Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #16
graspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad1 View Post
I can vouch for it as well. Its been flawless, and simple to do.
You must have been lucky. I have my common directory moved to a different hd using symlinks and some small percentage of games do have problems. Mostly the problem is when installing the game: it will download fine but then at the installing stage it will fail every time. The way round it is to move that game back to the real directory, download and install it, then when it's working, move it back and symlink it again and it will work from then on.

An example game that wouldn't work is Birth of America. Another one is one of the Command and Conquer games, I think Tiberium Wars.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
jimrad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
You must have been lucky. I have my common directory moved to a different hd using symlinks and some small percentage of games do have problems. Mostly the problem is when installing the game: it will download fine but then at the installing stage it will fail every time. The way round it is to move that game back to the real directory, download and install it, then when it's working, move it back and symlink it again and it will work from then on.

An example game that wouldn't work is Birth of America. Another one is one of the Command and Conquer games, I think Tiberium Wars.
Never had a problem moving or installing from a new location. Always worked for me. 528 games and counting with no errors yet. Birth of America works on mine fine, I only have Command and Conquer 3 but it works. I dont have a single game in the original SteamApps folder. The only thing I do different is I left the COMMON folder where it was. I just moved the game folders underneath. Just seemed easier to split them to 4 drives that way. Did you use one of the utilities or manually moved and linked them? Ive not used the utilities as of yet. I did everything manually then linked them. I liked to see if things have moved properly ect.

Last edited by jimrad1: 04-30-2012 at 05:29 AM.
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #18
Auyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3rk01 View Post
Steam mover... google it.

__________________________^THIS^__________________ _____
Auyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
NeilFawcett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad1 View Post
I can vouch for it as well. Its been flawless, and simple to do. I have steamapps spread over 4 drives and 10 folders. Just to keep things organized and easy to defrag.

STEAM/YourID/SteamAPPS/Common

Just highlight games you want to move, right click and hit CUT. Go to your new destination and choose PASTE. When its finished moving, highlight all the files at the new location, right click and PICK LINK SOURCE. Go back to the original location and pick DROP AS and choose JUNCTION.

Very easy stuff. Just to keep things simple, under a new drive root for example say D: I just create a new Folder called SteamAPPS 1 or STEAMAPPS 2. Just makes things easier to find later if you need to move them again.

Never had a problem with any game.

P.S. If you choose one of the apps, I suggest STEAM MOVER. Both do exactly the same steps as above really. I suggest STEAM MOVER because if you eventually choose to relocate to more than 2 locations, STEAM MOVER will see all these locations. STEAM TOOL only sees the original and one other location. STEAM MOVER you have as many locations as you want to use.

just fyi
So Steam Mover will let you move a single game around different drives and fo rlal intents and purposes it business as usual. ie: Not re-installs as you move it around different places etc etc!?
NeilFawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
TeKraken

it will,
Gamesave manager does the same but it can also be used to create backups of your game saves.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
Fatdude

Using SSD with Steam program itself is useless.Instead you should keep your Steam on D: and move whatever game that has a lot of loading screens or long loading times to your SSD C: drive.That will give a lot bigger boost for your games.
Fatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #22
NeilFawcett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdude View Post
Using SSD with Steam program itself is useless.Instead you should keep your Steam on D: and move whatever game that has a lot of loading screens or long loading times to your SSD C: drive.That will give a lot bigger boost for your games.
And with Steam Mover I can shuffle individual games backwards and forewards between C and D with no adverse effects?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
PieceOfMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilFawcett View Post
And with Steam Mover I can shuffle individual games backwards and forewards between C and D with no adverse effects?
That's pretty much the point, so yes. If it's a concern you can always backup the game folders anyway while you test out how reliable it is.
PieceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Satoru

Just remember one thing, if ANYTHING goes wrong with a specific game, you must move it back to wherever Steam is installed. Otherwise you can't troubleshoot anything.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
NeilFawcett

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfMind View Post
That's pretty much the point, so yes. If it's a concern you can always backup the game folders anyway while you test out how reliable it is.
Sorry, and IT moves it all for you!?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
PieceOfMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilFawcett View Post
Sorry, and IT moves it all for you!?
It was a while ago since I used Steam Mover but from what I remember, yes it moves it all for you. I'm sure there's documentation with the software explaining what it does.
PieceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #27
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
This did not belong in the Steam General Discussion forum. Please choose more appropriate forums for your threads in the future.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips