Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II

Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
James009

Lightbulb Game of Thrones Comment...

Looking at Game of Thrones through Crusader Kings 2...

DANGER: Spoiler alert! If you haven't watched season one, go away. Also, no spoiling beyond season 1.

I've discovered that I don't think Ned Stark really had a firm grasp of the intricate web-weaving and conspiracy that's going on behind the scenes; admittedly, he was a self-proclaimed soldier, not a master of intrigue. Stark just didn't seem to understand that people would lie, fabricate claims, assassinate, and back-stab. He was a good man, just outside of his depth. The sad thing was that everyone else knew he didn't have the gusto to lead and kept telling him. He did appear to be a great steward though... likely a high martial and stewarding skill.

That being said, he did basically fabricate a claim of his own when the King died by signing the son's claims on the throne. However, it was too little, too late and ineffective.

Intrigue is just one way to "play" the "Game of Thrones" but it seemed really powerful in the series, not to mention gives you some great opportunities in Crusader Kings. However, I suspect that intrigue, on it's own, will not get you very far, win you many allies, or emerge victorious in many battles.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
cadetstick

Funny story, I am watching this right now.
cadetstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Milkycookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James009 View Post
Looking at Game of Thrones through Crusader Kings 2...

DANGER: Spoiler alert! If you haven't watched season one, go away. Also, no spoiling beyond season 1.

I've discovered that I don't think Ned Stark really had a firm grasp of the intricate web-weaving and conspiracy that's going on behind the scenes; admittedly, he was a self-proclaimed soldier, not a master of intrigue. Stark just didn't seem to understand that people would lie, fabricate claims, assassinate, and back-stab. He was a good man, just outside of his depth. The sad thing was that everyone else knew he didn't have the gusto to lead and kept telling him. He did appear to be a great steward though... likely a high martial and stewarding skill.

That being said, he did basically fabricate a claim of his own when the King died by signing the son's claims on the throne. However, it was too little, too late and ineffective.

Intrigue is just one way to "play" the "Game of Thrones" but it seemed really powerful in the series, not to mention gives you some great opportunities in Crusader Kings. However, I suspect that intrigue, on it's own, will not get you very far, win you many allies, or emerge victorious in many battles.
Some are born to lead not to read.
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Ebannaw1

Eddard Stark is one of my favorite characters on the show, and you're right to point out that he doesn't have an understanding of the way people were. He has too much honor, something everyone around him lacked.

There's a funny bit in S2 E2,

Spoiler:
Tyrion is threatened in a nonchalant way, typical of the eunuch, since he has become the new Hand of the King. Tyrion tells the eunuch that he is not Ned Stark. To which the eunuch responds "Stark was an honorable man". Tyrion promptly replies "and I am not". It was a bad moment.

Last edited by Ebannaw1: 04-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Ebannaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
James009

Thumbs up On power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebannaw1 View Post
There's a funny bit in S2 E2...
Yeah, I loved that quote.

On an unrelated note, also loved the verbal/physical spat between "Littlefinger" and the Queen about power.

Spoiler:
"Prominent families often forget a simple truth, knowledge is power."
Guards restrain him and the Queen almost has him killed.
"Power is power"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTc8Chvw5k

Fantastic.
James009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
mr monster

Haven't seen it; as long as corporate greed keeps if from Redbox and Netflix until it fades from relevance I won't either.
mr monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Milkycookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James009 View Post
Yeah, I loved that quote.

On an unrelated note, also loved the verbal/physical spat between "Littlefinger" and the Queen about power.

Spoiler:
"Prominent families often forget a simple truth, knowledge is power."
Guards restrain him and the Queen almost has him killed.
"Power is power"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTc8Chvw5k

Fantastic.
Which is why people of honor, honesty, integrity do not thrive in political arenas. They seldom get things done, because they're too damn nice. You have to be a right 'o bastard to not only seize the reigns of power but keep it as well. Just make sure you pay your historians a good sum of money or the threat of dismemberment to write a good yarn about how honorable, honest, and 'good' you were. Also, don't forget to kill everybody else who might say otherwise.
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Hewitt212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monster View Post
Haven't seen it; as long as corporate greed keeps if from Redbox and Netflix until it fades from relevance I won't either.
That's a shame. Best TV show in a decade. Nothing of this quality will ever reach netflix...Lovefilm maybe.
Hewitt212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
kaffis

I'd kill for an A Song of Ice and Fire mod for CK2.

*Hint, hint* modding community.
kaffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
InfiniteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
I'd kill for an A Song of Ice and Fire mod for CK2.
There is one being made, check the paradox forums. You need to register your game to be able to see the modding forums.
InfiniteRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Dunwich Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt212 View Post
That's a shame. Best TV show in a decade. Nothing of this quality will ever reach netflix...Lovefilm maybe.
Sorry, but I'm a fan of Game of Thrones, having read the first book when it first hit the shelves and was easily one of the greatest reads I think I ever read at the time. And while the show is quite good, my personal opinion is the acting and filming can't hold a candle to Mad Men, and the first four seasons of that are on Netflix. I don't see any recent TV show coming anywhere near Mad Men's quality. Certainly not Game of Thrones (...an opinion, of course).

Then there's Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and The Tudors is pretty good from what I've seen so far and actually a bit more relevant to someone playing Crusader Kings II.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand and the second season prequel to the first season's story both used to be on Netflix and I personally felt were much more entertaining than the first season of Game of Thrones as well. Dexter was a better show on there, too, but now gone. Definitely miss those shows on there.

I could go on, actually. Tons of classic comedy TV series, both old and new. I'm not really a fan of Star Trek but I think every single episode of the old and newer seasons are currently available.

So... Now what was that again about nothing of Game of Thrones quality ever reaching Netflix?

(And I'm only talking about what's currently available on Netflix for instant streaming. Their DVD selection is irrelevant to me.)
Dunwich Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II