Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
TheCrazyAsian

A Petition for the Equal Rights of PC and Mac

I am starting this thread to show Valve and Steam that we want a gaming experience that is equal to the ones of PC users. I don't like how Valve and Steam leave tons of glitches in the Mac version of games and Steam while the PC version is largely glitch free. Please try and get Valve's attention by signing the petition and bumping this and mailing Valve and telling them we want all this crap fixed, because I'm tired of spending 3 hours finding out how to import of TF2 spray!!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
maxton0600

I really don´t understand why you buy mac instead of win pc when you want to play games. However Valve made Mac versions of their games and so they should try to keep it without bugs so I support you.
maxton0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
mindmurderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyAsian View Post
I am starting this thread to show Valve and Steam that we want a gaming experience that is equal to the ones of PC users. I don't like how Valve and Steam leave tons of glitches in the Mac version of games and Steam while the PC version is largely glitch free. Please try and get Valve's attention by signing the petition and bumping this and mailing Valve and telling them we want all this crap fixed, because I'm tired of spending 3 hours finding out how to import of TF2 spray!!
is the DEV, PUB, fault Valve can only sell what they are given to sell for the most part except for their own first party games.... but this is what to expect when you buy a MAC, they where only gaming computers for elementary students wanting to play Oregon Trail, or Carmen Sandeigo.
mindmurderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
liquidMountain

Porting to Mac takes time. Valve is trying their hardest. I hope. In the meantime, download PlayOnMac
liquidMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
teereks

Banned
why buy mac then?
teereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by teereks View Post
why buy mac then?
cuz mac rocks, you all dumb butts
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyAsian View Post
Are you looking for better ports of Valve games, or all games? I could definitely be behind pushing Valve to improve their own ports, which are pretty weak as of now.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
MST3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdonato View Post
cuz mac rocks, you all dumb butts
This may be true for much of what MACs do; but not for gaming.

If I need to haul big loads of lumber around, I'm not going to buy a Prius.
MST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST3K View Post

The hardware in at least the upper half of mac laptops should be plenty to run source games at high frame rates and settings. You can install windows on those laptops and verify this. The problem has to be partially driver performance and partially porting effort. I'd like to see Valve at least do everything they can on their end, but I recognize that source has had like ~8 years + original development time to bake in optimizations for the windows platform, and a much shorter time to work on optimizations for OS X, and that the ROI for such optimizations is smaller - not only because the marketshare is smaler, but also because these games are selling as fast as they did upon release (obviously).
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
apdonato

Quote:

Bad comparison yo, prius's blow no matter how you look at em..

I get smooth 60 fps on almost all my favorite games: rage, deus ex hr, cod4, valve games, etc. if that aint good gaming idk what is

on top of that, my macbook pro is a fine looker with good battery life and a beastly trackpad (twice the size of those wimpy alienware ones)

now you have a point with regards to game selection but that is quickly changing homeslice

Last edited by apdonato: 04-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
liquidMountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by teereks View Post
why buy mac then?
Plenty of people have reasons for buying a Mac despite realising its lack of .exe running.
liquidMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #12
nofing

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't buy a big truck, just to haul some lumber around, a few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxton0600 View Post
I really don´t understand why you buy mac instead of win pc when you want to play games. However Valve made Mac versions of their games and so they should try to keep it without bugs so I support you.
I really don't understand why you buy a win PC instead of a Playstation/Xbox when you want to play games.

You guys might not realize this, but there are people out there, that actually do other stuff, than just playing games, on their PCs/Macs.

Back on the actual topic, yes I'd really like to see Valve finally manning up and completely rebuilding Steam in cocoa, instead of sticking with this mess and only fixing a few bugs at a time (and creating new ones at the same time).
nofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
limbclock

You got to understand that Valve alone cannot do anything about this. All they can really do is to make sure that you get the maximum amount of performance out of their own games, with the limitations of the OS X as it stands on Lion and Snow Leopard.

If you really want equal rights, you'd need to petition ALL the developers, and ALL the porting houses to bring us all the cool games you want to play. Valve just acts as a gatekeeper to the Steam service, letting games to it, but they do not pay the devs to make mac ports. It's up to the devs themselves to make them. This is why some indie games take sometime to port: they use the money from the Steam sales to fund the mac porting.

I do wish that you'd spend more time in examining this issue, and figuring out how BIG it really is.
limbclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbclock View Post
You got to understand that Valve alone cannot do anything about this. All they can really do is to make sure that you get the maximum amount of performance out of their own games, with the limitations of the OS X as it stands on Lion and Snow Leopard.
Valve can do everything about fixing the bugs in Steam and Source on the Mac.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #15
limbclock

Note to self: Improve speed reading skills.
limbclock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam