Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story

Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
ctb

Any other games like this on Steam?

Seeing this sparked an interest in me.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Smertnik

If by 'like this' you mean piecing together information from reading a lot of messages you could check out the free predecessor Digital - A Love Story.

On the other hand, if you mean conversing with people (in the broad sense of the meaning) and forming relationships with them through multiple choice questions (i.e. one of the main genres of visual novels) then there's the likewise free Katawa Shoujo (there're a few other free ones but not nearly of the same quality). It's a rather big stretch from Analogue to this, though.

To answer your question directly: No, there aren't any games like this on Steam.
Smertnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
ctb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smertnik View Post
If by 'like this' you mean piecing together information from reading a lot of messages you could check out the free predecessor Digital - A Love Story.

On the other hand, if you mean conversing with people (in the broad sense of the meaning) and forming relationships with them through multiple choice questions (i.e. one of the main genres of visual novels) then there's the likewise free Katawa Shoujo (there're a few other free ones but not nearly of the same quality). It's a rather big stretch from Analogue to this, though.

To answer your question directly: No, there aren't any games like this on Steam.
Thanks for your help.
ctb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Palodin

Yeah, nothing else that could really be counted as the same genre on steam. Loadsa good VNs out there though.

http://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-0;o=d;s=pop

Best looking there for them I suppose

How you actually acquire them is a different matter, very few have an official English release so I wouldn't feel too bad about acquiring them via... less legitimate means.
Palodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
{Yotsuba}

very few have an official English release so I wouldn't feel too bad about acquiring them via... less legitimate means.

And that's partly why very few have been localized. The Japanese developers don't have any trust in western audiences actually buying their products after they've committed to the huge cost of localization. That, and the certain western media like to get the wrong end of the stick and cause a fuss all too often.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Palodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post
very few have an official English release so I wouldn't feel too bad about acquiring them via... less legitimate means.

And that's partly why very few have been localized. The Japanese developers don't have any trust in western audiences actually buying their products after they've committed to the huge cost of localization. That, and the certain western media like to get the wrong end of the stick and cause a fuss all too often.
I'd quite happily pay a reasonable price for an officialy localised VN but I'm not going to pay extra to import one and then have to fumble around finding a suitable fan translation for it just to prove to them I want them to bring them over. Catch 22, I suppose.

But yes, the media thing is a big problem too I suspect. I've heard of at least one retailer over in Japan blocking westeners from importing stuff over some controversy or other (Might've been rapelay, I can't remember). Media in the west, especially the US, is far too touchy on these issues.

Last edited by Palodin: 04-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Palodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Kuraudo

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is coming to steam at some point:

www.cherrytreehigh.com

youtube link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pItQiNBv4

Obviously, it's nothing like Analogue in tone or style, but it looks like more and more VN's are on their way. I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had a twitter discussion with Christine Love and she revealed that Steam actually approached her about putting her VN on the store.

Maybe they're fishing for more?
Kuraudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Kuraudo

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is coming to steam at some point:

www.cherrytreehigh.com

youtube link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pItQiNBv4

Obviously, it's nothing like Analogue in tone or style, but it looks like more and more VN's are on their way. I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had a twitter discussion with Christine Love and she revealed that Steam actually approached her about putting her VN on the store.

Maybe they're fishing for more?

I should add that you can pick it up digitally for 7.99 at their website.
Kuraudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
{Yotsuba}

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is coming to steam at some point

As much as I would love to support this trend on Steam, it's sadly published by Capcom, thus making it one of the majority of Japanese made games sold on Steam that cannot be purchased by anyone in Japan! Guess I'll be finding a UK/US friend to gift it to me.

I'd quite happily pay a reasonable price for an officialy localised VN but I'm not going to pay extra to import one and then have to fumble around finding a suitable fan translation for it just to prove to them I want them to bring them over.

I can understand that, but as you can see; we face the same problem. We cannot even actually buy homemade games via mainstream avenues such as Steam (even when they are available here in some form or another). The sad thing, when one publisher was asked why (I forget if it was Capcom or Konami), the response was, they were afraid of piracy and thus would not support digital distribution in Japan.

And as much as wish this new trend of VNs and dating sims, making their way to Steam could help to change that here; I know that Valve won't even attempt any such thing. Which is a shame. If they introduced the possibility of Steamworks and Steam distribution to the game making doujin circles, it could prove rather lucrative for all.

Last edited by {Yotsuba}: 04-30-2012 at 12:07 AM.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
LegionZero

Well, find the best of breed game - ever17 - if you like this you'll likely love that, you can still get it from j-box I believe...

Then there's remember 11, unofficial translation.

A lot of VN's are tatt but there are a few excellent ones, a number of good ones, and plenty of naff ones. Just like every other medium ;c)
LegionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
vvav

There aren't too many games specifically like Analogue, but if you think you like VNs, you should know that the vast majority of VNs are Japanese (like, there's one English VN for every 10,000 Japanese VNs). It's actually a huge market over there. You need to investigate that side of things if you're interested in reading more than the 3 or 4 decent English VNs that have been made. There are translations out for a lot of the best ones, but I don't believe there are any others on Steam. The guy up above who recommended Ever17 is on the money. You could also check out Narcissu, Planetarian, True Remembrance, Saya no Uta, Symphonic Rain.
vvav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
Xientie

Banned
Hello ctb,

Sounds like you might be interested in Winter Voices it is a hybrid RPG-Visual Novel, but it is very highly story driven.

Not a fan of the game myself, I thought it was kind of meh, but based on what everyone else has said in this thread, Winter Voices comes closer than most to being what your looking for.

There's a demo on Steam and the Developers website if you want to give it a spin, no need to waste money on the opinions of some random stranger.
Xientie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
madmarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xientie View Post
Winter Voices
I would wait until they've finished season one, if they ever even finish it. The game has been such a ramshackle project.
madmarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #14
TissueHime

For VNs that have been released in America, there is always the online store MangaGamer. They sell their visual novels with translations already on them. Most notable ones I can remember that they sell are the Higurashi games and the Da Capo games.
TissueHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
TamaSaga

I have a tip: If you don't have any Euros and if you're buying from MangaGamer, make sure that your credit card does not have a currency conversion fee.
TamaSaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story