Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #31
MadFriar

Wow...wasn't trying to start a war here people. Stay on Task. Is Section 8 Games for Windows Live?... YES! Thread accomplished. Nothing to see here. Please disperse!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
EricJD

I wish every game had GFWL. The more achievement points the merrier!
EricJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #33
MadFriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJD View Post
Agreed. I have had minimal, if any issues with GFWL so I'm not in the boat as most. I downloaded Section 8 and it fired right up without issues at all as is usually the case for me. However, most of my PC games are GFWL although I do also have a large number of Steam games I like to play.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
ChromeBallz

GFWL is NOT actually for Windows. The official name is still "Xbox Live", not "Games for Windows Live". The one time i needed support with something, they kept telling me to "log into my Xbox" even though i repeatedly told them that i don't have one.

Support is plain awful. If you have a problem you shouldn't count on them to solve it, whatever it is.

Quote:
Please don't force it on me. I've had nothing but problems and major annoyances with it.

Last edited by ChromeBallz: 12-29-2010 at 12:15 PM.
ChromeBallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #35
Chapa9dj

Quote:
Nope.
Keep your LIVE achievemments in your console.
Me, as a PC gamer, i'm not interested in that type of crap.
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
sarid

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protein214x View Post
under missing features they are missing you cant join a party chat with your 360 friends, you are stuck doing it the way when the 360 first launched, 1 on 1 voice chat.

whats that? you got a video cam? sorry that doesnt work on the pc to 360 even though we are having you use the same thing...
sarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #37
fobban

Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coledash View Post
Thanks for telling about the GFWL, I was soo close buying the game but luckily I saw this topic first. I wonder why there is no mention on the steam store page about this?
I bought it just to read this topic afterwards.. Crap! Why can't they list this crap on the store page??
fobban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
xTaz81x

Banned
It is GFWL. End of discussion.
xTaz81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #39
mikedenney

Section 8 lockup issues--not GFWL for me...renderer?

Hey guys, not only did I 'Google' to find this thread, but also joined the forum to post my own experience, so, that being said, at least I'm being honest about it...
I was having lockup issues trying to see if Section 8 (original--not 'Prejudice') would play on a tower I have, essentially a Dell Inspiron 580 with an ATI HD2600 card.
The game would get through all the intro logos, then the tower would just shut down (no blue-screen) when it attempted to play the first cut-scene anims, after the game loaded.
For me, it was the ATI card...I'd troubleshot the thing thinking the power supply was too weak, but wondering, since the card itself doesn't even have molex power connections on it. It wasn't the P/S, though, because the problem continued after I replaced it with a fairly strong 580W modular one that runs everything I play (incl. Section 8, come to remember, on a different build).
I had already downloaded directX from the GFWL link, that didn't work, so I continued on to try out the internal video.
Since this Dell has an HDMI port, I figured maybe the thing would run the game on its own internal video, and it did.
It ran through any and all the built-in 'Section 8' video tests (but of course, performing fairly poorly--best avg. FR never approached 30, even...they were all around 18); I tested screen resolutions from top to bottom (1680x1050 down to 1024x768) and it performed tolerably at all resolution settings to be playable.
I'm not testing shadow and game detail settings, because the internal video is too slow to merit that, but it will be okay whenever I'm too dang lazy to walk 50 feet to my 360.
Anyway, the whole problem, IMHO (tech, not a gamer, here), was likely some aspect of the renderer in that ATI card--the 2600, despite having 1GB internal RAM, wasn't up to spec on either the pixel shading (most likely), or maybe even something else. I wouldn't give the video driver any more attention, since I'd tried using Microsoft's, and then ATIs, with no solve on either.
mikedenney is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series