Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Exclamation Steel Storm series WIKI

I have decided that Steel Storm 2 needs a small prequel, SS:BR users need new cool map pack and Steam is very cool about that. Therefore, I have begun working on a map pack for SS:BR! Some of the new ideas for the art workflow will be used in Steel Storm 2 if successfully implemented in the new DLC. We are hoping for your support on this one! (that will help Steel Storm 2 development immensely)

One the other note, a grand manual for Steel Storm series incarnate in the form of WIKI is up and running at http://www.steel-storm.com/mwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
_Emo_

It's nice to know that the map pack is in development. I look forward to it.
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Nifran

Good news as far as i'm concerned. Lets hope you get the support you need.
Nifran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
I am actually trying to include massive update as far as engine renderer (should cut polycount in half in SS:BR and still have the same look, for performance boost) and use visual style of SS2 for the DLC.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Wiki got an update: http://www.steel-storm.com/mwiki/ind...rking_title.29
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Stop teasing and give us the game

I seen your announcement go up in the group too for MAC players, if you need any PC beta testers for SS:BR2 you know where I am, hint hint
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
I have been doing some R&D on new approach to level design and the more unique look of the environments, which suppose to be more visually pleasing than stock SS:BR levels and while there are limitations on what can be done with, I think I accomplished what I have been looking for.

One map from the upcoming DLC pack will be released for free, so SS:BR users can play it and get a feel for what's coming. I am thinking to release the map as alpha and keep updating it as I progress with its development. Good idea / bad idea?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
necrodoom

Quote:
I have been doing some R&D on new approach to level design and the more unique look of the environments, which suppose to be more visually pleasing than stock SS:BR levels and while there are limitations on what can be done with, I think I accomplished what I have been looking for.

One map from the upcoming DLC pack will be released for free, so SS:BR users can play it and get a feel for what's coming. I am thinking to release the map as alpha and keep updating it as I progress with its development. Good idea / bad idea?
i agree, but make sure its a unique map, having a different gameplay. also will the DLC include new weapons/enemies/AI/fixes?
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
xX_Renegade_Xx

Sounds good, how many maps in the pack?
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrodoom View Post
i agree, but make sure its a unique map, having a different gameplay. also will the DLC include new weapons/enemies/AI/fixes?
Unique gameplay? Seriously? This is Steel Storm. No matter what I will do, it will always be Spawn Pad > Objectives > Exit Game
Any other game's mission pack brings new environments. That's all. No changes in gameplay.

I didn't know SS:BR needs fixes o_O The game will be 1 year old in May, if it needed some kind of fixes, I am sure you guys had plenty of time to report it

New weapons already came in Weapon Pack DLC. MIssion Pack DLC will have them too, and if you already have Weapon Pack DLC, you will get discount.

No new AI is coming.

As a matter of fact, since Weapon Pack DLC sold outright badly, the community never developed around the game, only 2-3 people ever made new missions, making new DLC already pretty risky. And since the programmer not really interested in adding anything to the code, I am taking it upon myself to deliver new DLC.

I just really would like you to understand what it takes to make any extra content and business perspective on it. If new DLC will go off successfully, maybe there is a place for Steel Storm 1.5 , as adding new AI and new things to the game makes it a new game of its own.

The DLC will have 4 maps, 1 free and 3 paid. But again, when I release new map and I see people don't care for it, it will be over, unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
_Emo_

Quote:
I am thinking to release the map as alpha and keep updating it as I progress with its development. Good idea / bad idea?
I would enjoy it as long as the map looks good and fun to play. Also it would add a new stimulus to play the game - you open Steam, see the update messages window - wow, a new update to already good map! Let's see what's changed! Wow, the map is now even better!

What would make me a little sad is if for example alpha v0.01 will have design style 1, but alpha v0.02 is totally redesigned and has design style 2, but I liked 1 more than 2.

Quote:
Unique gameplay? Seriously? This is Steel Storm. No matter what I will do, it will always be Spawn Pad > Objectives > Exit Game
You can still try to come up with original design decisions, new interesting never before seen battle situations.

Quote:
But again, when I release new map and I see people don't care for it, it will be over, unfortunately.
I'd feel sad if it will be over I'm seriously tuned to get it and play it.
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Emo_ View Post
I would enjoy it as long as the map looks good and fun to play. Also it would add a new stimulus to play the game - you open Steam, see the update messages window - wow, a new update to already good map! Let's see what's changed! Wow, the map is now even better!
That's the plan

Quote:
What would make me a little sad is if for example alpha v0.01 will have design style 1, but alpha v0.02 is totally redesigned and has design style 2, but I liked 1 more than 2.
No, it will be more like adding to the map as it's being developed, tuning gameplay on it. Maybe first build will simply give an idea of the looks, maybe something to kill there. And the following iterations will open more areas and such.

Quote:
You can still try to come up with original design decisions, new interesting never before seen battle situations.
I will do my best, certainly. I meant that any DLC for any game retains core gameplay. It add weapons or locations or some new models. In SS:BR case it will be locations.

Quote:
I'd feel sad if it will be over I'm seriously tuned to get it and play it.
It certainly won't be over over. Negative outcome will shift the priorities, as it happened with Tomes of Mephistopheles.

Again, this DLC is suppose to be logical connection, a la prequel, to Steel Storm 2. I also want to mess with some art techniques and decisions I would use in SS2. I would like to make this DLC tell the story, mix some exploration with combat.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution