Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
smnc4skyrim

petition: Games purchased by new users should be tradeable to other users!!!

GAMES PURCHASED BY NEW USERS SHOULD BE TRADEABLE!!!

this is mainly to bring this to peoples attention and maybe get it changed.

Please valve no more trade locked games.
it would be better to lock a new account from trading for 30day than to lock the games. (as they could still gift/email them)
scammers buy new AAA and top selling games with new account on the sole plan of scamming with them.
if all trades are to be done within the trade window why lockout games from this system. i don't see the logic in this!
if a game is really wanted they will allways find a victim.

please help spread the word =) and i would love to here your thoughts on his.

Last edited by smnc4skyrim: 04-29-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnc4skyrim View Post
i don't see the logic in this!
So hi-jacked accounts can't be abused for this.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
smnc4skyrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
So hi-jacked accounts can't be abused for this.
if its hi-jacked its probably not a new account and is not effected anyway.
smnc4skyrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Evrain

I always bought retail, so had my account trade-locked, as you put it. I bought a $1 DLC, traded it for an indie game, problem solved.

So unless you are one of those "no credit card/no debit card/no PaySafeCard/no nothing" users or the "I don't want to buy anything, only trade" type, this should work for you too.
Evrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Satoru

If you activate any retail games on Steam your trading delay deactivates.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
smnc4skyrim

i'm not talking about accounts i'm talking about gift only games.
you know games that can not be traded in the window but only gifted.

did you people even read it?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Satoru

Allow me to clarify something then

YOU ARE SOLVING THE WRONG PROBLEM

If you are taking about trade 'fraud/scam/etc' then this isn't a problem with the scammer, it's a problem with stupid people enabling the scammers.

DO NOT TRADE FOR ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT FIT IN A SINGLE TRADE WINDOW

Follow this very very simple rule and it makes anything else moot. There's no need to disable gifting. Gifting IS NOT TRADING and thus isn't relevant.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
smnc4skyrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
If you are taking about trade 'fraud/scam/etc' then this isn't a problem with the scammer, it's a problem with stupid people enabling the scammers.
ya so lets not try to fix it and leave loopholes for scammers to exploit.

lost keys can be returned this is kind of a bad thing to leave in place and on top of that there no punishment.
since trade bans are temporary its almost like "why not try it"? the only reason you wouldn't is because of morals and you know how some people are with them.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Satoru

Disabling gifting just punishes legitimate new users. Gifting games is a legitimate feature, and is separate from Trading. Disabling gifting means new users can't take advantage of the feature, which is especially bad when you buy a 4pack and then can't gift it to your friends. Again why disable a legitimate feature, just because some other people aren't smart enough? Why punish legitimate users just because some people cannot seem to understand how Steam Trading works? It's only a loophole if you enable scammers to use it.

It is not Steam's job to hold your hand, walk you to school, feed you lunch like a bird, help you go to the washroom, etc. You're not babies. Take responsibility for your actions. Read the trading FAQ and Trading Policies.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
smnc4skyrim

@Satoru that was just something i put out instead of a making games purchased and placed into a new users inventory untradeable to all steam users (something that punishes all users not just the purchaser).
new users could still gift and send to email but not use the trade window (like trade baned users) so i don't see the point in your post but i'm thankful for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Gifting IS NOT TRADING and thus isn't relevant.
??wait what??? thats NOT what i'm talking about.

ok let my state this a new way GAMES PURCHASED BY NEW USERS SHOULD BE TRADEABLE!!!

Last edited by smnc4skyrim: 04-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Satoru

Ok I'm getting more about what you're saying now.

The thing is what you're asking is pretty much what happens effectively. ACCOUNTS cannot trade games for 30 days when initially created. But the way to disable this is to purchase something on Steam or activate a cd-key which disables the account lock. You can receive stuff fine, but you cannot trade anything until you activate. I recall I got a gift game on my brother's account which doesn't have much of anything on it from the xmas thing. It was trade locked. But I just activated an extra cd-key I had and it became tradeable. Thus it's really the account that is trade banned not the games.

Really the only way it would work is if you absolutely disabled trading for 30 days. But again this punishes regular users. Scammers right now just use 1 cent indie bundle games to 'blip' an account live. Though this is harder now with HIB doing a $1 minimum, and I think the only other bundle that allows 1 cent payments is Indie Gala. It's very difficult to come up with a trade ban window that doesn't punish regular users but somehow keeps scammers out.

Last edited by Satoru: 04-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
smnc4skyrim

but i'm not talking about accounts i'm talking about things like untradeable dota2's since some people make new account to get the 2 gifts that are then untradeable. a scammer gets one of these gifts and convinces another party to go 1st then loggs off but this can be done with other game.
there was alot of this during the gift giveaway with all the untradeable prizes.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Satoru

Quote:
but i'm not talking about accounts i'm talking about things like untradeable dota2's since some people make new account to get the 2 gifts that are then untradeable. a scammer gets one of these gifts and convinces another party to go 1st then loggs off but this can be done with other game.
there was alot of this during the gift giveaway with all the untradeable prizes.
But that kind of scenario go back to my original point? If you cannot trade it then why are you doing it? If it doesn't fit in a single trade window then DO NOT DO IT. This scenario still seems to fit into my original point, and is not even solved by your scenario.

Again how does this 'scam' work as you have to click literally 5 buttons to validate a trade, thus 'logging off' doesn't work.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
ChrisW

Most people with new accounts are not new users. They are existing users that just created a new account to be used to scam people. You should never try to trade with someone that recently created a new account. In fact, you should never trade with someone that has had their account for less than a year and does not have lots of games registered to their account.

And no, people that create lots of new accounts in order to get as many beta keys as they can should not be rewarded with the ability to profit.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Why are people trading gifts? After all they are gifts. I gave my gift copies away to people here on the forums for games such has Dota2.

As mentioned above. If it does not work in the trade window don't make the trade. And new accounts should wait 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Most people with new accounts are not new users. They are existing users that just created a new account to be used to scam people. You should never try to trade with someone that recently created a new account. In fact, you should never trade with someone that has had their account for less than a year and does not have lots of games registered to their account.

And no, people that create lots of new accounts in order to get as many beta keys as they can should not be rewarded with the ability to profit.
I agree.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips