Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #121
Miirraa
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 7
I agree
Miirraa is offline  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #122
=HCFS=Discoman
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 12
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeephile2 View Post
But cant you see that achievements on PC are purely for your fun and not competition? On PC you have always so many ways to hack/cheat that you would NEVER know if person really got their achievement fair. Look at Skyrim, you can use cheats AND get achievements.

You want achievements that are showing to others what are you capable of? BUY XBOX360
+1
On Xbox, achievements give you the points which can be used to buy things.
On steam, achievements do nothing. In tf2 they give you untradeable items that you get via random drop anyways. In spiral knights one gives you an item in tf2 that again can't be traded.
Big whoop if someone uses SAM to get some virtual items that they then can't trade. These achievements are just for personal satisfaction. Sure, it would be less fulfilling to SAM them then to actually earn them....
But again, just glitches and secrets in the game can make some really easy, such as the one l4d2 survival map having an invisible ladder to an area the zombies can't really get to. Sure, watch out for smokers and spitters, but you are safe from the rest.
How is that fair compared to being on the ground and surviving, rather than finding a secret and winning that way?
If the achievements actually did something, then it would be a problem. But honestly, I can state my own experience: I have AVP 2010 on steam, none of the multi player achievements done. Rebellion has left that game, so there is no more multi player. It was usually horribly laggy, so when it was up, I could barely play. Now, I could use SAM to get the achievements that can no longer be had and earn the rest if the single player ones honestly, or earn the single player ones honestly and never get the multi player ones because it is now impossible.
Should someone honestly be totally screwed out of getting an achievement that has no value beyond personal because the game isn't supported? In such a case, there is no other way.
It's at that point like when people say something can be pirated because it has been out of production for years and will never be made again. Basically,you say that because the honest way is not possible, they shouldn't be allowed to see a 100% on that game.
I've got some great books that have been out of print and out of copyright for over 50 years that I was going to share, but I decided against it.

P.s. I don't actually like AVP 2010 enough to bother with achievements, honest or SAM'd.
=HCFS=Discoman is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #123
Donutter˛
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Reputation: 22
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by =HCFS=Discoman View Post
+1
On Xbox, achievements give you the points which can be used to buy things.
You couldn't be any more wrong even if you tried. Gamerscore on Xbox 360 means nothing just like all the other games.

Although certain games like Trials HD, Trials Evolution, Halo Reach do have avatar props + items that do unlock with certain ones.
Donutter˛ is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #124
TheTrueOutcast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 30
Posts: 113
Whats a Steam Achievement Manager?
TheTrueOutcast is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #125
Nightlock!
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 79
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutter˛ View Post
You couldn't be any more wrong even if you tried. Gamerscore on Xbox 360 means nothing just like all the other games.

Although certain games like Trials HD, Trials Evolution, Halo Reach do have avatar props + items that do unlock with certain ones.
This
gamerscore=/=MS points
Nightlock! is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #126
cylon
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 780
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeephile2 View Post
But cant you see that achievements on PC are purely for your fun and not competition? On PC you have always so many ways to hack/cheat that you would NEVER know if person really got their achievement fair. Look at Skyrim, you can use cheats AND get achievements.

You want achievements that are showing to others what are you capable of? BUY XBOX360
Was this thread not started when the summer camp (or winter sale) was on when through achivements in games you could win FREE GAMES and money off tokens and get an entry into prize draws?

In these circumstances they are NOT for fun, they are for material gain. No-one cares if Little Joe gets all the TF2 achivements normally, but when it's possibly reducing your chances of winning a prize, etc. That's when people start to take notice and get annoyed.
cylon is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #127
Kyle07
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 2
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRose View Post
I've reported somebody who did this today:
http://i.imgur.com/F4ojd.jpg
I can only hope Valve do something about it, but it's unlikely.
100% cheat. To get all achievements in BIT.TRIP RUNNER and Jamestown in onw day is for a newbie impossible! These are really hard games. I know that I will never get all achievements in one of those games.
Kyle07 is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #128
Genoard
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 60
+1 Valve, do something about S.A.M.
Genoard is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #129
Sandoooooo
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 22
Posts: 275
Valve isn't allowed to ban these people since there's no rule against that.

That's sucks though.
Sandoooooo is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #130
Captain Morti
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 457
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle07 View Post
100% cheat. To get all achievements in BIT.TRIP RUNNER and Jamestown in onw day is for a newbie impossible! These are really hard games. I know that I will never get all achievements in one of those games.
First, I agree that person on that screen cheated for sure. Second, keep in mind that you can play Jamestown and BITTRIPRUNNER without steam. This means you can practice without "getting" time on your steamaccount. Also in some games immedetaly unluck a steam achievement when youre starting them in steam the next time. Example: The game ARES. You can play it while steam is not running. You can unluck a bunch of achievements (the ingameachievements are the same as the steamachievements). Next time youll start ARES with steam, all already unlucked ingameachievements unlock at the same time in steam.
Captain Morti is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #131
Sparkletwinkle
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 83
Posts: 292
Doesn't affect me or how I play, so I don't care.
Sparkletwinkle is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #132
Kyle07
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 2
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morti View Post
First, I agree that person on that screen cheated for sure. Second, keep in mind that you can play Jamestown and BITTRIPRUNNER without steam. This means you can practice without "getting" time on your steamaccount. Also in some games immedetaly unluck a steam achievement when youre starting them in steam the next time. Example: The game ARES. You can play it while steam is not running. You can unluck a bunch of achievements (the ingameachievements are the same as the steamachievements). Next time youll start ARES with steam, all already unlucked ingameachievements unlock at the same time in steam.
You are right, I had the same with "And Yet It Moves".
Kyle07 is offline  
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #133
head on
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 15
The only reason I was considering using this was for the tf2 item "The Black Rose" because the game is Blocked in Australia.
head on is offline  
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #134
jomarcenter
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 12
well in my view. i think it isn't very good since some achievement can get you free stuff, which it isn't very good for people who are trying to get a certain item and you just use something to get it with a click. so i think valve should ban the people who use such program.
jomarcenter is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #135
legobrick100
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 7
Talking

i use it, but only to relock my unlocked achievements. cuz its fun getting achievements, sadly, currently theres no more games i want, so no new achievemnts for me to get. so i use the manager to lock my achievements.
legobrick100 is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.