Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
bigsmellyfart

Angry legal action needs to be taken

Dear steam

i found a game that is in copyright violation of your name
STEAM. the executable is the same name steam.exe and it intall directly into my valve steam folder instead of a folder of its own and when i tried to open steam i could not find the steam icon as it was i found some icon labled steam and it played the new steam game ( not the steam Platform )checked its properties and it was installed in my steam platform folder navagated to it with my computer and activated steam.exe and the game not the sream interface/platform ran...went to the controle panel programs and features found 2 steam enteries one said valve steam whatever and the other just said steam i uninstalled it not only did it un instale that steam game but it began deleating steam platform components incuding the backup folder.. needles to say im not a happy camper... and here for you evedence is a link

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...l?search=steam

Last edited by bigsmellyfart: 04-28-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
s1234567890m

what?
s1234567890m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Europhoria

You seem to have a habit of posting nonsensical posts. Why would you install the game to your Valve folder for?
Europhoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Spyder810

Lol...whoop-dee-doo they made a game they call Steam... Steam is just a service, run under the ValvE Trademark. Feel free to scroll down to the bottom of the page if you don't believe me.
Spyder810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Cosinus P. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
what?
Having deciphered this, I believe he installed a game titled Steam, and it seemed to have led to some problem or caused him confusion, so he uninstalled it and appearantly Windows began deleting STEAM content as well.
Cosinus P. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
newuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmellyfart View Post
legal action needs to be taken
Have you called 911 or the Internet police?
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Mangr0v3

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/...chwood/wat.jpg
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Wiiplay

Quote:
Dear steam

STEAM. the executable is the same name steam.exe and it intall directly into my valve steam folder instead of a folder of its own and when i tried to open steam i could not find the steam icon as it was i found some icon labled steam and it played the new steam game ( not the steam Platform )checked its properties and it was installed in my steam platform folder navagated to it with my computer and activated steam.exe and the game not the sream interface/platform ran...went to the controle panel programs and features found 2 steam enteries one said valve steam whatever and the other just said steam i uninstalled it not only did it un instale that steam game but it began deleating steam platform components incuding the backup folder.. needles to say im not a happy camper... and here for you evedence is a link

Steam is nothing more than vaporized water particles, and because of how general the name is, no one company can completely own the rights to the word 'Steam'.
Because of that, the game on the website you've provided does not violate any of Valves copyrights, and they cannot be sued for copyright infringement.

Although Valve could take legal action against the games creators, simply based on the fact that Valve is trying to protect their brand awareness. But really, why would a major company in the entertainment industry, a near monopoly in size, go to court with a far smaller, far less unknown group of indie game designers simply because they created a game that uses the same name as the Steam store?

Hey, after Valve's done suing the heck out of the little guys, maybe they should go after the appliance industry for using steam to power some of their appliances.
Wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
notdeadyet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiiplay View Post
maybe they should go after the appliance industry for using steam to power some of their appliances.
Dude, Half Life 3 on a laundry machine would be amazing.
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
Wiiplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeadyet01 View Post
Dude, Half Life 3 on a laundry machine would be amazing.
Nah, the vibrations would kill it.
Wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Cattleclysm

He will call Cyber Police & State Police and consequences will never be the same
Cattleclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
bigsmellyfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europhoria View Post
You seem to have a habit of posting nonsensical posts. Why would you install the game to your Valve folder for?
there are no options in the game install to select a folder... its all automatic another sin of that game system
bigsmellyfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
bigsmellyfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiiplay View Post
Steam is nothing more than vaporized water particles, and because of how general the name is, no one company can completely own the rights to the word 'Steam'.
Because of that, the game on the website you've provided does not violate any of Valves copyrights, and they cannot be sued for copyright infringement.

Although Valve could take legal action against the games creators, simply based on the fact that Valve is trying to protect their brand awareness. But really, why would a major company in the entertainment industry, a near monopoly in size, go to court with a far smaller, far less unknown group of indie game designers simply because they created a game that uses the same name as the Steam store?

Hey, after Valve's done suing the heck out of the little guys, maybe they should go after the appliance industry for using steam to power some of their appliances.
they could at least send them a leagle letter asking them to change the destination folder just like microsoft does as winows is a generic term but they send leagle letter threatening
leagle action and programs like windows commander become total commander i have seen this happen to half a dozen or more applications even though windows is also a generic just like steam is generic... why dont you down load this game try it so to speak then try to run steam( the game platform ) all you steam apps will be unaccessable till you get steam reinstalled... my mistake was tring to uninstall that stupid game
instead of just reinstalling steam...but hind site is 20/20

P.S. as far as your thinking that no company would sue cause its a generic term microsoft has allready set a Precedent

Last edited by bigsmellyfart: 04-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.
bigsmellyfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Dear steam

Punctuations signs for god's mercy... use them! (and not only together in pack of three)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips