Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
dishymars
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 18
Posts: 255
HEY TRENDY WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHIME IN HERE?

EH HELLO THERE... seeing that you hit us with these 1GB updates so often would you like to tell us what the hell is going on forcing everyone to download the new content even if they are not purchasing it? I agreed to purchase a game that used a certain amount of hard drive space. Now I can't play THE GAME I PURCHASED unless I agree to what I consider to be utter and complete BULL .

I would like to know if these 1 GB files are just stacking up on my hard drive or if there is some purge being done and the old files are being erased cause yeah not sure what world/century your living in but your game and its 1 GB 'tweaks' is taking up like 1000 times more space on everyone's drives than it should be taking up.
dishymars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
AusSkiller
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 43
Posts: 440
People who don't pay for the DLC are still able to play on it, so they also need to download it.

The files get replaced by new once, the total size of the game only increases by a fraction of the amount you download. The new DLC probably only takes up a few hundred MB at most but a lot of old data would need to be updated so you need to replace that data with the updated stuff hence the 1gb+ patch size.
AusSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Boats
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 17
Posts: 126
actually the size of the new updates, for the most part, dont affect the size of the current stuff because they are meant to patch the old files and not added on in addition to. new contents should contribute to a larger size but should not be by much.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
dishymars
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 18
Posts: 255
thank you for the information. Can someone elaborate how people who don't purchase the DLC are able to play it or what the difference is?

Confirmation that the old files are being discarded is good. It would be nice if they mentioned that somewhere in the patch notes. Sorry but the way it is now seems highly unprofessional to me and boneheadish.

I mean who drops these 1GB updates all the time without letting subscribers know that these are replacing old files and that the old files are being purged?


Just seems highly inept...I log into steam and like once a week I see "Dungeon Defenders" one of my games among 100's, downloading these vast files as if I have an infinite amount of hard drive space, bandwith, and time to devote to it. I then go look at what the update is all about and I see that I am downloading 1 GB of data so that the "Barbarians charge does 3% less damage" because some bozo on their forums had an aneurism that such and such was out of balance. I mean wow, now if I want to play the game I have to subject myself to these bozo little tweaks that should be like a 400 kilobyte patch and instead I'm supposed to sit here and wait 4 hours for a 1GB patch to download.. and this isn't 1 every few months, its like once a week.
dishymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
injected11
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 206
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishymars View Post
thank you for the information. Can someone elaborate how people who don't purchase the DLC are able to play it or what the difference is?

Confirmation that the old files are being discarded is good. It would be nice if they mentioned that somewhere in the patch notes. Sorry but the way it is now seems highly unprofessional to me and boneheadish.

I mean who drops these 1GB updates all the time without letting subscribers know that these are replacing old files and that the old files are being purged?


Just seems highly inept...I log into steam and like once a week I see "Dungeon Defenders" one of my games among 100's, downloading these vast files as if I have an infinite amount of hard drive space, bandwith, and time to devote to it. I then go look at what the update is all about and I see that I am downloading 1 GB of data so that the "Barbarians charge does 3% less damage" because some bozo on their forums had an aneurism that such and such was out of balance. I mean wow, now if I want to play the game I have to subject myself to these bozo little tweaks that should be like a 400 kilobyte patch and instead I'm supposed to sit here and wait 4 hours for a 1GB patch to download.. and this isn't 1 every few months, its like once a week.
The changes and future changes are all documented and clearly posted on Trendy's forums. The large-sized updates are caused by how the Unreal Engine updates. To play DLC you don't own, you go to the games list and join someone who is hosting it (this excludes any Eternia Shards pack stage).
injected11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Reloire
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 94
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishymars View Post
I am downloading 1 GB of data so that the "Barbarians charge does 3% less damage" because some bozo on their forums had an aneurism that such and such was out of balance. I mean wow, now if I want to play the game I have to subject myself to these bozo little tweaks that should be like a 400 kilobyte patch and instead I'm supposed to sit here and wait 4 hours for a 1GB patch to download.. and this isn't 1 every few months, its like once a week.
This quote of the day for me. Good job, man.
Reloire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
thebriarfox
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 204
Oh, it's this thread again.
thebriarfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
T@F
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Reputation: 1868
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSkiller View Post
People who don't pay for the DLC are still able to play on it, so they also need to download it.
I thought ppl cannot play the shards ones unless they own it.
I know the holiday dlc they can join,but not the shards dlc.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
oldbrokenlink
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 359
Posts: 3,016
even if you do not buy the new maps you get all the new functionality in existing maps, heroes, gear, ect.
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
carlh267
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 228
Posts: 1,986
Seriously, these threads need to stop. I think there's been at least 20 of these damn things now, most of them probably still on the first or second page of this forum.

We know, some people have a cap on bandwidth. We know people don't like downloading tiny patches every week. We've already suggested the solution a thousand times- turn off auto-updates until you want to play the game. That way, if you want to play the new content, you can download it whenever the hell you feel like it.

Yes, sometimes their updates should really be consolidated. But we've already posted a solution to your problem and nobody seems to care to look for it.
carlh267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
oldbrokenlink
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 359
Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh267 View Post
Seriously, these threads need to stop. I think there's been at least 20 of these damn things now, most of them probably still on the first or second page of this forum.

We know, some people have a cap on bandwidth. We know people don't like downloading tiny patches every week. We've already suggested the solution a thousand times- turn off auto-updates until you want to play the game. That way, if you want to play the new content, you can download it whenever the hell you feel like it.

Yes, sometimes their updates should really be consolidated. But we've already posted a solution to your problem and nobody seems to care to look for it.
my fear is that these constant postings will eventually move trendy to stop making intermittent releases

instead of them simply disabling automatic updates we end up with having to live with bugs for extended amount of time just to keep these posters content
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
oliathsg
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 274
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
my fear is that these constant postings will eventually move trendy to stop making intermittent releases

instead of them simply disabling automatic updates we end up with having to live with bugs for extended amount of time just to keep these posters content
Don't worry.
It won't stop Trendy from doing everything.

Literally everyone in the games industry knows that the steam forums are filled with pre-pubescant teens and angry 'pc gamers' and see them as something of a joke.

It's actually quite tactical move nowadays to create a steam forum as a drag net that catches most the QQ and keeps it away from official forums.
oliathsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
AusSkiller
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 43
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
I thought ppl cannot play the shards ones unless they own it.
I know the holiday dlc they can join,but not the shards dlc.
Ahh you could be right, sorry for the confusion, I own all the DLC so I never really took too much notice of who could join what.
AusSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.