Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Uff0

Lightbulb Suggestion: Steam icon to menu bar

I would love to have the option of having the Steam icon in the menu bar (upper right) in Mac OS X, and at the same time having the option to remove the Steam icon from the dock while it's running. Clicking the menu bar icon, would then bring down a list of: Games, Friends, Store etc. etc.

That would be similar to how Steam works in Windows, where you have the Steam icon in the notification area (lower right), so Steam acts more like a "back ground" program, until you want to use it.

What do you guys think of this idea?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
jeanlain

It has been suggested before. I don't mind as long as the menu extra quits when I quit the app. But I don't really see the need of it.
jeanlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Mangr0v3

No, this has been argued to death before. Steam does not belong in the menu bar.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Uff0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
No, this has been argued to death before. Steam does not belong in the menu bar.
Well, of course it would be optional to have it there.
Uff0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Mangr0v3

Adding bad options is never a good idea.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
jedi31293

Not a fan of this idea. I like to keep my menu bar as clean as possible. Besides, the Steam dock icon achieves everything a menu icon could. There's no distinct advantage to it except to remove one icon from your dock.
jedi31293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Janichsan

By the way, here's one of the threads where this already has been discussed. I remember at least one or two more, but cannot find them right now.
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Uff0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Adding bad options is never a good idea.
I like how you are stating your opinion as if it was a fact. Care to elaborate on why it's so bad? It would make sense with how Steam works in Windows. Other social programs such as Adium and Skype have a presence in the menu bar so why not Steam?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Uff0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi31293 View Post
Not a fan of this idea. I like to keep my menu bar as clean as possible. Besides, the Steam dock icon achieves everything a menu icon could. There's no distinct advantage to it except to remove one icon from your dock.
Not everyone likes to use the dock, and once again, no one is forcing you to have Steam there, I would just like to see the option to do so.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
smoke.tetsu

It's interesting that people are even against there even being an option for it as if having an option would hurt them in some way. I personally don't use the menubar icon for Adium but I don't begrudge others the choice.
smoke.tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke.tetsu View Post
It's interesting that people are even against there even being an option for it as if having an option would hurt them in some way. I personally don't use the menubar icon for Adium but I don't begrudge others the choice.
I agree... although I would never use that feature, it wouldn't hurt to have the option, as long as it isn't mandatory
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff0 View Post
I like how you are stating your opinion as if it was a fact. Care to elaborate on why it's so bad? It would make sense with how Steam works in Windows. Other social programs such as Adium and Skype have a presence in the menu bar so why not Steam?
Saying that "that's how Steam works in Windows" leads straight into the design flaws that made Steam as horrible as it is on the Mac. Whilst I can't speak for Skype or Adium, looking at my menu bar shows the pattern of menu extra usage:
  • Spotlight: Always there, background system service.
  • Displays: Access to often-used system setting
  • Users: Access to often-used system setting
  • WiFi: Access to frequently-used system setting
  • Time: Genuinely useful.
  • Battery: Genuinely useful.
  • Language Flag: Visual indicator of current system input setting
  • Time Machine: Indicator of system state
  • VPN: Access to often-used system setting
  • Bluetooth: Access to often-used system setting
  • CloudApp: Background service
  • Dropbox: Background service
  • Linkinus: Application running as background service
  • Twitter: Wait, what's that doing there? *deletes*

The general pattern of usage of a menu extra can therefore be established as either:
  • An often-used System Preference.
  • The only means of interacting with a background service (without launching a foreground application).

Steam is neither of these. Steam is not a background service that integrates with the system. Steam is not a background service that sits on top of the system. Steam is not a system preference. Steam is a social gaming platform, DRM client and digital distribution download client that tends to crash if left open for too long. It already has a Dock Menu for quick access to Steam dialogs that acts as a rough equivalent to the Windows 7 Jumplist menu Steam has under Windows.

In fact, even in Windows 7, Steam shouldn't have a system tray icon at all because everything it does can be done through the jumplist. It's completely superfluous on both Windows and OS X, and in fact it should probably be removed in Windows, not added to the Mac client.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Janichsan

Here's a strong argument against having a Steam menu bar extra without a Dock icon:
Quote:
Don’t rely on the presence of menu bar extras. The system might change which menu bar extras are visible, and you can’t be sure which menu bar extras users have chosen to show or hide.
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
thom-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke.tetsu View Post
There's a tenet of UI design that says that every time you add an option, you reduce the discoverability of all the other interface elements. Not to mention it's one more thing in the codebase that has to be maintained. Show me a piece of software that includes every option ever suggested by users, and I'll show you an ugly mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janichsan View Post
Here's a strong argument against having a Steam menu bar extra without a Dock icon:
I don't think that's an argument against menu bar extras, but rather a warning not to include non-redundant features in a menu bar extra.

I would never put Steam in my menu bar, and I don't think it makes sense for the Steam programmers to take adding an option for it as a high priority.
thom-22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam