Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
Heids24

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
It's an udpated Elven Legacy engine. Nothing to do with Civ V tech wise.
I doubt that. Looking at the 2nd pic at the below link, I would have thought it was Civ V until I looked much closer at it. Why? Because it looks EXACTLY like Civ V. Although I've read somewhere that they did build their own engine from the ground up. Clearly got their inspiration from Civ V though.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...of-the-arcane/

Last edited by Heids24: 04-28-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Heids24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #17
targetbsp

Errm... there's nothing to doubt. It's fact.
The game is by the developers of Elven Legacy using their engine which pre-dates Civ V.

It's a shame everyone is familiar with Civ and not the Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy games because they are great games. Civ is too obviously.

[edit]
More details about the engine here for those interested: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ivilization-5-!

Last edited by targetbsp: 04-28-2012 at 06:03 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
just_dont_do_it

It's rather obvious that they "creatively copied" all the good stuff from Civ5. However, as people already said, it uses an updated Elven Legacy engine.

PS: Ontopic. This game has *nothing* to do with Majesty (Ino-co already failed big time on Majesty 2), it's an attempt to piece together an indirect sequel to Elven Legacy while looking at Civ5+mods for inspiration.
just_dont_do_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
targetbsp

I don't think it's really a simplified version of Civ. It's not trying to be the same game. It's more of a tactical wargame than Civ is. It feels more like Elven Legacy on a large scale sandbox Civ type map rather than EL's campaign structure or Civ's tech/infrastructure focused style of play.

Frankly, this is pretty much my dream game!

As for majesty, it's just supposed to be in the same world with the lore of that game - not related to it in any other way. It's not like it even attempts to use the series name?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
amirfoox

Don't get me wrong, here, I loved the demo and already pre-purchased, but when I first started playing, I was actually laughing out loud to myself at how much of a Civ 5 clone this game appears to be.

It plays differently and it's much more unique and fun than Civ 5, but still, you can't and you don't have to defend everything the devs did just to show your support or attempt to find excuses for their nearly blatant plagiary. This is not even inspired by Civ 5, this has the game's entire interface, units' animation, movement and combat mechanics, building mechanics, unit leveling-up system and even the in-city interface.

I won't hold the devs to it (after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), because, like I said, it's an excellent game all on its own, but it is by no means simply an expanded Elven Legacy interface. It's a Civ 5 imitation, period.
amirfoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
targetbsp

I can't deny the look of the game but the combat mechanics, and the upgrades *are* straight up Elven Legacy if you ask me? And it predates Civ V. Paradox even see it the other way around: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post13572798
Guess they are returning the favour my borrowing bits from Civ V.

The problem is that everyone has played Civ V and no-one has played FW/EL.

Last edited by targetbsp: 04-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
targetbsp

Here's a copy of the first thing I wrote about this game on another forum shortly after it appeared in Steam news (before anyone was discussing it here):
"This looks worth a look!
The latest game in the Majesty series is turn based rather than RTS: Warlock - Master of the Arcane
Looks Elven Legacy-ish (which they also published)"

I didn't even see the Civ likeness until others pointed it out. So I'm not denying it to defend the game. It is my personal view of it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Essedarius

They even copied Sean Connery.
Essedarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
amirfoox

I honestly wish no quarrel with you, but again, I disagree. This is not a matter of different points of view.

Here's Elven Legacy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFqe...eature=related

which, if you ask me, looks like the battles in one of the latest Heroes of Might and Magic.

Here's Civ 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95W0...feature=relmfu

Now here's Warlock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZVr...feature=relmfu

True, it's a bit more streamlined, but there's just no denying it, sorry. And it doesn't matter which came first, you can see for yourself what games look more alike.

Essedarius, you're probably trying to be cute, but I honestly love this guy's voice over from Majesty. He's one of my favorite memories from that game.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
targetbsp

HoMM and Elven Legacy are nothing alike. I'm really confused now.

Civ and Warlock are as different to me as I imagine CoD and battlefield are to FPS fans. I'm assuming they are different or this argument doesn't much work.

[edit]
I wonder if you can maybe play it either way? Because I see it as Elven Legacy that's how I play it. As a Tactics game with a small army where each unit is incredibly valuable, levelled up tons and geared almost RPG like.
I wonder if you could probably equally well play it Civ style churning out tons of identical and expendable but cheap (un-upgraded) units to spam at your enemy? Then the game would feel a lot more Civ like.

Last edited by targetbsp: 04-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
Essedarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirfoox View Post
...trying to be cute...
Not cute. Actually, I am devilishly handsome but that is besides the point.

Although I do like the cloned Connery voice, I think it just takes away from the uniqueness of the game and gives it instead a Hollywood-esque feel. Hollyweird is something I'm not too fond of personally.

Wait! What am I typing?!?! Come to think of it, there actually is nothing unique about this game at all! Every aspect of it is from something known all ready. But that won't keep me from buying it. I will consider a purchase after a few months, provided that reviews/scores be above average and bugs be a'zapped...bzz//bzz//zap..
Essedarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
targetbsp

You have to have the Sean Connery sound-alike in a Majesty game. It's tradition!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #28
Borks

I got to come back at my previous statement.. from watching some gameplay videos/previews it really gives the impression of being the same as civ 5, but in fact i have just played the demo a few hours, and i am actualy pleasantly surprised by how different the gameplay feels compared to civ type games, the only thing i find a bit disappointing is the lack of any worthwhile diplomacy system, but im definitely going to give this game a try.
Borks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
amirfoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
HoMM and Elven Legacy are nothing alike. I'm really confused now.

Civ and Warlock are as different to me as I imagine CoD and battlefield are to FPS fans. I'm assuming they are different or this argument doesn't much work.
Ummmm, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly - I wasn't saying it has the same GAMEPLAY as Heroes of M&M, I was saying its interface and overall look and feel is similar, that's all. But that is not the point of this argument.

Anyway, instead of repeating myself over and over, I'll agree to disagree with you and leave it at that
What's important here is that, just like you, I really look forward to this game already.

Essedarius, oh my...you were serious, weren't you? This is not some Sean Connery wannabe, it is Majesty's advisor, which gave this old game most of its personality. I really missed him and I'm glad to have him back. As far as I know, Sean Connery hasn't patented the Scottish accent just yet
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #30
Hliey

The reason I like this game is the slight similarities to Age of Wonders. Surprised I've not seen anyone mention that one yet, also a great game I've loved for ages.

I do hope they add more races as well as wizards. Certainly look forward to possibly playing some multiplayer with friends later down the line too.
Hliey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane