Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Pound of Ground

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Corvus Corax

Games rarely jarate me off, but this one does

Tried the demo and bought it on the recent sale. The demo led me to believe it was a light-hearted, casual romp-type game. So I start the campaign and the third mission starts off with a "death race" against an ueber vehicle armed with guns and homing missiles. I'm equipped with a largely unsteerable car that must run for its life through a series of obstacles and jumps (faster you go the less control you have).

Last try I almost made it to the very end before hanging up on a fence and getting popped. Maybe I'll make it next try....or maybe I'll make it 10 tries from now. Oh wait...I've already uninstalled it and moved onto another game.

Have the developers ever heard of game-balance? You don't front-load difficulty in early missions just to enhance player frustration...especially when dealing with fixed save points.

No more buys from this developer.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Nightsparrow

You actually managed to die in that race? I mean, it's pretty easy.
Nightsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
dmanthey

I found the whole game too easy. I don't think I died even once.
My main complaint other than the lack of mp is probably how easy it is.
dmanthey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
SLowrAM

I hear you loud and clear Corvus Corax. I too wish all games had an option to skip a mission or cheat console to do some god like play for problem/difficult areas especially when the whole game doesn't play at that level. The only plus to them not doing so is you feel happy once you finally beat it as you won't have to do it again (a cheap thrill). There's been a few games I've done the same as you (quit them) and with (not this one of course) games getting more expensive I want to get my moneys worth so being able to skip a hard mission or cheat a way around it would allow me to continue on (this is for those cases when 1 part is harder than the part preceding or following).
Specifically I remember this happening in a HOMM game and most recently Fear 2. I was enjoying Fear 2 but I'm stuck on part of a mission and I don't find that particular process fun to repeat many times and games (for me at least) should be about having fun.
I've heard (not ran into this yet) LA Noire will let you skip a rundown/shootout if you fail it a few times and I'd love to see this become common versus extremely rare.
SLowrAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Fangride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLowrAM View Post
I hear you loud and clear Corvus Corax. I too wish all games had an option to skip a mission or cheat console to do some god like play for problem/difficult areas especially when the whole game doesn't play at that level. The only plus to them not doing so is you feel happy once you finally beat it as you won't have to do it again (a cheap thrill). There's been a few games I've done the same as you (quit them) and with (not this one of course) games getting more expensive I want to get my moneys worth so being able to skip a hard mission or cheat a way around it would allow me to continue on (this is for those cases when 1 part is harder than the part preceding or following).
Specifically I remember this happening in a HOMM game and most recently Fear 2. I was enjoying Fear 2 but I'm stuck on part of a mission and I don't find that particular process fun to repeat many times and games (for me at least) should be about having fun.
I've heard (not ran into this yet) LA Noire will let you skip a rundown/shootout if you fail it a few times and I'd love to see this become common versus extremely rare.
Not sure if serious... or just trolling...
Fangride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Kyle2268

Wow, cheat? Skipping levels? What the hell man, the challenge is what makes games fun. If everyone just decided to give up and move on when a game is too hard then there would be a lot of great games missed. Play Super Meat Boy or a Metal Slug game, you'll thank me for it later.
Kyle2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Xenite

Some people play games for the story, I play Mass Effect on normal my wife plays on story mode since she cares nothing for combat... who cares, it doesn't affect you.
Xenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Wamtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2268 View Post
Wow, cheat? Skipping levels? What the hell man, the challenge is what makes games fun. If everyone just decided to give up and move on when a game is too hard then there would be a lot of great games missed. Play Super Meat Boy or a Metal Slug game, you'll thank me for it later.
There's challenge, then there's frustration. Unfortunately, a lot of games do have that ONE BLASTED LEVEL that you just wish you could skip. You must understand that some people just find extremely difficult challenges in video games frustrating, and honestly it makes sense (heck, I'm like that). Isn't life frustrating enough as it is?

And honestly, I still have plenty of games I like and finish even though I've given up on numerous frustrating ones.
Wamtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Astartes_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
Tried the demo and bought it on the recent sale. The demo led me to believe it was a light-hearted, casual romp-type game. So I start the campaign and the third mission starts off with a "death race" against an ueber vehicle armed with guns and homing missiles. I'm equipped with a largely unsteerable car that must run for its life through a series of obstacles and jumps (faster you go the less control you have).

Last try I almost made it to the very end before hanging up on a fence and getting popped. Maybe I'll make it next try....or maybe I'll make it 10 tries from now. Oh wait...I've already uninstalled it and moved onto another game.

Have the developers ever heard of game-balance? You don't front-load difficulty in early missions just to enhance player frustration...especially when dealing with fixed save points.

No more buys from this developer.

Cant beat the third level in an easy video game....? you'er not Corax at all.
Astartes_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #10
killkhan

You.Cant.Jump.
killkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
cendos

Centauri Production
You can always lower your game difficulty in the game's options. If it starts to be too easy, just ramp the difficulty back up.
cendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Scorpio27

I know this is big bump but the only thing that annoyed me was the load screens because of small area sizes
Scorpio27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Pound of Ground