Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders

Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #16
Maxobiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softspokenman View Post
you cant really disable updates on steam for this game
I play this with friends, never alone. If my version is different, I'm condamned to play alone
Maxobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Alshain

I appreciate the updates, but Suddenlink has started capping bandwidth so I don't want so many updates so frequently. I'm going to start getting overage charges because I have a crappy cable provider and there is nothing I can do about that.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Armor_Biff

I like that they keep updating the game with new stuff and fixing bugs. Bandwith caps suck, so I understand those who have them. Even I have a cap, but I'm not worried about going over the limit, since its 250 GB per month.
Armor_Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Angus Kart

I appreciate the updates, but wish they could do it right the first 1 or 2 tries to eliminate the incessant re-patches to fix earlier patches.

The problem isnt the time but the bandwidth it eats up. Some people have seriously low caps., Its normally not a problem for me but Im pretty much at my 250GB monthly cap as well.

And I havent even downloaded that much this month. Too much Netflix I guess.
Angus Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
Nazarus

The most patched game in history!
But I think it's a good thing, even though I hate it downloading them all the time. They don't always download that quickly, but I hate bugs, so it's fine by me to be regularly patched
Nazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
oldbrokenlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Kart View Post
I appreciate the updates, but wish they could do it right the first 1 or 2 tries to eliminate the incessant re-patches to fix earlier patches.

The problem isnt the time but the bandwidth it eats up. Some people have seriously low caps., Its normally not a problem for me but Im pretty much at my 250GB monthly cap as well.

And I havent even downloaded that much this month. Too much Netflix I guess.
250 gb limit and your are worried about daily 300-400 mb updates!

400 mb x 31 days = 12,400 mb or a little over 12 gb which leaves you a lot of gb left for other stuff, like videos that you may be downloading or streaming

since bandwidth is dirt cheap and getting cheaper by the day most isp that have imposed caps have done so to limit things like netflix which completes against them.

instead of limiting progress, the best thing to do is let your isp / governing authority know you are not happy with the caps, switch isps, move to a different location where you have more options!

imagine if your electric company said you could only have 20 days per month of electricity or your water company did as well.

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 04-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
400 mb x 31 days = 12,400 mb or a little over 12 gb which leaves you a lot of gb left for other stuff, like videos that you may be downloading or streaming
Think about ppl on 30 gb a month and two ppl within the house hold play this game.
By your maths thats 24gb a month.

Easy for ppl to say change isp's i agree,but when there is only one isp in this town,it's not easy to change isp's.

Just saying some ppl have kids who play this game as well,so for them it's double or even triple the download.
That leaves us little room to do out else,thats not even counting the games on steam updating as well.

Last edited by T@F: 05-01-2012 at 01:54 AM.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
snipyro

Quote:
it's not clear whether more people want it the way it is vs some other way

trendy should look at how many people have uninstalled the game or have disabled automatic updates vs making us who are happy with things the way they are having to wait longer for fixes and new stuff!

i bet if they did look only a small number of members have uninstalled or disabled automatic updates and those that have do not play the game frequently or at all, hey maybe they bought a game they don't like all that much or they got bored with it or moved on for some reason.

i think a better question is how many active players want them to stop, i bet very few!

i'm for the more releases the better! sure they can improve the way they do upgrades my using something like patch or writing their own updater that updates only the things that have changed, but so can steam!
I play DD almost daily and I'd like the patches to be less frequent, and the game better balanced BEFORE the release of the patches.

I like the game and all, but to be honest I liked DD most before all the DLCs - and I'm not whining about prices cos I actually own them all. I just feel like it's getting into a massive grind and the forums are full of people that want the game to be as difficult as possible.

It's getting less and less enjoyable, and makes me unlikely to get any more DLC lol. Just personally though.

Last edited by snipyro: 05-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
snipyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #24
oldbrokenlink

time to think outside the box

if all you have is 30gb / month

i would move! you are being related to 2nd/3rd class citizen. you and your family will be left out. honestly, what is coming takes more and more bandwidth, if your isp is only looking out for it's tv business, it's time to find another isp, give hell to your local politicians that govern the isps or plain move to somewhere else.

another thing is to form a collective and work something else with local isp that offer bandwidth, i'm talking small commercial isp that you may not know of, if you are rural you may have to run some wire and install some equipment and it can be a bit expensive, but heck if you have the money you can get the bandwidth!

also buy a 2nd account, there is no reason other than not being able to afford it, not to have 2nd or nth account

also, try contacting your isp and buy a business account, it can cost a little bit more, but they often dont have the bandwidth limits or have higher limits or offer tiers you can buy

you can also bond multiple connections into a single connection, takes a little bit of googling, but people do it!

i've even done it, in the early days of internet i purchased for about $1k a card from my phone company that allowed me to bind multiple phone lines and yes i was able to get 128kbps when most people normally hit 16/33/56 kbps

sure i had to pay .02c per line per minute, but i could control how many lines were in used and i could buy time in chunk like $100 / month of time at a bigger discount

one isp allowed me to buy a years worth of time all at once at 75% off! not a bright idea if you isp is a nobody that may go out of business, but if it's a major provider it's a small risk to take.

you just have to call the business office, they are more likely to deal with you than the consumer price which is mostly once size fits all!

also, the business office is not interested in protecting tv subscriptions, they just want to sell internet and phone

so split the account, put tv and phone on one and internet on the other.

or better cancel phone, use the internet for that or cell phone and just have tv and business internet!

again start thinking outside the box, you will be left behind and you and your family will pay a high price for it as your delegated to 2nd/3rd class citizens!

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 05-01-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #25
T@F

All said an done,i'm waiting on bt and virgin to hit this town.
Maybe 1-2 years from now we will have other isp's,they cannot monopolize it for much longer.

When that day comes i will be jumping ship.
but until then i just have to grin and bare it.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #26
oldbrokenlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
All said an done,i'm waiting on bt and virgin to hit this town.
Maybe 1-2 years from now we will have other isp's,they cannot monopolize it for much longer.

When that day comes i will be jumping ship.
but until then i just have to grin and bare it.
do what i did to get local cable

get a group of people in your town to signup for it even before it arrives, it shows them there is a market. i was like the first one they provisioned which was great since no one was on for the longest, so i basically had 10m to myself when most people had 56kb!

honest start a petition, get as many people to sign it and put complete contact information and deliver that to bt/virgin.

if hundreds or thousands of people sign up the business side will find it hard to walk away from the money.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
T@F

Quote:
do what i did to get local cable

get a group of people in your town to signup for it even before it arrives, it shows them there is a market. i was like the first one they provisioned which was great since no one was on for the longest, so i basically had 10m to myself when most people had 56kb!

honest start a petition, get as many people to sign it and put complete contact information and deliver that to bt/virgin.

if hundreds or thousands of people sign up the business side will find it hard to walk away from the money.
It already going ahead for virgin and bt.
Just takes time to do the wiring and stuff so it seems,not sure what they mean by that though,as this isp rents the lines off bt,also Fibre Optic is getting put in as well so they could mean that.
(maybe its a contract thing that stops them coming to this town for now and needs to run out i'm not sure.)

The response i got was 1 to 2 years and they will be here from both isp's.

Last edited by T@F: 05-01-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
Piston Smashed

If there saying it takes time to do the wiring, i'd say that where you are wasn't done over 10 yrs ago when NTL had a contract to get fibre optic down around the country with in a certain time frame. It does take time but it's worth it in the end
Piston Smashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #29
Alshain

I love the people here suggesting you just sell your house (in a bad market no less) and move to fix a poor release schedule and buggy code for a game.

Tell me, if you have an ache in your wrist, do you cut your arm off?

That is the stupidest most ridiculous suggestion I have ever heard. The people suggesting this must be little kids. Here in the real world, we have jobs and responsibilities and cable company monopolies that we can't do much about. Before I sell my house and move, I will quit playing this video game and all video games. But I don't have to quit playing all video games, because this is the only one putting out huge updates every few hours.

Last edited by Alshain: 05-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
oldbrokenlink

you are right i wanted like a year for cable and years for fios

but both were well worth the wait

Alshain the post was not about internet for the sake of updating some video game,

it's about access to the internet which is like today's electricity or running water and sewers! without having proper bandwidth, speed, pricing, accessibility, you will be left out from the world that is being built around us and related to some 2nd/3rd world status and you and you family will miss out.

as you can see from google glasses and telepresence the applications are not all there yet, but as things move more and more onto the internet, the cloud. as devices become more interconnected and online you will need the internet more and more

so affordably, fast, without limits. ect else you will not be able to run the applications, have the services, ect.

for example i have relatively inexpensive, fast and affordable fios in my area. because of this i can watch hd movies and listen to radio from all over the world, not just what my cable decides to provide me, i can also make phone calls using my internet saving me from having a phone bill, i can monitor my home systems from my mobile, i can have a large collection of content that i purchase from sites such as steam, amazon, ect without needed something physically shipped to me so i save both on cost and shipping charges. i can invest in companies and in finanical products and monitor my investments. i can also work from home for the most part giving me a more flexible schedule than 9-5 at the office

and soon i will be able to view my medical records, also soon my car company will be able to monitor my automobile and how it's performance reducing the need for unnecessary maintenance, so instead of changing break pad every x mile, i will be able to change them only as needed. so i will save on cost and reduce my risk of an accident, ect.

and this is just the beginning, who knows what they will think up next!

so its not just about keeping a video game with the latest fixes.

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 05-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders