Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
Novanious90675

Banned
This guy clearly hasn't seen any gifted unusual Coupes.
Novanious90675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Ropeburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Dollars View Post
I want it to stay.

Trade something big and then change my name so the tag says "SUCKING BOUGHT THIS HAT".
YES. I like this idea.
Ropeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
The Enemy |

I disagree.
The Enemy | is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Jaydor

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
If gifting were the only way to trade that item, then why would a tag effect its price if it has to have that tag?
Because traders are stupid.
Jaydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Skro

It's a matter of preference more than anything else, although the price being driven down on items that are normally tradable is a contributing factor as well.

What I find pretty funny is all the people saying "You should be happy you got a gift" and "why would you remove the gifter's name when they were nice enough to give you one in the first place".

Do you all honestly do the same thing if you receive a gift in real life? Like taking the name tag off of a gift and permanently attaching it to whatever item was inside? No... you do the exact same thing every one else has ever done... you throw it in the trash with the Gift Wrap.
Skro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Novanious90675

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skro View Post
It's a matter of preference more than anything else, although the price being driven down on items that are normally tradable is a contributing factor as well.

What I find pretty funny is all the people saying "You should be happy you got a gift" and "why would you remove the gifter's name when they were nice enough to give you one in the first place".

Do you all honestly do the same thing if you receive a gift in real life? Like taking the name tag off of a gift and permanently attaching it to whatever item was inside? No... you do the exact same thing every one else has ever done... you throw it in the trash with the Gift Wrap.
I think the situation here is more similar to when the giver does something like writing a message or their name directly on the item; so you remember them whenever you see it.
Novanious90675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
seifer109

I was just thinking about this the other day.

if there was a tool you could buy in the store to clean gifted text I would be OK with it.
seifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Skro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanious90675 View Post
I think the situation here is more similar to when the giver does something like writing a message or their name directly on the item; so you remember them whenever you see it.
Except that's called a card... or a book. 99% of the gifts I ever received when I was still able to receive gifts had names/notes on the actual packaging or an accompanying card, not on the video game disc/board game/etc inside the actual package.

It's essentially the same argument if I bought you a new car and keyed my name into every paintable surface so you knew it was from me. You may look upon it fondly, but a vast majority of other people would be pretty disappointed by something like that.

To the others saying if it were a purchasable item, then it would be ok... I personally think that's a horrible idea. Going back to the same logic of real life gift-giving. You wouldn't force someone to pay the store you bought the item from to be able to remove the name of the gift-buyer.

Last edited by Skro: 05-01-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Skro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Dorian0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanious90675 View Post
This guy clearly hasn't seen any gifted unusual Coupes.
your ignorance is insulting, why not take a look at my bp?

button on the left... then inventory... prepare a fresh set of underwear (JK :P)

Anyway, glad to see people are actually reading the thrad instead of just the title, would love to see this become official, lets keep this thread alive.
Dorian0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Wulfra

I say nay. Some of those gifted items are autographed items. What would you do if you accidentally restored it? Other than goes ng through the trouble of getting it resigned, but what if that artist no longer plays/has a steam account? BUM BUM BUUUUM
Wulfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
MrLagineer

I disagree. They're called gifts for a reason. Wanting to remove the name and then trade the gift is a huge move in my opinion.
MrLagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Dorian0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfra View Post
I say nay. Some of those gifted items are autographed items. What would you do if you accidentally restored it? Other than goes ng through the trouble of getting it resigned, but what if that artist no longer plays/has a steam account? BUM BUM BUUUUM
well there is a reason why the game asks again if you want to restore an item :P

@ MrLagineer, so being forced to keep it on when it should be an option is cool with you? Does your mom make your lunch for you and pick your clothes as well? It isnt about if you got a gift or not, its about having that gifted text that stays permanately on an item, its not like your christmas gifts have the person whom you got it froms name imprited on them.

Also please actually read the thread before posting, it wastes your time and mine >.>
Dorian0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
MrLagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian0 View Post
so being forced to keep it on when it should be an option is cool with you?
Yes. It shouldn't be an option, let alone an idea. Who cares if there's a name on the item. Only traders who want their items "Clean" so they are worth more seem to.
MrLagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
The Enemy |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian0 View Post
@ MrLagineer, so being forced to keep it on when it should be an option is cool with you? Does your mom make your lunch for you and pick your clothes as well? It isnt about if you got a gift or not, its about having that gifted text that stays permanately on an item, its not like your christmas gifts have the person whom you got it froms name imprited on them.
If whoever's name is in it is such a problem, gift wrap it yourself and open up. Then your name is in it.
The Enemy | is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
Captain Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy | View Post
If whoever's name is in it is such a problem, gift wrap it yourself and open up. Then your name is in it.
This does not work. They made it so this cannotbe accomplished anymore.
Captain Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2