Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead

Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
ShootDaWitch

Question 1st or 2nd?

So I just wanted to see opinions on which L4D game I should get.I know you can basically play both games on the second by buying DLC(I think)but I won't be getting any microsoft points anytime soon.So,which would you say is better?The original Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
RainingMetal

Just get both. Though you don't need to buy any of the DLCs Valve has to offer on the PC version, you can never consider yourself to have played the first game's content by playing the ports on Left 4 Dead 2.
RainingMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
Sarevok08

For me, 1 felt like it was trying to be more realistic. The second seemed to be less serious (despite the increased gore) and more playful.
Sarevok08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
synthemesc

The 2nd has all of the originals content(except for one survival map which can be downloaded online). The basic "l4d1" experience (hunter/smoker/boomer/tank/witch only) can be had in l4d2 using the mutation mod.

There really is not much of a point in getting l4d1 now unless its super cheap or you have money you're itching to get rid of.
synthemesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
NabsterHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthemesc View Post
The 2nd has all of the originals content(except for one survival map which can be downloaded online). The basic "l4d1" experience (hunter/smoker/boomer/tank/witch only) can be had in l4d2 using the mutation mod.

There really is not much of a point in getting l4d1 now unless its super cheap or you have money you're itching to get rid of.
I feel this post gives incorrect information.

The two games are very different when played further than "at a glance". The basic l4d1 experience cannot be achieved in l4d2 using any number of mutation mods.

Overall, it would be really hard to tell which game you would prefer before buying. L4D2 has more content, but a lot of people (not necessarily MAJORITY) prefer the first game for a lot of different reasons.

I can't comment on things like community sizes and quality because I don't play on the 360.

If possible, pick up both in a bundle deal.
NabsterHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
synthemesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NabsterHax View Post
I feel this post gives incorrect information.

The two games are very different when played further than "at a glance". The basic l4d1 experience cannot be achieved in l4d2 using any number of mutation mods.
I have no doubt that you truly believe that. For a new player of the series, the differences would be barely noticeable, if at all.

Regardless, both games are worth the price.
synthemesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
MAKROZON

I refuse to accept Left 4 Dead 2 characters. There are only the L4D 1 characters.
MAKROZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Caslon

I'll state it again, L4D2 was ruined by the devs listening to what the public wanted. That ruins a sequel 90% of the time. $$$$$$$$$
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
RainingMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'll state it again, L4D2 was ruined by the devs listening to what the public wanted. That ruins a sequel 90% of the time. $$$$$$$$$
Correction: L4D2 was ruined by the devs listening to what the backstabbers wanted. They didn't listen to the game's truest fans.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
XerX

Both games are uber cool.
XerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
CimaJackal

What backstabbers
CimaJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
RainingMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CimaJackal View Post
What backstabbers
The backstabbers who "Moved onto Left 4 Dead 2" once their game's Survivors were ported to the sequel. They should have protested to keep Left 4 Dead 1 alive.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Threesixtyci

Sounds like you plan on buying this for the Xbox. In which case, L4D1's DLC is still not available for the Xbox. But, overall you're better off getting L4D2, I kinda doubt that L4D is as active on the Xbox, if at all.

Main difference between the two is that L4D2 has the Spitter, Charger, Jockey, female boomer, Walking Witches, and map specific common infected. Has more guns. Has defibrillators, adrenaline shots, special ammo effects, laser sights, bile bombs and melee weapons. It has Realism Mode, Bi-Weekly official mod settings, Scavenger Mode, and maps are still being fixed. Gun Butts have a cool down timer

L4D2 has no legs, Tanks doesn't run faster when on fire. Tanks don't beat you to death when another survivor is near by. Static guns are crappier than the Chain Gun of L4D1. When downed, Friendly Fire is automatically turned off for the downed player. Shotguns have no cocking delay when you empty it out and put in a single shell to fire it. Currently has 7 official campaigns and soon to have 6 more (for the xbox, already on the PC).

------------

L4D1's Tanks run faster when on Fire. Tanks will Pound you to death when survivors are near by (has a chance of leaving the downed survivor if another survivor gun butts it.). Friendly Fire is always on. Shotguns must be re-cocked if you empty it out (as long as you reload while a shell is still in the barrel you never get the added delay/animation. L4D2 does the recock animation every reload, but is interruptable whenever you fire it.)

Maps have glitch spots in them that are repaired in L4D2. Valve doesn't care about L4D1. Only has 6 official campaigns to play with no chance of it being increased. Gun Butting has no cool down timer in Co-op, but has it in Versus.

Last edited by Threesixtyci: 04-30-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Threesixtyci is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead