Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind

Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
phweemaggot

Exact consequences of death?

I haven't had a character die yet, so I'm unsure of what precisely I stand to lose. I know that the upgrades are all tied to the character, so those are gone. What about items in their inventory? I don't think I've yet unlocked a way to store items at a settlement, if such a thing exists. I assume my spells will all be at the same level?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Levi

I think you keep everything except for the upgrade's from your upgrade stone.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
paul1290

You lose the character as well as any upgrade stones you applied to that character.
You keep your inventory, enchants, and other stuff.

Also, when you die the character you lose turns into a vengeful ghosts which roams around the area you died in. If you return to the area you died in you'll have to fight the vengeful ghost in addition to whatever else is still there.
paul1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
phweemaggot

Awesome, thanks for clarifying.
phweemaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
NanostrikeX

The ghost can be a royal pain in the too. They fly through walls and shoot HUGELY damaging Miasma spells.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
egg187

Lose your guy(they are expendable), if you die in a storm area then you get a ghost that comes after you. Death is transient in the game. And I think they over-exaggerated on the constant dying. Played 30+ hours only got 3 dead beares
egg187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
NanostrikeX

Half the time if I don't get good characters, I'll kill them off so I can pick better ones...

The whole "You get a random selection every time you respawn" system wasn't very well thought out.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanostrikeX View Post
Half the time if I don't get good characters, I'll kill them off so I can pick better ones...

The whole "You get a random selection every time you respawn" system wasn't very well thought out.
I keep getting options to take guys with like 30 health. That probably wouldn't go well.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
setzway

I've actually had some really nice selections. For example, of 6 people to choose from 3 people had 100 mana, 150 hp but 150% damage, while the other three had something like 250 hp, 200 mana, but 80% damage. I mostly choose for comestics though, and if they auto start with a snowsuit.

Although one time I chose a girl who started with 80 hp, 300 mana and had 200% damage. I wanted to see if I could make her a glass cannon of sorts, little did I realize her stats gains. She would gain something like 127 hp per upgrade, 50 mana for mana upgrades and 3% for damage upgrades. I ended up getting 2 mana upgrades and dumped everything in hp. So she wound up having something like 700+ hp, 400 mana and 200% damage. I had such an easy time with her being able to blast everything to bits with a level 3 launch boulder and level 2 creeping death with -50% cooldown and 46% mana reduction cost. Great times, until I did one of those Anachronism missions and Creeping death bounced off a robot and hit an Esper that was supposed to be there and got killed by the damage reflection...

Though I agree, of the 6 times I've died playing so far, I have only gotten 1 guy that I liked and that was my intial character. I guess Marrisa Bardock would be a close second since I was pleasantly surprised at her hp gains.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post
I've actually had some really nice selections. For example, of 6 people to choose from 3 people had 100 mana, 150 hp but 150% damage, while the other three had something like 250 hp, 200 mana, but 80% damage. I mostly choose for comestics though, and if they auto start with a snowsuit.

Although one time I chose a girl who started with 80 hp, 300 mana and had 200% damage. I wanted to see if I could make her a glass cannon of sorts, little did I realize her stats gains. She would gain something like 127 hp per upgrade, 50 mana for mana upgrades and 3% for damage upgrades. I ended up getting 2 mana upgrades and dumped everything in hp. So she wound up having something like 700+ hp, 400 mana and 200% damage. I had such an easy time with her being able to blast everything to bits with a level 3 launch boulder and level 2 creeping death with -50% cooldown and 46% mana reduction cost. Great times, until I did one of those Anachronism missions and Creeping death bounced off a robot and hit an Esper that was supposed to be there and got killed by the damage reflection...

Though I agree, of the 6 times I've died playing so far, I have only gotten 1 guy that I liked and that was my intial character. I guess Marrisa Bardock would be a close second since I was pleasantly surprised at her hp gains.
I'm in the same boat.
I needed 400 mana for Creeping Death and all characters started with 150 - 250. I had to spend 7 upgrade points into mana so I could reach 410... Not fun
Before the patch it was easier to reach higher stats levels. Now you need to divide your points between stats to get the most out of them. That's my understanding of the new mechanic anyway.
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
ultranega

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post

Whoa whoa whoa. Assuming that changing the upgrade system hasn't changed what happened with that character, could you create a character that has high stats in one area, but low stats somewhere else as a tradeoff? Would that low stat have higher gains with each level than one that started out high?
ultranega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
setzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultranega View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Assuming that changing the upgrade system hasn't changed what happened with that character, could you create a character that has high stats in one area, but low stats somewhere else as a tradeoff? Would that low stat have higher gains with each level than one that started out high?
I think it depends... For example, that character I talked about. She had a really low HP stat intially, however when I went to upgrade her HP she had incredibly high HP gains. The gains stay the same for each upgrade, there were no diminishing returns, she always gain 100+ hp per upgrade.

Now, you can feasibly just dump all your upgrade points into one stat. I have been doing that lately, however it looks like each character has different gains. For example, Character A gets 50 HP per upgrade, his intial HP is 150. He also gains 50 Mana per mana upgrade, but he gains 20% damage per damage upgrade. Now, Character B starts at 200 HP. Unlike Character A, Character B gains 100 HP per upgrade, only 20 mana per mana upgrade and only 5% damage per damage upgrade.

From the 40 hours and 20 Characters I've played, it looks like stat gains are a crap shoot. You never know what you are going to get. Furthermore, characters that have horrible starting stats appear to have the highest potential stat gains. However, there are characters who start with horrible stats and have horrible gains. If you are lucky, you might find that "diamond in the rough" and choose a horrible intial stats character, only to have that character gain incredibly high stats per upgrade, like I did.

I wouldn't actively try to find characters with high gains, you'd probably sit there for awhile killing yourself just to get one character. In a game like this, who wants to spend 1+ hour killing themself just to get the character they want only to make a mistake and die. Instead I'd just pick a character that had stats I liked/wanted and went from there. You could always dump all your points into one stat, but I usually do what is the most efficient for my current character. I.E. if my guy is only going to get 2% damage per upgrade...I'm not gonna waste a point on that.

Also note: From what I've seen there are characters that already have "tradeoffs" going for them. For example, the girl character I describe in the other post. She had really low HP, stupidly low, but she had really high damage and mana stats as her base stats. I guess just try to experiment and see what works and just pay attention overall to stat gains and whatnot.

I hope this helps you out. Sorry for the long post, couldn't really explain it in a shorter manner.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
OmegaJasam

They added in diminishing returns a few updates ago. if your not seeing them then your not on the current version. (1.011 I think)

It also made the stats gain proportional. Low hp characters have less hp potential by a large margin now. But they also made it a tonne easier to upgrade (flat costs)
OmegaJasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
FAButzke

And now the game has a store in which you can buy upgrade stones (among other things)
Shards are used for money.
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind