Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #61
OmegaDL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by halororor View Post
Then why make it sound like if someone doesn't buy it immediately, it's because they don't really want to buy it?

It works two ways. People are saying there's not enough incentive for them to tie their money down, then you complained that those complaining don't really want to buy the game.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Because there are actually people on these forums doing exactly this very thing. It's not a matter of the pre-order existing, but the fact they have no interest in the game at all. If you been here any extended period of time you know who these people are too.

You do know my initial comment wasn't directed at you, but if you want to single me out, I can play this game as well. I don't like making an argument of something as I find it to be a waste of time, I just figure I give you heads up before we decide to waste more forum space with this nonsense.

Basically your posts narrows down to, I don't see the point in buying Torchlight II now, but won't have a problem with it later.

Mine is, I may be able to only afford it now because I may not be able to later.

The pre-order isn't worth it to you, but lets not mince words. You said it yourself, You may be interested in this game, but it's not your highest priority, so then that simply means you don't care about the pre-order. This does not mean everyone else does not care as well.

It's all a matter of choice. People who want to pre-order the game can do so, those they don't want to, don't have to. It's that simple. Why complain about something if does not effect you. People spend their money how they want to.
OmegaDL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #62
Dazzled

Will be getting the game on release but I do not see any point in pre-ordering it. I'm sad that very few devs make worthwhile pre-order deals these days.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
OmegaDL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
Will be getting the game on release but I do not see any point in pre-ordering it. I'm sad that very few devs make worthwhile pre-order deals these days.
This pre-order mentality is mostly due to fault at Gamestop. The original intent of a pre-order was similar to the concept of layaway, putting money down on a product in advance or ahead of time to ensure the product is available when the time comes to pick it up.

Pre-order bonuses were created basically lock people into the purchase rather then being able to cancel later if they decide not to buy it. Just as with DLC pre-order codes and such, which people canceling the order usually are not supposed to get the code or other associated bonus.

Unfortunately people don't see it this way anymore and associate pre-ordering with getting extra goods the regular buyers won't get, instead of the intended purchasing in advance that a pre-order is supposed to be known for.

Oh well.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #64
Phatmillips

Typically, pre-ordering has always been done to guarantee sales and revenue for a developer and publisher. Back in the brick and mortar days, pre-orders would determine if the game was able to fund new expansions and later DLC. On the business standpoint, pre-ordering is very important to the life-cycle of development but on the consumer side I do understand the OPs point.
Phatmillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #65
halororor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDL50 View Post
You may be interested in this game, but it's not your highest priority, so then that simply means you don't care about the pre-order.
How does it mean I don't care about the pre-order? I care enough that I know I'm definitely going to preorder this, just not now, when pre-ordering can actually be detrimental to me.

Whether I pre-order now or a week before release, it doesn't matter, because I'm still not getting the game any sooner. There's no rush to pre-order. It has nothing to do with caring about the pre-order if you wait a while to do so.

I can use the money elsewhere, so why use it now when I can use it in two months' time? It's not like they're going to run out of copies or I'm going to miss out on anything by waiting.

Steam distributes an infinite amount of Torchlight 2 copies, and even if they run out of keys to distribute, they'll just get more. So, why should I rush to place my pre-order, and how does me not rushing somehow mean I don't care?
halororor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #66
OmegaDL50

I never said anything about you rushing to pre-order. Your quick to label me a hypocrite, but perhaps you should also not be so quick to put words into my mouth.

HOWEVER, I did say you weren't interested in pre-ordering the on the basis that there are other games you are more interested (that game that goes on sale for $25 that you are waiting for), hence why I said Torchlight II is not your highest priority, because you have other things you want first. Am I not wrong, Did you not say that you have other things you want to take care of prior to getting Torchlight II. That is what I was basically referring to.

Do you want me to rephrase my point for you. Okay I'll do you that favor.

You may be interested in this game, but it's not your highest priority, so then that simply means you don't care about the pre-order at this time.

There is that better? If your going to argue against my post, try to not pick one sentence to selectively read, instead of the entire post, which its intent was to make a cohesive point. This is beginning to become tiresome.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #67
Simian_

I would like lots of people to pre-order for the reasons I've previously given. If you have the cash to spare and you find that you feel the same, please do so. On the other hand, lots of people don't care about that stuff and to them it's just a question of whether the personal incentive is enough (bonuses), and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that!

OP asked for reasons to pre-order, and reasons were supplied. Is there really a need to take sides? You guys are too used to arguing. If someone feels or acts differently than others, it does not automatically mean that one person or group is wrong and it does not require dissing each other and trying to draw up arguments and counter-arguments.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #68
OmegaDL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simian_ View Post
I would like lots of people to pre-order for the reasons I've previously given. If you have the cash to spare and you find that you feel the same, please do so. On the other hand, lots of people don't care about that stuff and to them it's just a question of whether the personal incentive is enough (bonuses), and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that!

OP asked for reasons to pre-order, and reasons were supplied. Is there really a need to take sides? You guys are too used to arguing. If someone feels or acts differently than others, it does not automatically mean that one person or group is wrong and it does not require dissing each other and trying to draw up arguments and counter-arguments.
Agreed.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #69
Draymondc

I really do not understand what so many people are complaining about.

Pre-ordering the game does ensure that you have the game for the release, and steam servers do tend to get overloaded when many people are buying games on release day. Much like Serious Sam 3 holiday 2011.

Pre-ordering also helps the devs get income early, which helps them finish the game faster.

Some people also have the money now, and may not have it later on, and this ensures that they will be able to get their copy of the game.

20 Dollars for a new game that is going to be as much of or even more of a hit than TL1 was, is a steal. And for talking about pre-order bonuses, I would gladly introduce a friend to the game so that we could play together later on if he likes the series. Because I did pre-order and gifted a friend, we now have about 5 other people because he pre-ordered also, and sent it on, that are already planning on getting it and playing.
Draymondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #70
KubanitoS

The tread has it's point, however Torchlight was a very nice, and addictive Diablo clone, so it wasn't really a question to pre-order it for me.
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #71
WilderDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simian_ View Post

Listen to this human here, please....
WilderDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #72
Angus Kart

This has devolved into one of the most moronic threads I have ever read.

Frankly I could not care less and would prefer not to be subjected to discussions about the personal financial situations of various posters oin this forum.

Preorder it or not, nobody cares but Steam and Runic
Angus Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #73
Slymantra

I pre-ordered because I already know I'll buy the game when it's released. Like OmegaDL50, it helps me manage my money and not risk the game coming out on one of my short on cash weeks. I also think Runic is a good company and want to show my support.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people not pre-ordering though. If you have reservations about getting the game, it's probably a good thing you aren't being suckered into an impulse buy with some cheap reward. If Runic has to discount an already cheap product or spend extra money/time for freebies, it may not be much of an advantage for them if you buy it early either.
Slymantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #74
account2

It was already said before, but I wonder what people are "complaining" about, if you pre-order TL2, you get a free copy of TL1, THIS is the preorder bonus, you get a free copy regardless of whether you already own TL1 or not, and you can trade/sell that TL1 copy.

Don't preorder and you don't get the copy, simple as that ? If you sell the extra copy for 3 bucks, it's money you saved from the full 20 bucks.

I already bought the 4 pack and sold all the extra games away, I paid about 10 dollars for TL2, awesomely low price, THAT is the preorder bonus... lower price.
account2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #75
Dazzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDL50 View Post
This pre-order mentality is mostly due to fault at Gamestop. The original intent of a pre-order was similar to the concept of layaway, putting money down on a product in advance or ahead of time to ensure the product is available when the time comes to pick it up.
With digital distribution there are no physical shortages of products(don't mention TOR) so there is no reason to reserve your order in advance.

If businesses want people to give them money in advance they must make it more attractive.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series