Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #16
Knuckledustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznbkd19 View Post
Yay! Review time!

So the first thing I noticed was your use of DR. One thing was your decloak spots were often in very dangerous areas. What I recommend is to never head toward your enemy directly with DR decloaks and then go to a corner but to only sight them. That is to say that DR decloaks are delicate, and should be used in areas hidden from the enemy, but at the same time, can give you the benefit of looking at how they move. Not all the time this is possible, but knowledge is key when playing spy effectively.

Okay, for this match in general especially if you don't find shortcuts or alternate routes to your fancy or aren't thinking about it, the IW would have benefited a whole lot more.

An example would be how every time you died with DR, it was because of a Pyro who was running the same direction as you. I can scope out a few areas that may have been better to get behind you enemy, but I think you could sort that out yourself just by looking at the vid.

Then onto your choice of picks. I did like how you were aggressive enough to take the meds and shoot them down, but a great amount of that was wholly unnecessary. I could tell by the ignorance of the pyros that the team you were playing against were average at best. This is something you must decide as spy. Remember that scoping your opponent gives you a much better direction on how to handle them then anything else. Always assume your opponents are good until the benefit of the doubt.

In that case, they showed some competence but not that much, so although I could see you were behaving toward that, if you were to actually pick your moves correctly in accordance to their movement across the map, picks would have happened much more smoothly. You didn't need any unorthodoxy there as far as I'm concerned. Spies main issues are based on how you think before you get into something. You did good for their level, but would have done better if you were aggressive while they were distracted.

Remember, spies are supposed to not play fair. That's why they got gadgets. If you need to shoot go ahead, but if you can find them fighting with your own team, it will be infinitely better for you to do what you need. Just wait until they get to the inner house on Foundry, that's normally the best place to catch them off guard, or just when they are about to enter your/their next point .
You bring up many good points. It's funny you should mention my DR decloaks, as I just started using it (by that, I mean like a week or two.) Even when it first came, I stuck to the IW, so I will say that I'm inexperienced with it. I tried to decloak near people I knew were deaf, though sometimes I messed up and didn't have the option. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to use them next time I'm on.
Knuckledustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Aznbkd19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledustee View Post
You bring up many good points. It's funny you should mention my DR decloaks, as I just started using it (by that, I mean like a week or two.) Even when it first came, I stuck to the IW, so I will say that I'm inexperienced with it. I tried to decloak near people I knew were deaf, though sometimes I messed up and didn't have the option. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to use them next time I'm on.
Your welcome .

I would love to see another demo from you again, always looking to see more plays.
Aznbkd19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
DualJay

You're quite good. But don't spam quite so much with the revolver, except at point blank.
DualJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
Ready_Set_Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualJay View Post
You're quite good. But don't spam quite so much with the revolver, except at point blank.
This is incorrect, it is your primary weapon and should be treated as such.

I loved the revolver play in the video because I see too many Spies running around shanking people in the face over and over, then getting oneshotted by a half-decent Sniper or a Demoman/Soldier that doesn't suck at aiming.

Although, admittedly, you could go for some more backstabs, just don't replace the revolver with backstabs, add them in.

EDIT: And the reason the video is laggy is (probably) because it's the free version of bandycam and it's slowing it down some.

Last edited by Ready_Set_Chaos: 04-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Ready_Set_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
The Elite Gir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledustee View Post
You..know who I am? Well, yeah. That's me. I know I do kind of bad in the video, because I'm a kind of shy person and I have this sort of "problem" where if I'm recording or being recorded, and I know it, I do WAAAYYY worse than if I'm not. It's terrible... It's also an old demo, too. Just one I randomly found as well. I'm surprised I was actually....remembered by anyone.

Due to my issues with shyness, if it can be called that, I'm typically much better as any class. This fear has also prevented me from going to TF2 Lobby and the like.

This may be an odd question, but how well do you think I performed in the match you saw me in? I always consider myself as a bad player.
I have the same problem.

One day, I started dominating in TF2 in general, but when I opened up FRAPS, the magic was lost.

But really? Because the Erion I met was VERY skilled, was wearing an Unusual, and was accompanying another skilled Spy who was acting by naming himself supa1337killacapacop and wearing a gibus. I think it was the one named Erion who managed to trickstab me and I spent the rest of the day jokingly trashtalking and getting dominated.

I was under the same name.

Last edited by The Elite Gir: 04-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.
The Elite Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Knuckledustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elite Gir View Post
I have the same problem.

One day, I started dominating in TF2 in general, but when I opened up FRAPS, the magic was lost.

But really? Because the Erion I met was VERY skilled, was wearing an Unusual, and was accompanying another skilled Spy who was acting by naming himself supa1337killacapacop and wearing a gibus. I think it was the one named Erion who managed to trickstab me and I spent the rest of the day jokingly trashtalking and getting dominated.

I was under the same name.
Must be someone else if he had an unusual. I don't have one (because I'm not a fan of them). As far as I knew, I was the only one named that, but I guess I'm not. I don't "partner" up with anyone aside from my brother, who plays Scout (unless you mean working as a team in the game, in which case I do so all the time.)

However, I do recall having some joke trashtalking going on, but I doubt it was me if he was that skilled. As for the servers I go to, I regularly go to Foundry 24/7 servers, and I have a few I go to.

EDIT: Yeah, there are many other Erions actually, so I highly doubt it was me.

Last edited by Knuckledustee: 04-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Knuckledustee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy