Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
HL2Titanic

Question cornering techniques

I've always wondered about whats the best way to make 90 degree corners. Which method is best, are there any issues with a particular method.

I've been running into a "too much brush geometry" error on my map, despite being below the max brush count limit, and Im wondering if this will help.

See the screen captures below. The top example is how many of my corners are now. The middle example, using 45 degree faces, is how I think I would like to modify all my corners. The bottom example is another method.

I think the 45 degree seems best, but Im not sure how the engine treats it.

Note: I am nodrawing the faces that cant be seen by the player in hopes that will also help.

Opinions and suggestions welcome

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Punishment

I'm pretty sure that VBSP merges all brushes that share a common edge, (so I think) it will treat all three of those situations exactly the same.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Karlos_Modder

I find your second option to be the best. Eliminates another face with texture on it.
AFAIK if you look at your first example, even if you enable wireframe during the game it will show that one side of the corner is a single face i think its still two seperate faces in the bsp. Apply a differnt texture to the corner brush and see if wireframe mode still treats one side of the corner as a single face.
Karlos_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
HL2Titanic

I forgot about mat_wireframe. So I tested this using a sample map using only world brushes, I did the test twice. Once with different textures on each wall, and the other, with the same textures. The results in both tests were the same.

I used mat_wireframe 2 and highlighted the lines (vertices?) on the test walls.

It looks like example 2 - using 45 degree faces - would be best. Unless Im mis-interpreting the wireframe?

(PS: those lines are separating vertices right?)

Example 1 (see the first example on my original post): 24 vertices

Example 2 (see the second example on my original post): 18 vertices

Example 3 (see the third example on my original post): 20 (+4) vertices*

*Example 3's first wall wasnt next to another window wall so the wall only has 2 vertices whereas if it was next to a window wall it would have had 6, so that doesnt affect the test.
HL2Titanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
StreetStrider

The second one is the most efficient on my point. For now im using this method too. It has two advantages:
1. less actions when texturing corner sides (and more obvious)
2. less triangles in both sides

But there is also one small disadvantage:
1. When you want to resize one of the sides, the 45-degree will transgress.
But i know that even this is not a problem for VBSP (it do not cares), that is why it ignores "inner" surfaces. At output we will get only two perfect walls

But sometimes I remake such angles: I resize one of the walls, then chop ~45-angle from it, resize it again and create 45-angle.
StreetStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Punishment

If you use 45 degree angles as in StreetStrider's example, you can use the vertex tool to resize them as needed and avoid having the issue illustrated in the second image.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
HL2Titanic

Yea I always use the vert tool to resize these brushes.

Been modifying corners on my map for the last several days and nodrawing the faces that arent visible (actually no drawed the whole map and now retexturing) since i didnt have good textures on,and doing this allows me to find my corners easier (7600 brushes in the map) also allowed me to find many places where i had overlapping brushes.

About a third of the way done now, hopefully it pays off.
HL2Titanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design