked?

this is really annoying,
region locked for games is very primitive thing to do,and it's only hurt the developers,cuz it's prevent people like me from buying the games,this trend seems to be thankfully stopped for most games,but seems that,recently Microsoft giving us more reasons to hate their service,I just found out Toy Soliders is region locked and it seems I've no legal way to get this game.... I'm no by any mean encouraging piracy,but there will be need someway to encourage developers to stop it,it just doesn't make any sense to do this,only by making us hating this service even more.

Last edited by BraidFan: 04-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
MikeBlaszczak

Valve
Nothing to do with Steam Community, so this moves to the General area.
MikeBlaszczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
MADDOGGE

MS is their own worst enemy. There are different reasons for region locks but since I don't have a seat on the MS board of directors, I don't know why MS shoots themselves in the foot so often.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
BraidFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
MS is their own worst enemy. There are different reasons for region locks but since I don't have a seat on the MS board of directors, I don't know why MS shoots themselves in the foot so often.

I've heard about the reason as well,but today,they are pointless with the current internet technology and the fact it can be bypassed.
BraidFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Cattleclysm

Only GFWL games that use SSA(Server Side Authentication) are region restricted on Steam.

- Because GFWL uses Xbox Live servers

- Because Microsoft don't want other countries bothering their servers with higher pings(even if it's slightly)

- Because they have to open Xbox Live to these countries to remove GFWL restriction

- They're not going to put out Xbox Live servers so customers can use GFWL

- They won't split GFWL and Xbox Live servers

TL;DR

Microsoft doesn't care about you or your money, because it's too much hassle for them.
Cattleclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
{Yotsuba}

Valve chose a long time ago to stop selling GFWL games in "unsupported" regions. It is likely they did that so they didn't have to deal with support requests from people who didn't make a GFWL account set to a supported region.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Cattleclysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post
Valve chose a long time ago to stop selling GFWL games in "unsupported" regions. It is likely they did that so they didn't have to deal with support requests from people who didn't make a GFWL account set to a supported region.
Only SSA ones are not available. Rest can be bought on any place in earth as long as there isn't special kind of restriction.
Cattleclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
TheSagetEffect

GFWL is effectively an extension of XBOX Live so Microsoft can make a scratch into the PC gaming industry (ironically). It doesn't even have a proper support page on their websites (as far as I know).

So the answer to any of your GFWL questions is generally "Because GFWL is a joke"
TheSagetEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
BraidFan

just to clarify things,
1.G4WL is indeed working in my country.
2.I have BT:AC,it is region locked too on my Steam,but I got from Greenman
3.it seems I can actually buy Toy soldiers from the official G4WL store but without discount...
BraidFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Vayne4800

Well, is it even Valve's responsibility to support GFWL issues? They can easily redirect the people to MS. They can also add a warning about it or something and let us decide to buy it or not. It is like cigarretes; put a label on it about how bad it is but let me decide for themselves.

An extreme analogy but it was the first that came to mind! No, I do not smoke >.>
Vayne4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
{Yotsuba}

Only SSA ones are not available. Rest can be bought on any place in earth as long as there isn't special kind of restriction.

Well the activation isn't going to be the issue. As I've personally activated several such titles in a region where those titles weren't available.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
mattila95

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraidFan View Post
this is really annoying,
region locked for games is very primitive thing to do,and it's only hurt the developers,cuz it's prevent people like me from buying the games,this trend seems to be thankfully stopped for most games,but seems that,recently Microsoft giving us more reasons to hate their service,I just found out Toy Soliders is region locked and it seems I've no legal way to get this game.... I'm no by any mean encouraging piracy,but there will be need someway to encourage developers to stop it,it just doesn't make any sense to do this,only by making us hating this service even more.
Because Micro wants to force people to P***** games, and at the same time cry on how people P***** games. ( = satisfaction?)

If you ask be, the people on Micro´s board have head full of instead of brains.
mattila95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
Phatmillips

I dont know if this is mentioned already but XBL is only available in certain countries, thus if the game uses GFWL and Xbox Live isnt in your country you cant play the game.
Phatmillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion