Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Art & Sound Design

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Kojaktsl

Adding existing animations to another model

Let me make it clear, I am NOT a modeler. I am a programmer.

However, I need the animations from zombie/classic.mdl on humans/corpse1.mdl, and I have no idea how to accomplish this.

I learn quickly though, so if someone wanted to give me a step-by-step (open up the corpse model file, add this and this bone, weight it like so, compile it like this, etc) I could do it.

But, if some dear kind soul wanted to take a moment to do it and drop me the file, I would be forever in their debt.

Also, I could be an idiot, so if this is the wrong place for this thread, forgive me.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
SourceSkyBoxer

Smile

You are no-model-Maker, right?
It is very simple for you. You should learn with Blender 2.6x and SMD Tools 1.1.7 and you try for currect lessons and you can make sure than you export into smd files

Noob to Pro for Blender

And you shouldn't worry for modelling

I have been tried long time - It is possibly. You must learn alone and try again - try again - try again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaktsl View Post
Also, I could be an idiot, so if this is the wrong place for this thread, forgive me.
It is right - This is Thread for Source Art & Sound Design. I think sure Design like Models too Don't worry!

Best regards SourceSkyBoxer
SourceSkyBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Kojaktsl

I'm sorry mate, I didn't quite get much of that.

When I said I'm a programmer, not a modeler, it means that I'm not seeking to learn how to model; I am rather artistically challenged.

I'm working on a mod essentially by myself, so I've had to acquire a working knowledge of pretty much everything in Source, especially Hammer.

So while I'm not afraid of learning to model, I don't need a book on it XD

I just need to know how to rig up the corpse with existing animations.

Thanks,
Jack

ps: I have the free XSI modeling program, so getting a tutorial for Blender doesn't help much
Kojaktsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Kojaktsl

Update:

So I did a bit of digging, and read about importing models from CS:S into Deathmatch or Garry's Mod. One person described importing the model you want animations for, deleting the mesh, and importing the model you want over the top of it.

I decompiled the Zombie Classic reference SMD, and deleted the mesh, leaving the skeleton (I hope). I then imported the humans/corpse1 reference SMD over the top of the classic zombie's skeleton, and exported that as it's own reference SMD.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get stuidocomplier to work at all (I did a test with just the tantrum animation, and it says the model cache is missing a .WD reference, and the half life 2 model viewer refuses to load it), and I have no clue how to begin working with .QC files.

If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in my venture, by either compiling it, or just dropping me the correct QC file I need, I would be ever so pleased.

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
SourceSkyBoxer

Quote:
Update:

So I did a bit of digging, and read about importing models from CS:S into Deathmatch or Garry's Mod. One person described importing the model you want animations for, deleting the mesh, and importing the model you want over the top of it.

I decompiled the Zombie Classic reference SMD, and deleted the mesh, leaving the skeleton (I hope). I then imported the humans/corpse1 reference SMD over the top of the classic zombie's skeleton, and exported that as it's own reference SMD.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get stuidocomplier to work at all (I did a test with just the tantrum animation, and it says the model cache is missing a .WD reference, and the half life 2 model viewer refuses to load it), and I have no clue how to begin working with .QC files.

If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in my venture, by either compiling it, or just dropping me the correct QC file I need, I would be ever so pleased.

Thanks again,
Jack
If you decompiled model from your model ( by right Half-Life 1 Version right? )

Than you need export to obj file because same models are 2 different version of smd files by HL1-Model- and Source-Engine-Model-Format. I have been tried with HL SDK 2.3 Model with SMD Files, but it can not work convert to Source-Models - I am not sure. You should need special Model Editor like MilkShape 1.8.x than you can convert to Source-Engine.

If you need simple QC Help-Utilities, right?
Studio Compiler 0.4
Caution!
You shouldn't call button because StudioCompiler crashes always. You should copy from explorer's path like you have been installed Steam Directory and Source-sdk-Directory

Or simple via cmd used from here.

And you should learn - how do you know with Blender Modelling But it is very old version of Blender 2.49 - It doesn't happen. Just you know find new version with Blender-interface.

You should write currect qc structure
Code:
$modelname <Go-To-Path>/<name of model>.mdl <- Default name of model
$cdmaterials "models" <- ( Example: (hl2\materials\"model"
$scale <Number> <- If you want resize model
$surfaceprop metal <- Same important mass like weight with model
$staticprop <- model will convert to prop_static
$body mybody "<filename>.smd"
$sequence idle "<filename>" fps 1 <- Set currect reference of model....
I wish you happy modelling - PS: I am sorry i am deaf
SourceSkyBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Kojaktsl

Well actually, the models are all from Half Life 2. I'm just trying to get the "Humans/Corpse1.mdl" model to have the animations of "Zombie/Classic.mdl". That way I can simply replace the headcrab zombie with my new zombie and not have to worry about messing up all the code.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
episoder

if the human corpse doesn't have any boneweight infos you really need to open a modelling tool and let it generate the boneweights for the animation skeleton.

else you could really use any animation skeleton set that is close to the shape of the model and shrink it down (collapse bones) or just use the bones that are in there and/to rename them. fit to the boneweights and set the model really has and compile and animate it with that.

Last edited by episoder: 04-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
episoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Kojaktsl

Update:

So I did more digging and did it myself. I decompiled the corpse, decompiled the zombie, opened up the corpse in XSI and put the zombie's rig on top of it, and imported the weightmap onto the corpse mesh from the zombie. I then compiled it using a .qc file I made by combining both qc files (mainly just replacing models and lod bits).

The model compiled, and works in-game. The problem is, it won't walk. It just throws a tantrum. If you get close, it will attack with all it's animations, but it just won't walk. (It does it's idle animation if it hasn't found a target).

I then did a test by not messing with the model in XSI. I just compiled the corpse with the zombie's animations. That works eve better! The corpse's model doesn't deform at all under the new animations, so it works fine.

But, same problem. It won't walk. It just throws a continual tantrum.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jack
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Varsity

Walking speed is defined by the walking $sequence in the QC. What does yours look like?
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Kojaktsl

I can post the whole qc file if need be, it's just a combination of the corpse1 model's qc and the zombie_classic's qc

edit: this isn't the whole animation part of the qc, I just selected the part that refers to walking

Code:
$sequence Idle01 "Idle01" loop ACT_IDLE 1 fps 30.00
$animation a_WalkS "a_WalkS" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkSE "a_WalkSE" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkE "a_WalkE" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkNE "a_WalkNE" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_walk1 "a_walk1" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkNW "a_WalkNW" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkW "a_WalkW" loop fps 24.000000
$animation a_WalkSW "a_WalkSW" loop fps 24.000000
$sequence walk "a_WalkS" loop ACT_WALK 1 fps 24.00 {
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 5 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 15 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_LEFT 20 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 28 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 38 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_LEFT 40 }
  blendwidth 9
  blend move_yaw -180.000000 180.000000
 a_WalkSE a_WalkE a_WalkNE a_walk1 a_WalkNW a_WalkW a_WalkSW a_WalkS
}
$animation a_walk2 "a_walk2" loop fps 24.000000
$sequence walk2 "a_WalkS" loop ACT_WALK 1 fps 24.00 {
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 7 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_RIGHT 10 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 21 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 31 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_RIGHT 34 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 44 }
  blendwidth 9
 a_WalkSE a_WalkE a_WalkNE a_walk2 a_WalkNW a_WalkW a_WalkSW a_WalkS
}
$animation a_walk3 "a_walk3" loop fps 24.000000
$sequence walk3 "a_WalkS" loop ACT_WALK 1 fps 24.00 {
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 7 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 18 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_LEFT 21 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 32 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 40 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_SCUFF_LEFT 44 }
  blendwidth 9
 a_WalkSE a_WalkE a_WalkNE a_walk3 a_WalkNW a_WalkW a_WalkSW a_WalkS
}
$animation a_Walk4 "a_Walk4" loop fps 24.000000
$sequence walk4 "a_Walk4" loop ACT_WALK 1 fps 24.00 {
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 4 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 16 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 22 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 28 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 43 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 49 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_LEFT 58 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_STEP_RIGHT 67 }
}

$sequence FireWalk "FireWalk" loop ACT_WALK_ON_FIRE 1 fps 30.00
$sequence FireIdle "FireIdle" loop ACT_IDLE_ON_FIRE 1 fps 30.00
$sequence attackA "attackA" ACT_MELEE_ATTACK1 2 fps 30.00 {
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_ATTACK_SCREAM 5 }
  { event AE_ZOMBIE_ATTACK_RIGHT 25 }
}

Yup, just checked the model in the half-life model viewer. Sure enough, it has all the animations (some are a bit messed up), but the walking animations, and some of the attacking animations where the zombie stumbles forward a step or two, don't work. The ground underneath it is stationary.

