Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Legend of Grimrock

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
S_Jake

Well, I was in agreement with the TC on this until I read on this thread that there is a second fire sword (I obviously missed it when I went through the game).
S_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
lilaznkilla

The only time I could see you getting stuck is throwing the sword over the pit. Dropping it doesn't mean its gone so you can just backtrack and look for it where you dropped it.
lilaznkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
RognarB

Oh noes! The game hasn't rewarded you for playing like an idiot. Poor little man . Here, have some effortless achievement to compensate your lack of judgement.

This happens when you're playing well designed games, players shouldn't be acting stupid and still get the loot. Just load a earlier save and use you wits, if you have some.
RognarB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Tamath

Wow, way to be über-hostile against a guy posting an opinion on the forum. You're absolutely free to disagree with him, but all the insults against his intelligence just reek of the elitism that tends to come with the territory of playing an "old-school" game.

Even now I am sure that without any knowledge of how long I've played games or what games I've played people will now be making negative assumptions about me because I'm defending the OP. Lighten up.
Tamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
Nova225

I'd only agree with the TC if getting through that area was required to proceed. However, since it is optional, There's no reason to get in a tizzy about it.
Nova225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Starglazer

What bothered me with that part was "Mages entrance". Now going with all points on Earth is not "magely" enough
Of course one can use the sword but i don't think that it is wizardry either
Starglazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
guthan333911

Same thing happened to me. I thought I could use Fire Bombs instead, but nope lol. Wasted 5 throwing them in vein at the statue hoping it would work.

You don't have to go in there, either. I never did and I beat the game.
guthan333911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
sandjack

While I respect the fact that this is phrased as an opinion, I just wanted to offer the alternative opinion that this is, in fact, REALLY good design for the following reasons.

1) Getting through this puzzle is not critical path. It is entirely possible to continue in the game without ever getting to the other side of this pit.

2) The fire sword is, indeed, in the next room right next to the scroll of fireball, the other option for getting across the pit, offering a decent, though by no means foolproof, clue that it could help.

3) There is another fire sword later in the game. Admittedly, it is itself no cakewalk to get and requires you either recognize the fire sword by sight or save and reload the room it's in to get the room with the right prize.

4) This is by no means the hardest / least intuitive of the non-critical path puzzles in the game.

Now, having said that, I can see what rubs some people the wrong way. It is, for one, one of a very very few puzzles in the game that it is possible to lock yourself out of being able to complete without significant effort (e.g. throwing a key that opens a pit across said pit).
sandjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjack View Post
Now, having said that, I can see what rubs some people the wrong way. It is, for one, one of a very very few puzzles in the game that it is possible to lock yourself out of being able to complete without significant effort (e.g. throwing a key that opens a pit across said pit).
In fact you could throw everything over the pit and then you would be stumped. No you actually wouldn't unless you had no mage in your group at all.
If you throw the blade and all keys over the pit all you can do is level up your mage. And in fact this level has respawning snails and skeletons so you can actually do that if you are stupid enough to throw all your keys over the pit.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
shadowanti

This happens a bit in this game. Save a lot :\
shadowanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #26
Muraz

It was a poor puzzle anyway ... there's really not any clue that, if you're not a fire-mage (which I wasn't), suggests that you need to cast fireball down that corridor. It said "mage's entrance", so I tried chucking a spell down there, and nothing happened. How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to use a spell I didn't have the ability to cast?

But that's just my rant.
Muraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
Lowlightt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muraz View Post
It was a poor puzzle anyway ... there's really not any clue that, if you're not a fire-mage (which I wasn't), suggests that you need to cast fireball down that corridor. It said "mage's entrance", so I tried chucking a spell down there, and nothing happened. How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to use a spell I didn't have the ability to cast?

But that's just my rant.
Really? I thought the fact that it shot fireballs at you was a huge clue.
Lowlightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #28
Sleepy Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotrrwinner View Post
I did drop it but how the hell was I supposed to know it was gonna be needed for a puzzle? Or what if I had used all the charges? Yes, this part I'm talking about is not required to finish the game but it's still bad design
You come across the fire puzzle *before* you find the fire sword and the fire sword is very close to the fire puzzle. Its pretty obvious its intended to be used there but you didn't put 2 and 2 together and dropped the sword - enough said.
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #29
Sorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazMan777 View Post
Spoiler:
Man, you're gonna be SO upset when you get to the final levels and you don't have an item from Level 2.
What item would that be?

And as tedious as it may be, can't you backtrack to where you dropped the item and retrieve it? AFAIK, it'll stay right where you dropped it, right?
Sorites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #30
Baphamut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorites View Post
What item would that be?

And as tedious as it may be, can't you backtrack to where you dropped the item and retrieve it? AFAIK, it'll stay right where you dropped it, right?

made from the dead, a guillotined man doesn't need it...
Baphamut is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Legend of Grimrock