Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Art & Sound Design

Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
another_someone

In-game skinning issue

Hi there, im a bit stuck with a skinning issue that only appears with the in-game model. In 3ds max these skinning issues are not present. It's as if the skin is being influenced by something else or as i have shown in one of the images below, is it possible that the physics model is effecting it ? If you take a look at the physics model overlay you will see how the lengths of the limbs are not matched to the bones or mesh.

If someone can help me out with this i'd really appreciate it as im stumped.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
episoder

since you don't use elbow and knee helper bones you have to blend those vertices' boneweights between the lower and upper bones. with a ratio of... say 0.5 - 0.5. they sure have a boneweight close to 1.0 for both bones and that's what it looks like.

dunno how you got that collision model done but it looks like you modeled that on a different project in a different scale and just throw the bones all over. maybe you could do it simple and: load both in max and overlay it at the same absolute scale and fix the collision model that way. a simple scale down should do.

hope it helps.
episoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
another_someone

Hey, thx for your suggestions. I must add that i have compiled a different model before, using the same rig and skinning techniques used here and i did not experience this problem, that too was without any elbow or knee helper bones. Im still wondering about the physics model influencing things somehow. I've tried to follow tutorials i can find to make a physics model, however when i do, it doesnt seem to work as it should. The one i have shown in the image above seems to be autogenerated when i compile the model if i export the same model_ref.smd as a ragdoll.smd. It's funny how it matches the model well, but not the bone joints. So i was wondering if you know of any good guides for making a physics model
another_someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
episoder

the general error is the vertices assigned to multiple bones with wrong weights. can't say how max does that. it seem it's trying to auto-assign the collision models to multiple bones. that's wrong. if so maybe you do it manually?!

maybe you could also use a simplyfied rig just for the collision assignment. then:

for the physics model you just need to assign (manually) all the vertices of one collision part to one bone. example: all vertices of the left foot collision need to be attached to the left foot bone.

it's rather simple.
episoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
another_someone

Yes, that's what i thought, i've attempted several simple meshes, the last one ended up as a single large primitive object floating around the bip01 of the character in hlmv. Prior to that i had lots of exploded primitive pieces(from my simple model) in addition to the more complex one that i have the image of. Im currently remaking a simple one and maybe i'll have more luck this time. Also i've noticed that when i hit the "physics" tab in the HLMV the character assumes the scale of a giant in comparison to my model and everything is stretched. Im not quite sure where this is being referenced from since all i have exported and compiled is from my model.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
another_someone

I managed to get a simple physics model to work and compile correctly now. The skinning issue remains, so im happy that the physics model is ruled out from causing that. But when i hit the physics tab it still scales up the rig to a giant ;/ Maybe now i will focus back on the skinning in max to see if anything i do makes it better, the only success i had early on was to give vert weightings to one bone, but that is going to look REALLY bad, and its odd as i didn't need to do this the last time i made a model.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
another_someone

Ok here are some better images of what is happening. I first tried excluding all of the verts for the leg from the model and in HLMV rightly so, the leg mesh did not move. Then i assigned 1 loop of verts .5 to the thigh bone and .5 to the calf bone and i still had the same problem despite being evenly split between only 2 bones. I then thought maybe its a problem with the mesh so i made a box primitive and skinned that...same problem. Then to rule out the kind of bones i am using i made a new custom bone, skinned it up to the primitive, and as you can see in the latest images i have posted here now, its still happening.
How it looks in HLMV
How it looks in 3ds max
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
another_someone

I have made a slight step towards finding out what's wrong. When i previously made a model it was a larger scale. However, this model is smaller and when i scale it up and export and compile it, all problems are fixed. I said before that i clicked on the 'physics tab' and my model was scaled to a giant. I think this may be where the problem i am having lies. I need to change whatever is making that physics tab skeleton be the same size as my model. I havent found out where this is controlled, if someone has any ideas, please can you let me know, as the scaled up model which solves the skinning issue makes the model WAY too big for the game.
Here you can see how the scale is normal, then when i click the physics tab the model is being stretched. My reference_model.smd/ragdoll.smd/ragdoll_pose.smd are all the same scale. So where is this giant skeleton being created ???

Last edited by another_someone: 05-01-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added images of problem
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
another_someone

Turns out the values for the bones in my $definebone file were not from the current version of the rig, i think this was causing the issue as now it appears fixed.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Art & Sound Design