Last edited by Kojaktsl: 04-29-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
CrAzYpotpie

$includemodel Will help you out here I am hoping. Sometimes Animations break through the decompiling/recompiling process, and puting $includemodel at the top with the name of the model you originally took the animations from (zombie?)

So
$includemodel "zombie.mdl" (thats assuming the default Zombie model is in the base of your models folder)

Doing this seems to combine whatever your custom models includes with the animations and sequences of Valves offical NPC's.

My custom headcrab wouldn't move an inch until I included what I based it off of, $includemodel "hfast.mdl".

Also, I forget if you are suppose to delete all of the "Sequence" information you see in the QC file when you add this or not... Guess I would try both ways if it doesn't work without removing them.
CrAzYpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Kojaktsl

@CrAzYpotpie

I owe you a beer. $includemodel worked, I just needed to copy over the original zombie model into the same folder, rename it, and "$includemodel "Zombie/ClassicOriginal.mdl" "

It all works exactly the way it should.

Thank you so much.

edit: the $includemodel wiki page says it just disregards name conflicts with animations, but the model crashed the game until I removed them (could also be I just forgot to recompile the qc with the renamed 'classicoriginal' name). So you are probably also right about that too.

Last edited by Kojaktsl: 04-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Varsity

Quote:
I can post the whole qc file if need be, it's just a combination of the corpse1 model's qc and the zombie_classic's qc

edit: this isn't the whole animation part of the qc, I just selected the part that refers to walking

Yup, just checked the model in the half-life model viewer. Sure enough, it has all the animations (some are a bit messed up), but the walking animations, and some of the attacking animations where the zombie stumbles forward a step or two, don't work. The ground underneath it is stationary.
As I suspected. The model decompiler hasn't included the walkframe commands. You'll need to add them back in yourself.

Here's what I did in a QC I made a while ago:

Code:
$animation move_NW "move_NW.smd" loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX LY
$animation move_N  "move_N.smd"  loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX
$animation move_NE "move_NE.smd" loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX LY
$animation move_E  "move_E.smd"  loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LY
$animation move_SE "move_SE.smd" loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX LY
$animation move_S  "move_S.smd"  loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX
$animation move_SW "move_SW.smd" loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LX LY
$animation move_W  "move_W.smd"  loop fps 30  walkframe 20 LY
$animation move_C "move_centre.smd" loop fps 30

$sequence walk {
	move_SW move_S move_SE
	move_W  move_C move_E
	move_NW move_N move_NE

blendwidth 3
	blend move_y -1 1
	blend move_x -1 1

activity ACT_MP_RUN 1
	activity ACT_IDLE 1

addlayer look
}
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
jnomanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
You are no-model-Maker, right?
It is very simple for you. You should learn with Blender 2.6x and SMD Tools 1.1.7 and you try for currect lessons and you can make sure than you export into smd files

Noob to Pro for Blender

And you shouldn't worry for modelling

I have been tried long time - It is possibly. You must learn alone and try again - try again - try again
It is right - This is Thread for Source Art & Sound Design. I think sure Design like Models too Don't worry!

Best regards SourceSkyBoxer
Walking speed is defined by the walking $sequence in the QC. What does yours look like?

Last edited by jnomanh: 05-22-2012 at 04:23 AM.
jnomanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
SkyNinja

The model decompiler doesn't work with movement animations. The motion of a model is produced by actual motion of the entire skeleton in the animations. However, the decompiler doesn't export this motion. You know how, in the model viewer, when looking at walking animations, the model doesn't actually change position, but with ground checked, the ground moves? Well, the decompiler doesn't do that. It just kinda acts like it's not actually moving. If you decompile these animations, you're gonna have to add the actual movement yourself. However, if you just want one model to have the animations of another model, and they have the same or similar bone structure, just use $include.
SkyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Art & Sound Design