Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
dpakman91

bought Xcom ufo defense, problems running it

I purchased XCOM ufo defense. When I try to run the program without selecting "for win9x/xp," it glitches for about 30 seconds, then eventually does run full screen, but i'm unable to move or even see the mouse cursor to select "english."

when I select "for win9x/xp," it open a dialog box where i select dosbox and click open, and it tries to open dosbox but errors.

would love some help to get the program running...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
vartix

I think you maybe should try to run it though dosbox instead.
vartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
dpakman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartix View Post
I think you maybe should try to run it though dosbox instead.
yes, as i indicated in my original post, that doesn't work
dpakman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Threesixtyci

Probably should try these:
http://www.xcomufo.com/x1faq.html

Following is my guess of what may fix dosbox's version:

Copy dosbox.cnfg somewhere or make a copy and tack on .old at the end.
Open dosbox.cnfg with notepad and try these settings (I'm hoping that the output = ddraw is what gets it working):

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=orginal
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=60000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=500

(note: cycleup is Ctrl-F12 and cycledown is Ctrl-F11. Don't accidentally push Ctrl-F9, since that key combo kills dosbox.)

Embedded Dosbox commands are:
hese are the embedded commands for Dosbox, which can also be found in the dosbox manual.txt:

ALT-ENTER Switch to full screen and back.
ALT-PAUSE Pause emulation (hit ALT-PAUSE again to continue).
CTRL-F1 Start the keymapper.
CTRL-F4 Change between mounted floppy/CD images. Update directory cache
for all drives.
CTRL-ALT-F5 Start/Stop creating a movie of the screen. (avi video capturing)
CTRL-F5 Save a screenshot. (PNG format)
CTRL-F6 Start/Stop recording sound output to a wave file.
CTRL-ALT-F7 Start/Stop recording of OPL commands. (DRO format)
CTRL-ALT-F8 Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands.
CTRL-F7 Decrease frameskip.
CTRL-F8 Increase frameskip.
CTRL-F9 Kill DOSBox.
CTRL-F10 Capture/Release the mouse.
CTRL-F11 Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).
CTRL-F12 Speed up emulation (Increase DOSBox Cycles)*.
ALT-F12 Unlock speed (turbo button/fast forward)**.
F11, ALT-F11 (machine=cga) change tint in NTSC output modes***
F11 (machine=hercules) cycle through amber, green, white colouring***

Otherwise, you should try running the game directly from the most recent version of Dosbox, removing Xcom from Steam, altogether. Which means you'll have to understand how Dosbox works. Mainly of how to mount a window's directory into a Dos directory. And then copy all the Xcom files into the emulated Dos directory. And then set the game up through Dosbox.

Also one thing I read that's broken in the CE version of Xcom UFO Defense is the Blaster Bombs. In the CE version you can't go same tile vertical with the bombs, when you try to go vertical the bomb goes to the lower left corner of the screen, instead. Doesn't matter if the AI tries to go vertical or you do, will go to the lower left of the screen. Dosbox version doesn't have that problem.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?t...aster_Bomb_Bug

Last edited by Threesixtyci: 05-01-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Threesixtyci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
dpakman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci View Post
Probably should try these:
http://www.xcomufo.com/x1faq.html

Following is my guess of what may fix dosbox's version:

Copy dosbox.cnfg somewhere or make a copy and tack on .old at the end.
Open dosbox.cnfg with notepad and try these settings (I'm hoping that the output = ddraw is what gets it working):

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=orginal
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=60000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=500

(note: cycleup is Ctrl-F12 and cycledown is Ctrl-F11. Don't accidentally push Ctrl-F9, since that key combo kills dosbox.)

Embedded Dosbox commands are:
hese are the embedded commands for Dosbox, which can also be found in the dosbox manual.txt:

ALT-ENTER Switch to full screen and back.
ALT-PAUSE Pause emulation (hit ALT-PAUSE again to continue).
CTRL-F1 Start the keymapper.
CTRL-F4 Change between mounted floppy/CD images. Update directory cache
for all drives.
CTRL-ALT-F5 Start/Stop creating a movie of the screen. (avi video capturing)
CTRL-F5 Save a screenshot. (PNG format)
CTRL-F6 Start/Stop recording sound output to a wave file.
CTRL-ALT-F7 Start/Stop recording of OPL commands. (DRO format)
CTRL-ALT-F8 Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands.
CTRL-F7 Decrease frameskip.
CTRL-F8 Increase frameskip.
CTRL-F9 Kill DOSBox.
CTRL-F10 Capture/Release the mouse.
CTRL-F11 Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).
CTRL-F12 Speed up emulation (Increase DOSBox Cycles)*.
ALT-F12 Unlock speed (turbo button/fast forward)**.
F11, ALT-F11 (machine=cga) change tint in NTSC output modes***
F11 (machine=hercules) cycle through amber, green, white colouring***

Otherwise, you should try running the game directly from the most recent version of Dosbox, removing Xcom from Steam, altogether. Which means you'll have to understand how Dosbox works. Mainly of how to mount a window's directory into a Dos directory. And then copy all the Xcom files into the emulated Dos directory. And then set the game up through Dosbox.

Also one thing I read that's broken in the CE version of Xcom UFO Defense is the Blaster Bombs. In the CE version you can't go same tile vertical with the bombs, when you try to go vertical the bomb goes to the lower left corner of the screen, instead. Doesn't matter if the AI tries to go vertical or you do, will go to the lower left of the screen. Dosbox version doesn't have that problem.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?t...aster_Bomb_Bug

ok it does run when i made those changed, but it does give a patch code timed out error when it loads, and then when i try to move the mouse just to select "english," the cursor skips from being on the far left to the far right of the screen, essentially unusable. what might you try next?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Threesixtyci

I don't know what a patch code time out error is.

[sdl]
sensitivity=100
That controls the sensitivity of the mouse. But doubt it'll fix whatever problem you're having.

I'd Download the newest version of Dosbox.
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Move xcom to it's own directory outside of Steam. Mount that directory as C: drive in Dosbox.cnfg. And try playing the game that way.
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502

I never tried the following method, but maybe if you follow this you'll get it working: http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/index.ph...m:_UFO_Defense

Last edited by Threesixtyci: 05-02-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
dpakman91

Quote:
I don't know what a patch code time out error is.

[sdl]
sensitivity=100
That controls the sensitivity of the mouse. But doubt it'll fix whatever problem you're having.

I'd Download the newest version of Dosbox.
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Move xcom to it's own directory outside of Steam. Mount that directory as C: drive in Dosbox.cnfg. And try playing the game that way.
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502

I never tried the following method, but maybe if you follow this you'll get it working: http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/index.ph...m:_UFO_Defense
okay, did that...it is telling me 'this program cannot be run in DOS mode' when I try to run the EXE.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
NKF

You can't run the Windows executable through Dosbox. The dos version of UFO is launched using a .bat file. Most commonly ufo.bat.

- NKF
NKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
dpakman91

very good, that worked! Last question: how can i full screen/maximize dosbox? It opens in a small window, and the "maximize" button is grayed out.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
dpakman91

correction, i found out alt=enter gets me full screen, however the problem is that when in full screen the mouse no longer moves the cursor...any ideas on fixing that?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
dpakman91

any ideas on this mouse issue?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Threesixtyci

Is autolock set to true?
Ctrl F10 toggles the mouse capture/release.

I don't have any of your problems though.

Last edited by Threesixtyci: 05-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
dpakman91

Quote:
Is autolock set to true?
Ctrl F10 toggles the mouse capture/release.

I don't have any of your problems though.
autolock was set to true, i changed it to false and tried it, mouse still locked on fullscreen. tried Ctrl F10, didn't do anything though. anything else i could try?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
Threesixtyci

What executable are you using to start the game in Dosbox?
Only add on I use is Xcomutil. The executable to start the game for Xcomutil is: Runxcom
Without Xcomutil installed, executable should be: xcom

What's your desktop resolution set to? Mine's set to 1600x900. Although, maybe you should try something even lower.

When running the executable inside Dosbox:
Intro should run
then a security prompt which xcomutil sets to zero's otherwise you have to look up the page in the manual and enter the code for that given page.
Then the new game/load/exit screen

I don't own the Steam version of this game, so there is no way I can walk you through to a solution. I just know how to get the Msdos version of the game working from the CD-rom (as well as TFTD and Apocalypse). I also don't have any of the patches installed. I didn't like the death sounds from the patches. Only real benefit from the patch that I can remember is that it got rid of the DRM. Think it just bypassed the code thing. But it's been so long that I don't really remember, anymore.

-------------------------

My process of installing XCOM:Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense from the MSdos CDrom is this:
First you install Dosbox.
I make a sub-directory called, DOS, on one of my HDD's that I put all my Dos stuff in.
Then configure Dosbox to use C prompt for it's HDD directory. In my case it's Z:\Dos
(For example if your HDD is lettered Z in Windows)
mount C z:\DOS -freesize 870

(don't ask me what the -freesize 870 was for. I don't remember.)
Then configure dosbox to see your CD-rom under D prompt.
(For example if your DVD drive is set to letter E in windows)
mount D E:\ -t cdrom

Run Dosbox and inside Dosbox type (followed by enter, after each line):
XCOPY D:*.* C:\XCOM /S
INSTALL C:\XCOM
CDSETUP C:

Game should run from this point, but it will ask you that security code. To zero out the security code (in that all answers equals a bunch of zeros) and to fix the difficulty, you install xcomutil. Which just amounts to unzipping the files into the Xcom's directory. And running it.

From there you just tweak stuff to your liking.

Can even make a .bat file on the main directory, so you dont' have to type cd xcom then runxcom. Do that by making a .bat file with notepad with these lines:
cd xcom
RUNXCOM
name it something like: X.bat
Then you only have to type X then Enter in the C prompt, and the game will start.

------------

Now the above may be able to be partially used for Steam. It depends if Steam has what's on the CD-rom buried somewhere. Like maybe the CDrom info is in that xcom sub-directory (C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\xcom).

If so, you could mount that sub directory into Dosbox. Then use the same Xcopy command to install the game directly inside Dosbox. Although, it'll be much easier to mount for Dosbox, by coping that Xcom sub-directory out of Steam and place it into a main directory, somewhere. Then mounting it from that newer location, instead. Otherwise, the Path is going to be real long in the mount command for Dosbox. In that you only need this mount for the install process, not for the actual playing part.

This mount will take place of the CD rom mount above.
(for example if you copy the files to C:\xcom in windows)
mount D C:\xcom
instead of mount D E:\ -t cdrom
Then you can continue on with the Xcopy command.
XCOPY D:*.* C:\XCOM /S
INSTALL C:\XCOM
CDSETUP C:

Xcopy is a copy command, a clone type of copy.
Install C:\xcom is the original dos command to install the game.
CDsetup C: is also an original setup up command that tells the game what drive letter the CD-rom is at. But since we used the Xcopy command to clone the disk into the same directory that the game installed itself into. Setting the CDsetup command to C drive is good enough for the game to find it's needed disk info, to run the game.

-------------

Terror of the Deep is was a bit easier to install to the HDD. ToTD had a hidden executable that would do a full installation to the HDD. Executable was hidden in a directory called Harddrive. Okay not so hidden, but easily overlooked.

------------
Apocalypse required mounting the Disk. In that Dosbox can mount .iso files for it's own use. So basically you'd mount the ISO file and then install the game from inside Dosbox. Then make a .bat file such as this to run the game:

cycles=50000
IMGmount G i:\DOS\XCOMA\DISK\XCOMA.ISO -t iso
Cd xcoma
xcomapoc skip

cycles you play with to adjust the speed of Dosbox
IMGmount command is self explanitory.... In the above case G drive is acting as a Cd-rom drive. And "I" drive with path is where the ISO file is actually located at inside windows.
xcoma is where is the directory I installed apocalypse into while inside Dosbox. CD of course means Change Directory (a dos command, that you should already know).
xcomapoc is the executable to start xcom apocalypse game. Skip is the command to skip the intro movie.

You place that bat file on the main directory inside Dosbox. You can name the bat file anything you want. Just type it's name in C prompt inside Dosbox and it runs the bat file, which should run the game.

----------------

Just know that I have the disk versions of all 3 of these games.... I bought them when these games were release. I don't know how Steam's versions are set up. No real reason for me to buy Steam's versions to find out. Also, I have all these games installed on a pen drive. Basically, allows me to play these games on any computer. I just have to force the pen drive to use a specific drive letter (via Disk Manager). And if the drive letter is in use, I have to adjust my .bat files to use a different drive letter, instead.

Last edited by Threesixtyci: 05-16-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Radical_Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
but i'm unable to move or even see the mouse cursor to select "english."
Just left click once to see if that activates the mouse...
Radical_Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series