Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic Generations

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Traci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProwerPlays View Post
I played through the entire game and did some pretty good speed runs with a mouse and keyboard, do you see me whining about the 360 control hints? No.

I turned them off the second I got in the options screen, regardless if I use a controller or not, I don't like it when a game holds my hand with pressing buttons, so it was a win-win situation for me.

These type of games ARE though made for gamepads, analog movement is WAY more accurate than good ol' WASD, even a PC Elitist should know that. They can't improve the control of a keyboard on a game like this, and they shouldn't be held responsible.

Okay, while it is unfair NOT to have any control hints for PC controls, it is understandable that they can't have an icon for every single option, seeing as it is remappable, honestly control hints aren't even necessary, just like Omochao.
Considering I was speaking about the controls and NOT the hints... and I am unable to remap them I tried.
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Arimanthos13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci View Post
Considering I was speaking about the controls and NOT the hints... and I am unable to remap them I tried.
You remap them from when you first launch game and chose "config" The remaping is pretty straight forward and simple.
Arimanthos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
ríomhaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProwerPlays View Post
Okay, while it is unfair NOT to have any control hints for PC controls, it is understandable that they can't have an icon for every single option, seeing as it is remappable, honestly control hints aren't even necessary, just like Omochao.
While understandable boring (though not that difficult, surely?) to make an icon for every possible keyboard key they could have changed it to "jump", "slide", "special", "drift, "boost, etc. icons instead of Xbox 360 buttons.
ríomhaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
I'm 100% curious to WHY this "PC" games controls are aimed at people WITH xbox 360 remote controls. A lot of people prefer to play with mouse and keyboard and do not wish to switch to a controller and now have to deal with your crappy keyboard controls which cannot be changed, I was looking forward to this game and now it's such a big regret I tbh wouldn't have cared if you had given an option to map the keys but all you thought about was people with a 360 controller? why make a PC game if you wanted it basically controller only lol stick to console please...
Cuz a gaming PC is going to have a controller. Without one it's less capable of playing games. You know the keyboard at your computer is a decedent of the mechanical keyboard. The mouse was added to make up for the lack of the keyboard's functionality in a graphical environmental. Neither was ever designed with games with mind.

Buy a 360 controller.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
ezodagrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
Cuz a gaming PC is going to have a controller. Without one it's less capable of playing games. You know the keyboard at your computer is a decedent of the mechanical keyboard. The mouse was added to make up for the lack of the keyboard's functionality in a graphical environmental. Neither was ever designed with games with mind.

Buy a 360 controller.
Keyboard and mouse works alot better than controllers for some games though, like first person shooters or strategy games.
For a game like Sonic Generations, a controller is definitely the best option.
ezodagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
Earthworm James

If you play a platform with mouse+keyb you're about as wrong as someone playing a rts with a gamepad
Earthworm James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
Mimonome

This game was too hard for me to play on keyboard. Treat this game like a sports game such as FIFA or NBA2K. Those games are too difficult to play with a keyboard.

Play Sonic Generations with gamepad for best results.
Mimonome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
rtor

You honestly want to play a platformer with a keyboard? Get with the times, seriously.

Quote:
why make a PC game if you wanted it basically controller only lol stick to console please...
1080p + 60 fps vs 720p + >30 fps. Sure, there's no difference at all...
rtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
µR¼

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

perhaps x360ce is an workaround, if you had a controller that wasn't supported before.

I was fortunate to have borrowed a xbox360 controller so I didn't have issues...

Last edited by µR¼: 04-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.
µR¼ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
Miraglyth

Funny thing is the 360 analogue stick in particular on a PC doesn't do full range (i.e. hold it even slightly diagonally and it won't input 100% of the nearest axis direction).

This can make certain parts of the game very difficult. And since the 360 d-pad is even worse for understanding the direction you want I eventually needed to switch to a keyboard to get an S rank on that one.
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
rumsey

It's very difficult to emulate an analog stick using the keyboard. That's probably why they didn't try that hard. It's too bad if you don't already own an XBox 360 controller though, it handles quite well.
rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
ríomhaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsey View Post
It's very difficult to emulate an analog stick using the keyboard.
If by difficult you mean impossible. You can't emulate an analogue input with a digital one. Best you can do is say have a button like shift as a modifier for run/walk.
ríomhaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
Miraglyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ríomhaire View Post
If by difficult you mean impossible.
Oh I don't know. Analog just measures 65535 strengths of two axis, right? You could individualise those by having 16 keys (or 15 plus direction if using 32767 as neutral) per axis dictate strength to the exact precision analog uses.

Sure you'd need a few friends and unbelievable co-ordination, but impossible?
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
nonplus++

Banned
Quote:
I'm 100% curious to WHY this "PC" games controls are aimed at people WITH xbox 360 remote controls. A lot of people prefer to play with mouse and keyboard and do not wish to switch to a controller and now have to deal with your crappy keyboard controls which cannot be changed, I was looking forward to this game and now it's such a big regret I tbh wouldn't have cared if you had given an option to map the keys but all you thought about was people with a 360 controller? why make a PC game if you wanted it basically controller only lol stick to console please...
I completely disagree it's an 'arcade game' and it needs a controller.
nonplus++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
Stevontoast

It's a port, that's why.
I used a 360 controller because Sonic has always been a console game.
Stevontoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic Generations