Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
johnpeat

The Demo is pretty basic - as in it's a black screen and nothing else!

Yes, it's Paradox again, bringing you half-finished games they expect money for...

Normally I'd praise a developer for releasing a demo ahead of actual release, but with Paradox - who generally can't make their games work anywhere near release - a demo is more like a timebomb.

Apart from not being able to play it - I'm sort of expecting something to drop-off my PC - or explode - or something...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
AgingHobo

I'm happy, the game is running great on my PC.

Hopefully they can get it sorted for everyone else before release.
AgingHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
©λεєrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpeat View Post
Yes, it's Paradox again, bringing you half-finished games they expect money for...

Normally I'd praise a developer for releasing a demo ahead of actual release, but with Paradox - who generally can't make their games work anywhere near release - a demo is more like a timebomb.

Apart from not being able to play it - I'm sort of expecting something to drop-off my PC - or explode - or something...
The game haven't been released yet. The beta works perfectly fine. Just because the demo turned out buggy does not mean the main game is, don't jump to conclusions.
©λεєrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
johnpeat

After much hacking around I figured out the problem - it just takes EONS to actually load and start (about 2 minutes of blackscreen before you get the Paradox logo!!)

Once into the game I'd really have liked some sort of tutorial perhaps???

I realise Paradox just rip-off other games to cash-in on the fans of said games, but some of us haven't played Civ/MoM or anything like it and need SOME idea of what the we're supposed to do!!
johnpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
overread

Quote:
After much hacking around I figured out the problem - it just takes EONS to actually load and start (about 2 minutes of blackscreen before you get the Paradox logo!!)

Once into the game I'd really have liked some sort of tutorial perhaps???

I realise Paradox just rip-off other games to cash-in on the fans of said games, but some of us haven't played Civ/MoM or anything like it and need SOME idea of what the we're supposed to do!!
er you should be getting popup advice from the start of a new game. Not a full tutorial but enough if you've ever played a turn based game before. If not hunt around and see if a manual has been released for it or watch/read some guides/reviews to it to get a feel.

As for the loading times its pretty fast for me without problems. Though did have it crash when zonealarm did its check (but fixed after the first time and no further problems
overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
johnpeat

I get the (awful voiceovered) "this is your map and city" speech and then I'm left to get on with it.

Clicking some things tells you what they do - sort-of - but there's no coherent "so this is what the idea is" going on.

I guess they only intend to target people who already know how to play games like this - oh, and people who can stand the worst Sean Connery impersonation in the world!!
johnpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Orosian

Haters gonna hate.

Worked fine for me, and I figured it out without it holding my hand. Seemed intuitive, I've not played a game like this for years.
Orosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
overread

Quote:
I get the (awful voiceovered) "this is your map and city" speech and then I'm left to get on with it.

Clicking some things tells you what they do - sort-of - but there's no coherent "so this is what the idea is" going on.

I guess they only intend to target people who already know how to play games like this - oh, and people who can stand the worst Sean Connery impersonation in the world!!
To be fair the turn based strategy market is fairly small so, yes many developers do assume that you've played at least one turn based strategy game before.
Since you haven't I'd say look at the manual (though it appears one is not currently online for the demo) or head over to their forums/site for more details in the game. Or head to youtube and watch some "lets play" games or reviews - often they'll have good info on the game and how its played.

There is info out there - a tiny bit of research hunting and you can find it (and honestly when buying a new game or trying a demo - reading reviews, watching youtube videos, etc... are all what I'd consider pretty basic first steps to finding out what the game is all about).

Heck watch this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8
contains a good chunk of little details I missed (eg unit upgrades from buildings - spell combos) as well as giving a pretty good idea of the games features outside of just the demo.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
targetbsp

I think you're probably right there overread. I typically hate games these days without a tutorial so I can relate if johnpeat is unfamilar with TBS games.
I had played the 'sort of prequel' Elven Legacy for the combat and Civ for the City building and watched the 'WTF is' video you linked as well as in general being a TBS gamer so I didn't even notice.

It's a hell of a lot easier to get into than most Paradox strategy titles but yeah it could use a tutorial for those going in blind with little TBS experience.

Last edited by targetbsp: 04-30-2012 at 02:41 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
overread

By the way the Website for the game has the manual under download options - its very very short manual (I'd call ita quickstart guide honestly -- but then I recall manuals like the Starcraft and Homeworld ones - tomes of writing they were!)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane