Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Wertoret

DLC on release?

Has this game released outside of steam? or did they just take a part of the fnished game and plan on sell it for more profit?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
overread

The only DLC mentioned is the two additional hero classes and its more a pre-order perk than DLC. So if you pre-order now you get it for less; whilst I assume after release they'll sell it for more cost.

Normally this is a pain, but there IS a demo so you can trial the game and if you like it pre-order within the time limit to get the perk (heck just "pre order" the day before if you want).
overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
mriguy

I sometimes believe DLC is now a Paradox requirement. I hate this 'nickle and dime' stuff. It is ok in the F2P market but makes me question what direction they want to take the game in the future. So, here is another title which I will avoid paying full retail and wait for a sale simply because of their zero day DLC.
mriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
overread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
I sometimes believe DLC is now a Paradox requirement. I hate this 'nickle and dime' stuff. It is ok in the F2P market but makes me question what direction they want to take the game in the future. So, here is another title which I will avoid paying full retail and wait for a sale simply because of their zero day DLC.
Ahh but is it Zero day DLC or pre-order perks? The line between the two is very wavy.

That said the game, at present is totally singleplayer so any DLC content is purely for the user alone. You can easily buy the game after its released and not get this DLC.

IT does make me wonder if features like additional races will be DLC content. To me the game is £14.99 now - that's half the price (actually under with many games now being £35 new) of a normal game release and yet the only thing that seems to be missing is the multiplayer element.
The rest (at least from what the demo lets me at and what a few early reviews/videos have said) feels like a pretty solid finished title. So I'm not opposed them having possibly pushed an early release of a stable and finished base game and then boosting that with some DLC at a latter date (I hope they put multiplayer into a patch rather than DLC as paying for features could easily kill the title from bad publicity from such a stunt*).
New race and perk packs would be neat - addition of story scenarios and maybe a campaign would also be great features to see. Though I'd be happy just with scenarios and a released map editor.

* it killed Universe at War when Games for Windows Live was all about paid multiplayer - though slightly more extreme its a similar example.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
amirfoox

This is not a zero-day DLC. A zero-day DLC is something you have to pay extra for immediately upon release, like the stuff pulled at the Mass Effect 3 release, which luckily I didn't pay for. A zero-day DLC is outright stealing, in my opinion. A daylight robbery. A money grab. Either way you name it, it is the lowest of the low in this industry.

In this game's case, this is just an incentive to pre-order, they don't charge you extra for it. True, it's a very obvious dangling carrot, but quite a harmless one.
amirfoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Kain201

Quote:
Originally Posted by overread View Post
*snip*
There was a recent live Stream with a Paradox employee, playing the game and answering questions. He said that a Multiplayer mode will be released for free, with an open Beta later this year (presumably autumn).
Kain201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Krantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
Normally, I agree with that. However, in this case I make an exception for 2 reasons:

1. The DLC in question is really just Pre-order bonuses that are immediately available to everyone at launch. You just get it free with a pre-order.

2. It's not a full priced title. $20 is, obviously, more than free, but is still a whole lot less than $50 (or $60 since more and more PC games are taking the console price).

I hate it when full priced games expect you to pay for additional content at launch. If I'm already paying $60 for a game, I shouldn't have to pay an additional $10 just for "the complete experience." However, for a $20 new release, and all I need to do to get the content free is pre-order when I plan to buy it anyway? Yeah, I'm ok with that.
Krantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Sifer2

Always something to whine about eh? If they had just made this a pre-order exclusive you wouldn't be mad? Since that sounds like all it is just it will be on sale immediately if you don't pre-purchase. Honestly DLC is kind of expected anyway for a game that launches at 20 dollars. They will probably will release additional Mages/Units over time. If it bothers you so much wait for a sale but then you waiting months to save 10 dollars or so.
Sifer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
targetbsp

The only people still posting in this thread are pointing out that there isn't any zero day DLC. As everyone now knows this, the thread is fairly pointless with people just agreeing with each other surely?
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
retrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
The only people still posting in this thread are pointing out that there isn't any zero day DLC. As everyone now knows this, the thread is fairly pointless with people just agreeing with each other surely?
Yes, I agree.
retrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Orosian

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrox View Post
Yes, I agree.
That's fairly pointless.

Let's go and play Warlock instead!
Orosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
overread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orosian View Post
That's fairly pointless.

Let's go and play Warlock instead!
But I did and it only lasted 50 turns - I Neeeeeeeeeeed more!!!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane